time to lean out... diet adjustments?

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
I'm coming off of a 2.5 year bulking process. I gained 65 lbs of mass. (with hard work, diet, and minimal hormonal use lol :x)

i went from 130 to a current 195 or so, but unfortunately my body fat went from a 5 percent up to about 10-12. I still look decent and cut, but not as much as i would want to. I am still VERY vascular and still have an athletic body, but i do want to tone up my midsection and my arms a bit.

My midsection is retaining a TON of water weight and just bulging mass, not really fat (i can still see my abs) so i want to get rid of that. My arms are still toned, but i dont see my delt as much as i would like to so. So i figure a 2-4 bodyfat percent drop would be ideal without losing muscle of course.

I still want to keep my main focus on promoting lean mass, but lose a bit of fat. Exercise is not much of a problem for me, i can design some killer workouts to cut up, but diet can be tweaked a little.

I have a VERY fast metabolism and intake about 3000-3500 calories daily. To reach my goals i dont think i would have to go on a hardcore cutting diet, just maybe someone can help me tweak?? and i would like to reach this goal within a coulple of months. And i know my diet isn't the best in the world if you would show it to hardcore competition bodybuilders, but that is not my interest. but i do eat pretty well. And this is just a sample of an average diet.

supplements: whey protein, usp lab jacked, and probably going to start ce2 hi def creatine/thermogenic.

BREAKFAST
1 scoop gold standard whey protein in skim milk
2 packs instant oatmeal in skim milk
1 banana
1 gallon water thruout the day

MID MORNING
nature valley granola bars, huge glop of peanut butter in a spoon

LUNCH
barbecue plate, 3/4 of a pound of chicken & or lean beef, very little sauce
big serving rice
1 serving beans

MIDDAY/ BEFORE WORKOUT
2 scoops usp labs jacked
1 banana
1 serving nature valley nut clusters
1 hardboiled egg

POST WORKOUT
2 scoops whey protein in skim milk
1 tsp peanut butter
fast acting carb (usually a banana, bowl of fruit or gatorade)

DINNER
3 baked chicken quarters, little bit of barbecue sauce
1 big sweet potato

BEFORE BED
1.5 servings cottage cheese
yogurt

Mindless

Awards
Here is what I would do.

BREAKFAST
1 scoop gold standard whey protein in water instead of skim milk
1 cup of rolled oats in water instead 2 packs instant oatmeal in skim milk

MID MORNING
Swith the nature valley granola bars with almonds, walnuts or macademia nuts.

POST WORKOUT
2 scoops whey protein, again in water instead skim milk

I would start with that and see how it works for you.

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the reply. I guess milk is making me bloat up probably?

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
Most BBQ sauces have the first ingredient as sugar. Best case scenario it will be the second. Also that nature valley w/e you're eating, check the sugar content on that as well.

I think the biggest killer to a cut is sugar intake and over consumption of carbs, at least that's what does it for me. I cut out all refined sugar, and keep carb intake to 20g or less per servering (I don't count fiber in that).

Usually that's about 1/2 cup beans, 2 slices ezekial bread, 3 oz sweet potatoes or 3 oz brown rice. Try to get that 3-4 a day.

musclehustler

musclehustler

Awards
u need more protein preworkout!
Your meals look a lil skimpy to me!
Dont be afraid to eat!

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
I'm coming off of a 2.5 year bulking process. I gained 65 lbs of mass. (with hard work, diet, and minimal hormonal use lol :x)

i went from 130 to a current 195 or so, but unfortunately my body fat went from a 5 percent up to about 10-12. I still look decent and cut, but not as much as i would want to. I am still VERY vascular and still have an athletic body, but i do want to tone up my midsection and my arms a bit.

My midsection is retaining a TON of water weight and just bulging mass, not really fat (i can still see my abs) so i want to get rid of that. My arms are still toned, but i dont see my delt as much as i would like to so. So i figure a 2-4 bodyfat percent drop would be ideal without losing muscle of course.

I still want to keep my main focus on promoting lean mass, but lose a bit of fat. Exercise is not much of a problem for me, i can design some killer workouts to cut up, but diet can be tweaked a little.

I have a VERY fast metabolism and intake about 3000-3500 calories daily. To reach my goals i dont think i would have to go on a hardcore cutting diet, just maybe someone can help me tweak?? and i would like to reach this goal within a coulple of months. And i know my diet isn't the best in the world if you would show it to hardcore competition bodybuilders, but that is not my interest. but i do eat pretty well. And this is just a sample of an average diet.

supplements: whey protein, usp lab jacked, and probably going to start ce2 hi def creatine/thermogenic.

BREAKFAST
1 scoop gold standard whey protein in skim milk
2 packs instant oatmeal in skim milk
1 banana
1 gallon water thruout the day

MID MORNING
nature valley granola bars, huge glop of peanut butter in a spoon

LUNCH
barbecue plate, 3/4 of a pound of chicken & or lean beef, very little sauce
big serving rice
1 serving beans

MIDDAY/ BEFORE WORKOUT
2 scoops usp labs jacked
1 banana
1 serving nature valley nut clusters
1 hardboiled egg

POST WORKOUT
2 scoops whey protein in skim milk
1 tsp peanut butter
fast acting carb (usually a banana, bowl of fruit or gatorade)

DINNER
3 baked chicken quarters, little bit of barbecue sauce
1 big sweet potato

BEFORE BED
1.5 servings cottage cheese
yogurt
Your protein intake is low and by looking at this I cannot imagine its much over 3,000 calories even if that. I would do a lot of work with this diet. If you'd like personalized help feel free to PM me brother

-Alex

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
Your protein intake is low and by looking at this I cannot imagine its much over 3,000 calories even if that. I would do a lot of work with this diet. If you'd like personalized help feel free to PM me brother

-Alex
It has worked To gain mass up to a point.. But as I weigh more I need to change how I do things...

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
It has worked To gain mass up to a point.. But as I weigh more I need to change how I do things...
True. Increasing your protein intake would be a good general start. Like I said feel free to PM me.

-Alex

musclehustler

musclehustler

Awards
True. Increasing your protein intake would be a good general start. Like I said feel free to PM me.

-Alex
I would take the offer Alex has extended to you, He know what hes talking about and will take the time to answer your question. I see no better option!

upTown

upTown

Awards
how about adding almond milk? that is what im using, better then milk really

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was the only one who f'd with those nature valley granola bars. They're the easiest and cheapest thing for me to down for breakfast with some OJ.

As for their sugar content, the "oats & honey" and "brown sugar" ones are 12g, and the "peanut butter" ones are 11g.

good luck on your lean out diet. I may do one someday as well.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Hey just asking, but where are all the green veggies?

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
i do eat some greens, i eat alot of broccoli and other veggies in my diet when we cook at home, but that was just a sample diet :p
Fiber and micronutrients aside, greens provide a significant benefit that is often overlooked - they are very ALKALINE. this is important for a bodybuilder to consider as high protein diets are very acidic. Also, many of the carbs that bodybuilders prefer - rice, white potatoes, oats etc are rather acid forming as well. Keeping greens in your diet is a great way to manage your body's pH. Without optimizing simple things like pH, digestion and inflammatory balance you could be cutting your gains, progress and HEALTH pretty short.

Alex

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fiber and micronutrients aside, greens provide a significant benefit that is often overlooked - they are very ALKALINE. this is important for a bodybuilder to consider as high protein diets are very acidic. Also, many of the carbs that bodybuilders prefer - rice, white potatoes, oats etc are rather acid forming as well. Keeping greens in your diet is a great way to manage your body's pH. Without optimizing simple things like pH, digestion and inflammatory balance you could be cutting your gains, progress and HEALTH pretty short.

Alex
Potatoes are alkalinic and the PRAL of white rice is very low. The PRAL of brown rice and oats is rather high, though.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Potatoes are alkalinic and the PRAL of white rice is very low. The PRAL of brown rice and oats is rather high, though.
Correct. Sweet potatoes are especially alkaline. White potatoes are much less. I prefer white rice + Spinach for instance over just brown rice. I am not a fan of oats at all. Inflammatory and acidic - also contain quite a few anti-nutrients like phytic acid

-Alex

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct. Sweet potatoes are especially alkaline. White potatoes are much less. I prefer white rice + Spinach for instance over just brown rice. I am not a fan of oats at all. Inflammatory and acidic - also contain quite a few anti-nutrients like phytic acid

-Alex
Most, if not all, of the phytic acid is eliminated during the cooking process.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Most, if not all, of the phytic acid is eliminated during the cooking process.
regardless of the food's anti-nutrient content (which you are correct about) my main point is that oats (in my opinion) are a qualitatively poor choice of carbs. They are quite inflammatory and acid-forming and they do not digest well for me. Many of my client's notice improved digestion from eliminating oats. They also tend to be somewhat allergic. I prefer sprouted grains, grits, white/wild rice, potatoes (red, sweet are my preferred choices).

-Alex

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i love red potatoes. i eat 2 a day by cutting them into fries and baking them.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
im just curious how this diet is geared towards leaning out...seems like alot of carbs to me. i duno

EctoMeso

im going thru the exact same thing atm, as ive just come off my lil bulking phase. where in total i gained 12kg, but gettin married in 25days so ive got about that time to cut a few kilos as im holding the same type of weight around my abs,hips and lower back. so im doing very low/slow cardio as i dont want to start burning into my muscle building cal's and diet wise well im really just dropping out majority of carbs and keeping protein around the same as i was having during bulking.

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
im going thru the exact same thing atm, as ive just come off my lil bulking phase. where in total i gained 12kg, but gettin married in 25days so ive got about that time to cut a few kilos as im holding the same type of weight around my abs,hips and lower back. so im doing very low/slow cardio as i dont want to start burning into my muscle building cal's and diet wise well im really just dropping out majority of carbs and keeping protein around the same as i was having during bulking.
I'm not curing out carbs complety but I am making better carb choices ( sweet potatoes, wheat pasta) and less of them. I also limit most of my carbs within the first part of the day. However I am still carboloading one day out of the week and have moderate carbs the other days. This combined with taking oxy elite pro from gnc is working and I've been doing it for 2 weeks, I have lost 6 pounds and am one belt notch smaller in my waist. I haven't lost any muscle or strength to date.