Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs

DrchocolateMi

Awards
cooked eggs, raw eggs are dangerous to take, at least 1 out of every 10 contains salmanilla. at least according to my genral nutrition professor said.but cooked is better bc cooked eggs are easier to break down for the body than raw eggs

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cooked eggs, raw eggs are dangerous to take, at least 1 out of every 10 contains salmanilla. at least according to my genral nutrition professor said.but cooked is better bc cooked eggs are easier to break down for the body than raw eggs
I agree, cook them. However, having previously had a raw or two whites in a shake, I will state that 1 in 10 is horribly off. I remember in another thread someone mentioned 1 in 150,000 and that was based off an older study, im sure its improved since then.

DrchocolateMi

Awards
ya, thats y i said according to my genral nutrtion professor. she could have just been saying 1 out of 10 to keep us from eating them raw, she could have been completely exaggerating.

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've read that cooking eggs denatures the protein in it

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
This is one of those topics for the ages. Most everyone will tell you to fully cook your eggs. I personally drink liquid egg whites each day, albeit they are pasteurized, they are far from cooked. It works for me. As far as eating whole eggs/yolks, I either hard boil eggs or scramble and pan fry them.

According to eggwhitesint.com:

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

ref: http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm

This is the same process for the liquid eggs that I drink.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've read that cooking eggs denatures the protein in it
Well, yeah, it denatures the protein - but so does your stomach. Pretty much every protein you eat is denatured and broken down into di- or tri-peptides before it actually is absorbed by the small intestine. Whole proteins are, in general, far too large to fit through the transporters responsible for protein uptake.

That denaturing effect is what you want, it won't detract from the nutrition of the egg, it just makes digestion easier.

This is one of those topics for the ages. Most everyone will tell you to fully cook your eggs. I personally drink liquid egg whites each day, albeit they are pasteurized, they are far from cooked. It works for me. As far as eating whole eggs/yolks, I either hard boil eggs or scramble and pan fry them.

According to eggwhitesint.com:

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

ref: http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm

This is the same process for the liquid eggs that I drink.
As you point out, pasteurized egg whites are very different from raw. Thought they're still liquid, but they've been heated enough that protein denaturing and sterilization occurs, giving them some of the benefits of cooked eggs. I've looked into these in the past and would to give them a try at some point, but man are they pricey.

UKStrength

Well, yeah, it denatures the protein
Crikey moses, I think we need to start a basic human biology class in digestion, the number of times we get 'it might denature the protein' coming up :)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crikey moses, I think we need to start a basic human biology class in digestion, the number of times we get 'it might denature the protein' coming up :)
:lol: Not a bad idea. I think most folks don't realize that low pH + stomach enzymes make the stomach the perfect environment to destroy most macromolecules thrown in there.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
As you point out, pasteurized egg whites are very different from raw. Thought they're still liquid, but they've been heated enough that protein denaturing and sterilization occurs, giving them some of the benefits of cooked eggs. I've looked into these in the past and would to give them a try at some point, but man are they pricey.
Right, they are pricey @ $2.49 per 16 oz. but man let me tell you, the ease of slamming back 8 oz's along with a handful of almonds for a snack makes it justifiable. Egg White Int. is a bit more pricey. I'd recommend going to your local grocer and price out the cartons. It's essentially the same price as a protein bar, you get strait up egg white protein and none of the fillers and I'll call it "garbage" they put in those bars along with a the little bit of protein in 'em.

I'm all about convenience in this regard.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The chances of picking up salmonella from eggs is fairly low since the egg has to be harboring the bacteria for you to get it in the first place, but still, it's all about the efficiency of digestion in this case. BUT you do eliminate the risk to 0% if you cook them, so... Yeah, cook 'em!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right, they are pricey @ $2.49 per 16 oz. but man let me tell you, the ease of slamming back 8 oz's along with a handful of almonds for a snack makes it justifiable. Egg White Int. is a bit more pricey. I'd recommend going to your local grocer and price out the cartons. It's essentially the same price as a protein bar, you get strait up egg white protein and none of the fillers and I'll call it "garbage" they put in those bars along with a the little bit of protein in 'em.

I'm all about convenience in this regard.
You're absolutely right - I have yet to come across a mass-produced protein bar that I wouldn't consider a "cheat". A candy bar with 15g-30g protein is still candy.

I'll look into the pricing. Thanks.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to make homemade protein bars but they were more like meal replacement bars and it was like eating a brick! lol

Shakes are the way to go! Get an electronic coffee grinder and grind up your oats into a powder. Very, very easy way to get in good carbs. Eating oatmeal feels like a chore, but I can chug oat powder in just a few seconds. Yay

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
The chances of picking up salmonella from eggs is fairly low since the egg has to be harboring the bacteria for you to get it in the first place, but still, it's all about the efficiency of digestion in this case. BUT you do eliminate the risk to 0% if you cook them, so... Yeah, cook 'em!
I always thought it was from the bird crap that's sometimes on the eggs. The eggs are supposed to be washed but some still come through with crap stuck to it. That said I've never gotten salmonella from eggs, even whole raw ones.

ana420

ana420

Awards
Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs and THAT is a good enough reason for me.

bpchampion

Awards
i read somewhere that although raw eggs contain something like 6 more grams of protein than cooked eggs the bio availability of protein in a raw egg is 35% where the bio availability in a cooked egg is 90%

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
i read somewhere that although raw eggs contain something like 6 more grams of protein than cooked eggs the bio availability of protein in a raw egg is 35% where the bio availability in a cooked egg is 90%
That would suggest that cooking the egg completely obliterates half the protein.

My hats off to anyone who can drink liquid egg whites. Tried it and just about puked. No drinking slime for me

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
The Journal of Nutrition Vol. 128 No. 10 October 1998, pp. 1716-1722
Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques1,2,3

Pieter Evenepoel, Benny Geypens, Anja Luypaerts, Martin Hiele, Yvo Ghoos4, and Paul Rutgeerts

Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Research Centre, University Hospital Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium

ABSTRACT

Egg proteins contribute substantially to the daily nitrogen allowances in Western countries and are generally considered to be highly digestible. However, information is lacking on the true ileal digestibility of either raw or cooked egg protein. The recent availability of stable isotope-labeled egg protein allowed determination of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein by means of noninvasive tracer techniques. Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = -0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
I always thought it was from the bird crap that's sometimes on the eggs. The eggs are supposed to be washed but some still come through with crap stuck to it. That said I've never gotten salmonella from eggs, even whole raw ones.
When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.
Is that true? If so, what brands of eggs doesn't do this?

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if any brands DON'T do it. I just cook mine all the way. Eating raw eggs is like Russian roulette, and if someone relies THAT heavily on egg protein, then they should probably get their diet in check.
each to their own- just risky for negligible difference IMO and seems like missing training for even possible salmonella poisoning isn't a good idea.
If it works for you and you're happy, more power to you

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?
the chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are very low. Eggs digest better raw. I still think its best to cook them but not OVER-cook them. Overcooking eggs leads to oxidized cholesterol which is quite bad for us. The same thing happens during the pasteurization of milk.

-Alex