Cholesterol= testosterone production?

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Yes, cholesterol is needed for the production of testosterone. That is one reason it is not a good idea to cut saturated fats out of your diet, that is where your body gets most of it's cholesterol from(and trans fat but trans fat is not good for you).

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
You need some saturated fat but only a few g per day, nothing much.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Remember kids, save your yolks!!!!

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Solid, I have been eating about 6-8 eggs a day for the past couple years. Everyone thinks I'm crazy cuz of all the cholesterol but I do my best to explain good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. So does anyone know if an excess of cholesterol would actually increase sex hormone (i.e. test) output. Or is it the kind of thing where once you have a sufficient amount the rest is used in other ways/ excreted?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Yes, cholesterol is needed for the production of testosterone. That is one reason it is not a good idea to cut saturated fats out of your diet, that is where your body gets most of it's cholesterol from(and trans fat but trans fat is not good for you).
this doesn't mean that sticky buns and mcdonalds breakfast biscuits are good for you.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
cholesterol and mono fats :) if you're deficient on either, you'll notice a change once you start adding them into your diet.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Yes. HDL cholesterol. There are two types: HDL is "good cholesterol" because it lowers LDL which is "bad cholesterol". People have jumped on the ignorant bandwagon for hating cholesterol and it is important if you consume the right ones.

As mentioned above- eat the yolk.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yeah, the anti egg yolk thing is some shady studies that came out of the 80's and grouped all cholesterol (good and bad) as the same.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Statins are the most profitable drug ever manufactured. This is why the drug companies keep lowering the recommended cholesterol limit. There is a lot of information on the fallacy of cholesterol and heart disease. The original Framingham study found no correlation between cholesterol and heart disease however the drug companies manipulated the results and viola; everybody needs to be on statins. The best book I have read on the subject is called “The Cholesterol Myth” written by a Russian Dr. It uncovers to entire fallacy behind this scam. My cholesterol values have been over 300 since I was in my thirties (over thirty years) without any drug intervention. A recent stress test showed my arteries to be perfectly clear. According to my doctor I am a walking cardiac case. My lipids are high, my LDL is high and my HDL low as well. However, my entire family has this type of profile and we all seem to live well into our 90’s. I have an uncle in his 90’s whose cholesterol is well over 400 and he just returned from a vacation in Thailand, and yes even at his age his doctor wants to put him on statins. I have another uncle who is 86 with cholesterol values over 350 and his doctor tells except for his lipid profile his blood values are that of a 30 year old. Moreover, he has more energy than anyone I know. He only sleeps 3-4 hours a night and is a work-a-holic. My step father and his entire family have cholesterol values below 150 and they all have heart problems. His youngest brother died at the age of 52 with a heart attack, his sister had a stroke at 57, his older brother has had a quadruple bypass and my dad has four stints at 72 and they want to do a heart bypass on him.

ana420

ana420

Awards
Solid, I have been eating about 6-8 eggs a day for the past couple years. Everyone thinks I'm crazy cuz of all the cholesterol but I do my best to explain good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. So does anyone know if an excess of cholesterol would actually increase sex hormone (i.e. test) output. Or is it the kind of thing where once you have a sufficient amount the rest is used in other ways/ excreted?
Cholesterol can be manufactured by the liver, the more you eat the less your liver will produce and vice versa.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Interesting stuff here... I recently read an article in Men's Health Magazine that says there is actually 4 categories of LDL cholesterol ranging from low density to very low density and its really only the Very Low Density Lipoproteins that are dangerous. Ana420- That is good info, I assume this means that when your consuming high levels of cholesterol through diet your liver simply produces less and therefor you are essentially "breaking even." Do you suppose then that consuming large quantities of cholesterol would have little impact on hormone output?

pcproffy

Awards
Bottom line is eating lots of cholesterol will not increase your testosterone.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Where in the world did I say anything about sticky buns or McDonald's breakfast biscuits?
Just because I quoted you doesn't mean I was addressing you. That was for the general public.

alexmittaluk

Awards
Testosterone is a 19-carbon steroid hormone made from cholesterol that, as we discussed yesterday, provides a whole host of benefits. On average, a man’s body produces about 7 mg of testosterone a day, but not all of that T floating in our bloodstream can be used by our bodies. Our total testosterone can be broken down into the following three sub-types:
1. Free Testosterone(Google it!)
2. SHBG-bound Testosterone (Google it!)
3. Albumin-bound Testosterone

Hope it helps ;)

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
Good bump and post!

Jackriddle

Awards
In that case USP labs test powder will help surely.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall from an NPR interview regarding diet and nutrition for males, the expert- a Dr. in Nutrition, mentioned if you wish to increase your T-levels then go eat a piece of meat with fat, not lean. Example provided being a hamburger. Reason being cholesterol and the protein were needed for T-production. Wonder what the ratios are of x cholestrol to x protein for optimal use?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Statins are the most profitable drug ever manufactured. This is why the drug companies keep lowering the recommended cholesterol limit. There is a lot of information on the fallacy of cholesterol and heart disease. The original Framingham study found no correlation between cholesterol and heart disease however the drug companies manipulated the results and viola; everybody needs to be on statins. The best book I have read on the subject is called “The Cholesterol Myth” written by a Russian Dr. It uncovers to entire fallacy behind this scam. My cholesterol values have been over 300 since I was in my thirties (over thirty years) without any drug intervention. A recent stress test showed my arteries to be perfectly clear. According to my doctor I am a walking cardiac case. My lipids are high, my LDL is high and my HDL low as well. However, my entire family has this type of profile and we all seem to live well into our 90’s. I have an uncle in his 90’s whose cholesterol is well over 400 and he just returned from a vacation in Thailand, and yes even at his age his doctor wants to put him on statins. I have another uncle who is 86 with cholesterol values over 350 and his doctor tells except for his lipid profile his blood values are that of a 30 year old. Moreover, he has more energy than anyone I know. He only sleeps 3-4 hours a night and is a work-a-holic. My step father and his entire family have cholesterol values below 150 and they all have heart problems. His youngest brother died at the age of 52 with a heart attack, his sister had a stroke at 57, his older brother has had a quadruple bypass and my dad has four stints at 72 and they want to do a heart bypass on him.
I was very pleased with the information in the book "The New Eight Week Cholesterol Cure".