Purified Water VS. Distilled Water?!?!

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Their has been a lot of debate between these two. Which is better? And for what would you use each for? Which is healthier for you to drink? Thank You

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
IMO you should drink both but drink more Purified than Distilled water. the problem with distilled water is that you lack any valuable minerals in the water. magnesium and calcium are 2 of the ones that i can think of off the top of my head. you need these minerals in order to exist and its easier to drink water than it is to pop supplements in order to replace them. having said all of that i do know that municipal water supplements with fluoride ions as well. having too much fluoride in the body can be detrimental to your health(too much of anything will kill you). so i would say that either way its water and therefore okay. but try not to consume too much municipal water. 60% of daily intake from municipal supplies and the other 40% from either distilled store bought water or use something along the lines of a BRITA filter to remove the fluoride. that is just my humble opinion

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also heard that distilled water will take vital minerals from your body because its so pure. Is that true?

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So is Distilled water okay to drink some of the time, to clean out your system from toxins and stuff

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont think it is good to drink distilled water all of the time unless there are special circumstances. I know I need to drink less distilled water than I do. Been meaning to get a water filter or something. Especially since I am on cycle right now and constantly drinking water.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Ill ask Dr. Colgan at the Colgan Institute who has written many articles on water.

Last I knew, distilled water was much better than any tap water. Simply put, DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER....that is if you want the best performance possible from your body.

The best water will be one that is reverse osmosis filtered.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
RO is not much different than distilled. Both are pretty much lacking all minerals. RO forces water through a membrane that removes most minerals as well as contaminants. Distilled just evaporates the water, then collects the condensation, leaving the minerals in the evaporator.

RO was invented for the printing industry as a way to get pure water without minerals so it wouldn't gunk up the printers.

Interestingly, I usually drink spring water that I get in 5 gallon jugs. This is fully mineralized but sanitized. I had to drink RO water for a few days and the number of times I had to go to the bathroom went way down even though water intake volume was the same. For some reason with only drinking RO water, my body did not want to release as much water. This leads me to believe the lack of minerals in the water was the reason.

cmc

cmc

Awards
I expect some reps for this info. Solid info from the Colgan Institute. Info was from a few years back, I can only imagine that it has worsened as far as the contamination.

The Environmental Protection Agency figures show that about 85% of water in America is now contaminated which is beyond help. More than 55,000 regulated chemical dumps across the nation are leaking into the ground water. Imagine the state of an estimated 200,000 illegal, unregulated dumps sites. The EPA estimates that 50-60 million tons of toxic wastes a year, where do you think the bilk of that toxic waste is going?---Into the aquifers to pollute the ground water for hundreds of miles around.

The water treatment authorities cant protect you. There are more than 60,000 chemical contaminants of water. Any municipal water supply is likely to harbor at least a 1000. The Office of Tech. Assessment reports a test of the water supplies of 954 cities, showing that at least 30 of them of seriously contaminated.

It is far too expensive to make out tap water healthy enough to drink which is only treated to minimal standards by sedimentation, filtration, chemical conditioning, and disinfection with chlorine. The toxic metals, pesticides, industrial chemicals are all still in there when it comes out of the tap as are the 50 or so chemicals used in the water treatment as are the dead bacteria killed by the chlorine, so are the carcinogenic trihalomethanes from the cholrine itself, that are known to cause liver and colon cancers. Tap water wont kill you, but your body cant function at its best with poisons it it.

Most bottled water is merely tap water put through minimal conditioning filters to make it taste better. Spring water is nothing special either. The FDA does not require water bottlers to test their wares for many minerals or for the other toxic contaminants likely to be present.

Bottled distilled waters are the best. Everything is removed from the water by steam distillation running at 2-12ppm contaminants..about as clean as it gets. Typical tap water is about 350-1000ppm contaminants…those contaminants build into every cell of your body…top performance cant be achieved.

So..go with reverse osmosis filtered water or distilled. The epmtiness of minerals will not leach them from the body. Those that say they do have no understanding of biochemistry. As soon as you drink the water, it becomes a soupy mixture with all of the contents in your gut. On absorption throughout the intestinal wall, the mixture immediately blends with your body fluids and becomes a part of you. There is no physiological way it can suck minerals out of you.

Others claim that distilled water doesn’t have minerals found in ground water. If you relied on water for your minerals, you would be sadly lacking. It is the growing produce that takes up the water and concentrates its minerals, that provides most of your mineral requirements. The calcium content of a 1 cup serving of pumpkin, for example, is about 80mg if the pumpkin is grown in an area with 60ppm calcium in the water. The calcium content of a cup of water is less than 10ppm. Plant materials will supply you your main source of minerals. So, avoid tap water and drink either distilled water or reverse osmosis filtered water. You also have to understand that because information is on the internet, doesn’t mean that it is true. The Colgan Institute has the largest database in the world on sports nutrition, second to none. Look them up as their info is more solid than anything I have ever read. Period.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Another reason why Ill eat organic vegetables if i can afford them. Produce grown with fertilizers are generally done in areas that have used fertilizers for years. If they dont recondition their soil over time, many minerals are wiped out from the soil. In turn, you get what appears to be good looking veges from the ferts but essentially they lack the mineral content they should have when grown organically. In other words, if I buy an organic bell pepper, I can be assured that that bell pepper is going to have the most bang for the buck and not be an inflated piece of garbage that looks good.

allendr

Awards
I also heard that distilled water will take vital minerals from your body because its so pure. Is that true?
According to my biochem teacher this is true, but you'd have to drink a ton to have a serious effect. I personally wouldn't buy distilled water unless it was fortified after distillation. At the same time though I definitely wouldn't worry about it if only distilled was available.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Allen, Lol...you obviously didnt read what the article just said....if you relied on water for your minerals than you are sadly lacking.

Derick..get a home water distiller.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Not sure what specific brands are the best as you will have to research that one. A cheaper option to a home distiller and one that is almost as good is a reverse osmosis system that can go under your sink. Many of the water companies (or a good plumber) can obtain one of these for you and install it. You need to change the three filters out regularly, depending on the quality of your tap water. They clean water to under 50 ppm.

Apart from that you should buy a distiller as close to home as possible if you got one, and one with warranties. Ask the company for references etc, etc. The more automatic the distiller then the higher the price. Many distillers are sold through multi-level companies, so you will find several companies selling the same product. I would go with one that offers the best service and warranties.

cmc

cmc

Awards
That model is reconditioned and only has a 30 day warranty on it..dont bother with that one.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Is there other specifications I should look at? like if the container the water goes into is plastic? Is plastic that bad? I heard something like some plastics are bad some are okay. Either way milk comes in a plastic container.

orangerain

Awards
When I was younger, my parents only made me drink distilled water. I noticed that I easily get sick that time because of this. Then, when we started drinking purified water instead, I was more resistant to sickness. I'm not sure if it's just me, though. This is just something I noticed.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I agree. When your looking for water search for purified or drinking water that is purified by reverse osmosis. This will ensure the best quality of water for drinking. You'd want to skip out on the spring water. Who knows what's in there. Tap water usually is safe enough for drinking by certain standards but not the best for you for sure. As far as distilled goes because of the lack of minerals you wouldn't wanna be drinking distilled on a regular basis. Your body needs some of those essential minerals. I have a friend in the water purification business and I go straight to him for water questions. What I do is get a jug, go to the local grocery store and fill-up a gallon with their machine. It cost 30 cents to fill up a gallon. It's reverse osmosis purified. You can't beat that price. You can also get 5 gallon big jugs and fill em up there. The last place I used to get em filled up used collagen water machine. Check out places like walmart too and see what process their water machines use to filter.

Bodybuilders use distilled water near competition just because it has little to no sodium to keep bloating down. That's when it may be benificial to a competitor. Otherwise.. don't see much use. I use it for my radiator in my car so I won't get deposits. It has it's uses but not too much for drinking.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Interestingly, I usually drink spring water that I get in 5 gallon jugs. This is fully mineralized but sanitized. I had to drink RO water for a few days and the number of times I had to go to the bathroom went way down even though water intake volume was the same. For some reason with only drinking RO water, my body did not want to release as much water. This leads me to believe the lack of minerals in the water was the reason.
While spring water keeps the minerals in tact you keep the risk of higher contaminations. I would be more concerned with contaminants then removal of some minerals. Too much minerals (hard water) could also lead to health issues as well. Kidney stones in Example. When I was using spring water and I boiled it I noticed I had a lot of residue or minerals left in the bottom of a pot. I thought to myself, that's gotta be hard on the kidneys. Switched to RO purified water and very little to no residue now. We don't live in a world where we can trust most of our natural spring sources. Times have changed.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Is there other specifications I should look at? like if the container the water goes into is plastic? Is plastic that bad? I heard something like some plastics are bad some are okay. Either way milk comes in a plastic container.
There are different grades of plastic- some containing polyethylene terephthalate, or PET are indicated by a "1" on the bottom of your bottle. A "7" means other, but many contain Bisphenol A (which leeches out of the plastic and can cause cancer). If interested, there is a lot of information about this online.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
There are different grades of plastic- some containing polyethylene terephthalate, or PET are indicated by a "1" on the bottom of your bottle. A "7" means other, but many contain Bisphenol A (which leeches out of the plastic and can cause cancer). If interested, there is a lot of information about this online.
Well that doesn't help me if I order the distiller online, because they never tell you. But thank you. Is "1" the clear plastic?

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Well that doesn't help me if I order the distiller online, because they never tell you. But thank you. Is "1" the clear plastic?
Sorry - I was referring to plastic bottles in general. They all have a code on the bottom that refers to the type of plastic (1 and 7 are both found on soda bottles and water bottles, clear and otherwise)
As far as filters, I have a Brita on my tap, and an indicator tells you when you need a new filter. It's convenient, cheaper than constantly buying jugs, and tastes a lot better than my tap. I don't know how it rates against other filters but I'm happy.
Ever think about a steel canister for toting water around? Holds less germs and doesn't leech chemicals into the water.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sorry - I was referring to plastic bottles in general. They all have a code on the bottom that refers to the type of plastic (1 and 7 are both found on soda bottles and water bottles, clear and otherwise)
As far as filters, I have a Brita on my tap, and an indicator tells you when you need a new filter. It's convenient, cheaper than constantly buying jugs, and tastes a lot better than my tap. I don't know how it rates against other filters but I'm happy.
Ever think about a steel canister for toting water around? Holds less germs and doesn't leech chemicals into the water.
Well I have my heart set on getting a distiller, because I do not want to ingest fluoride. The trouble is finding the right one. I mean, I don't know how else to drink unfluoridated water.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What is the "6" plastic?

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
What is the "6" plastic?
PS - polystyrene

It's used to make styrofoam, and leeches "styrene": especially when heated.
Which sucks if you drink coffee from styrofoam cups...

I can't post links yet, but a Google search of plastic bottles 6 will pull up a site called thedailygreen. There are a lot more, but tdg talks about plastics 3, 6, and 7

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
PS - polystyrene

It's used to make styrofoam, and leeches "styrene": especially when heated.
Which sucks if you drink coffee from styrofoam cups...

I can't post links yet, but a Google search of plastic bottles 6 will pull up a site called thedailygreen. There are a lot more, but tdg talks about plastics 3, 6, and 7
so are 1,2 and 4 okay? I know milk jugs come in type 2 and the water jugs I get are type 1.

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does anyone know any good reverse osmosis water filtration systems?

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
the myth regarding distilled water and nutrient/mineral loss is nonsense. Its not founded on anything but anecdotal propaganda. We are not meant to get our minerals from water, rather fruits, veggies and other foods with substantial quantities of them. The amounts in water are trivial. What's really important to look out for with water is ACIDITY. Most spring water is quite acidic depending on the source. Fluoride should be avoided at all costs as its quite simply a neuro-toxin. the reverse osmosis process creates a very acidic water as well. Maintaining proper pH balance in your body is VERY important and usually overlooked. It requires a balance of adic forming foods (proteins - amino 'acids') and alkaline foods like green veggies, and most fruits. There are a few things I focus very strictly on with my clients:

-pH of foods and body
-Inflammatory vs. anti-inflammatory balance of foods and body
-Digestion and making sure they eat nutrient, enzyme rich foods that do not strip the body of its digestive resources (like most grains do...)

-Alex

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
With all the "medication" I have been given over the years it is by the grace of God that I am not braindead.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone here felt improvements after removing fluoride from their daily life?

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the myth regarding distilled water and nutrient/mineral loss is nonsense. Its not founded on anything but anecdotal propaganda. We are not meant to get our minerals from water, rather fruits, veggies and other foods with substantial quantities of them. The amounts in water are trivial. What's really important to look out for with water is ACIDITY. Most spring water is quite acidic depending on the source. Fluoride should be avoided at all costs as its quite simply a neuro-toxin. the reverse osmosis process creates a very acidic water as well. Maintaining proper pH balance in your body is VERY important and usually overlooked. It requires a balance of adic forming foods (proteins - amino 'acids') and alkaline foods like green veggies, and most fruits. There are a few things I focus very strictly on with my clients:

-pH of foods and body
-Digestion and making sure they eat nutrient, enzyme rich foods that do not strip the body of its digestive resources (like most grains do...)

-Alex

So would you suggest distilled water? if not what water would be best to balance out my pH? Thank You

Also what are some enzyme foods that don't strip the body of its digestive resources?

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
I drink only distilled water, or fiji. All the water out there, bottled or not, is so full of contaminants, not only the fluoride, but also prescription drugs as well. With everyone dumping pills into the water systems, the specs on the water around me is sad as ****, as the water districts publish a quaterly report.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
With all the "medication" I have been given over the years it is by the grace of God that I am not braindead.
The body is a remarkable machine, Often it is peoples will that quits before it will. It has a way of repairing itself from a lot of ordeals. With medications often the body fights them. This shows the power of the body in it's way of healing. This is especially true with tolerance. Science doesn't know why it happens but it's common sense to me. Tolerance happens because the object going into the body is foreign. It's not ment to be there so eventually the body fights it from having effects similiar to a cold. Sometimes you won't have tolerance but there will always be some side effects because you disrupt the natural processes of the body. I wouldn't worry about what the meds have done to you, if your off them they are out of your system and your body has repaired itself and it's what you tell yourself now that matters most to the state of your brain and your body. On the other hand sometimes you may need to deal with some side effects if the med positives out weigh the negatives either at that time or now.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
So would you suggest distilled water? if not what water would be best to balance out my pH? Thank You

Also what are some enzyme foods that don't strip the body of its digestive resources?
fruits and vegetables are very enzyme rich. Potatoes instead of grains for instance is a good way to improve digestion.

I do advocate drinking distilled water. A close second is deionized water.

-Alex

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
I drink only distilled water, or fiji. All the water out there, bottled or not, is so full of contaminants, not only the fluoride, but also prescription drugs as well. With everyone dumping pills into the water systems, the specs on the water around me is sad as ****, as the water districts publish a quaterly report.
this is another reason that vapor distilled water is best. free of impurities hence why it doesn't cause corrosion when used in laboratory/medical equipment...

Z28Luver7777

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
fruits and vegetables are very enzyme rich. Potatoes instead of grains for instance is a good way to improve digestion.

I do advocate drinking distilled water. A close second is deionized water.

-Alex
Cool Thank You

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
Their has been a lot of debate between these two. Which is better? And for what would you use each for? Which is healthier for you to drink? Thank You
I live in vermont, we have well water. It's fizzy with sulfur most of the time and i've had no troubles with it, just a weird taste sometimes.
I would say purified water over distilled as it has minerals in it. I will always go for tap water when I can because it isn't treated or comes from a factory in any way.
Just my opinion.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
I would be careful drinking Fiji water. It comes from an unsustainable source, so maybe it's pure and tasty, but a lot of people are suffering environmental destruction to put it on your the shelves.
I'm not a Hippie btw.
I hate hippies....:irked:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established

-pH of foods and body

-Alex
Clarification here Alex, are you saying that the acidity of the water is good or bad? And why?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I understand that you should maintain an acid/base balance in your diet but many foods that you think of as acidic don't have a net acid effect in the blood while things that are usually seen as basic like dairy products, have an extremely high acid effect in the blood.

Therefor acidic water, like vinegar, wouldn't make your blood more acidic. It would likely make it less acidic or raise the pH.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Whether water has a slight acidity or alkalinity depends on the minerals that are naturally present in the water. Your acid/alkaline balance has much more to do with the foods that you eat. Concentrate on your diet and just make sure that you drink clean water.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Clarification here Alex, are you saying that the acidity of the water is good or bad? And why?
You ideally want water that is pH neutral or slightly alkaline. Most water available to consumers to day (including tap water) is highly acidic. Vapor distilled and deionized are my top choices.

-Alex

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Whether water has a slight acidity or alkalinity depends on the minerals that are naturally present in the water. Your acid/alkaline balance has much more to do with the foods that you eat. Concentrate on your diet and just make sure that you drink clean water.
This is actually a mis-conception. The amount of minerals in the water create an insignificant contribution to your daily requirements. We are not intended to get most of our minerals from water (otherwise we'd be designed to drink something like 100 gallons a day or more). Food, (fruits and veggies etc) are intended to provide us with minerals that help our body maintain a proper pH balance. It just helps to drink water that isn't working against this.

-Alex

seba2010

Awards
Distilled water doesn't have minerals, but will this cause long-term health issues? Different experts have different opinion regarding this matter. What we know is that our bodies cannot stay healthy without minerals which are vital to our health.

So what did anti-distilled drinking water groups say? They're saying a lot of stuff to malign pure water and to make people no longer buy bottled pure water.

How does normal water get its minerals? Water is a natural solvent and in its natural reservoirs, it's composed of many impurities coming from both organic and inorganic matter. Rock sediments and decaying matter can add so much contaminant that renders water inappropriate for major human applications. Water should be treated before it can be usable in any way. Water treatment involves removal of a significant amount of impurity. One of the most reliable methods of treatment is distillation, which removes virtually all forms of contaminants, leaving water that is extremely pure.

Some bottled water products are actually distilled. So, now you know the difference between distilled and spring water. Now, manufacturers of distilled pure water should answer controversies regarding their priced pure water.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 14
GatoLoiro Anabolics 7
General Chat 0
Supplements 21
_the_strategy_ Anabolics 7