Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by bpchampion View Post
    i read somewhere that although raw eggs contain something like 6 more grams of protein than cooked eggs the bio availability of protein in a raw egg is 35% where the bio availability in a cooked egg is 90%
    That would suggest that cooking the egg completely obliterates half the protein.

My hats off to anyone who can drink liquid egg whites. Tried it and just about puked. No drinking slime for me

2. The Journal of Nutrition Vol. 128 No. 10 October 1998, pp. 1716-1722
    Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques1,2,3

Pieter Evenepoel, Benny Geypens, Anja Luypaerts, Martin Hiele, Yvo Ghoos4, and Paul Rutgeerts

Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Research Centre, University Hospital Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium

ABSTRACT

Egg proteins contribute substantially to the daily nitrogen allowances in Western countries and are generally considered to be highly digestible. However, information is lacking on the true ileal digestibility of either raw or cooked egg protein. The recent availability of stable isotope-labeled egg protein allowed determination of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein by means of noninvasive tracer techniques. Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 0.8 and 51.3 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = -0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by eatingisfun View Post
    I always thought it was from the bird crap that's sometimes on the eggs. The eggs are supposed to be washed but some still come through with crap stuck to it. That said I've never gotten salmonella from eggs, even whole raw ones.
    When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
    Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
    This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.

4. Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine000 View Post
    When birds eat, only a small amount is properly digested (flying birds + poop= spread of seeds/plants.
    Since a lot of bird poop is still, theoretically, usable, chicken farmers mix bird poop with bird food to increase profit margins.
    This practice increases salmonella contamination in any raw poultry product.
    Is that true? If so, what brands of eggs doesn't do this?

5. I don't know if any brands DON'T do it. I just cook mine all the way. Eating raw eggs is like Russian roulette, and if someone relies THAT heavily on egg protein, then they should probably get their diet in check.
    each to their own- just risky for negligible difference IMO and seems like missing training for even possible salmonella poisoning isn't a good idea.
    If it works for you and you're happy, more power to you
    •   

6. What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Z28Luver7777 View Post
    What about pasteurized eggs? aren't they safe raw?
    the chances of getting salmonella from raw eggs are very low. Eggs digest better raw. I still think its best to cook them but not OVER-cook them. Overcooking eggs leads to oxidized cholesterol which is quite bad for us. The same thing happens during the pasteurization of milk.

-Alex
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. RAW EGGS vs COOKED EGGS
    By LIFTEDnGIFTED in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
  2. How do you cooked your eggs?
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM
  3. How do you consume your eggs? Raw or Cooked?
    By svtfocusman in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 09:57 PM
  4. EGGS Raw or cooked??
    By PHWSSJ in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM