Eating raw egg whites out of the carton?

  1. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Eating raw egg whites out of the carton?


    Hey guys im starting to come up with some new ideas to getting more protein into my diet. I just started adding egg whites into my diet and i CANNOT stand how bland they taste when i cook them.... So my question is can i just pour some egg whites into my protien shake and drink them down? I know the risk of salmonella, but isnt that why you buy pasturized??

    Only 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella, according to the Agriculture Department (outdated) report......But i dont know if that mean my egg white out of the carton?

  2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    there isnt' a salmonella risk with drinking it as being pasteurized avoids that, but there is still the question on just how bioavaiilable uncooked egg whites are. From studies i've seen, something like less than 20% of the protein is used if the egg whites are raw. But that was 100% raw, not even pasteurized. So i'm not 100% certain as to how well liquid egg whites really are used.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    there isnt' a salmonella risk with drinking it as being pasteurized avoids that, but there is still the question on just how bioavaiilable uncooked egg whites are. From studies i've seen, something like less than 20% of the protein is used if the egg whites are raw. But that was 100% raw, not even pasteurized. So i'm not 100% certain as to how well liquid egg whites really are used.
    ive was just reading up on that.... im going to the doc. tomorrow to check out my knee and get some ambien, do you think he would know the answer?
    •   
       

  4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I wouldn't bet on him knowing the correct answer. But i'm sure he'll have AN answer

    I'll look again later tonite if I remember, as i've been wondering about this lately
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    im gunna do a little research on it tonight too.

    you ever try cooking the eggs then blending them into the protein shake? I wonder how that would taste.....
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    eh its ok. just adds a ton of volume to the shake and you have to blend it a while. I started cooking the whites in thin sheets then folding them up into a sandwich. but they suck that way too
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    damn my oats already add alot of volume... im gunna look up egg white recipies tonight too haha.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Grambo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,855
    Rep Power
    1233272
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    56.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If you are looking for something to add into shakes I know several people that swear by the dried egg whites. Can be pretty much added to anything as its tasteless and wouldn't add volume really to a shake.

    I have drank cartons of egg whites before.....its kinda gross hahaha
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  9. New Member
    Lateinlife's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    61
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    9.33%

    I have been adding the pasteurized egg whites to my shake for 6 months or more. I was trying to spend a little more time sleeping than having to get up and down a bowl of oats and whites cooked. That is going to be a real bummer if I have to go back to holding the bowl in my lap as I drive to the gym.
  10. Professional Member
    RoadBlocK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    Rep Power
    96470
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Actually there was a good thread on here about these egg whites, and I started drinking them after I read it (at least when I can get them onsale), drink em straight, mixed with protein, whatever.

    If Im gonna cookem, then Im just gonna eat em, kinda defeats the purpose(for me at least) and I cant imagine how well they would blend up in the shake.

    If you are just looking for volume, get powdered skim milk, add a few scoops of that to your shakes.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    well, although this is from a manufacturer website, still it makes some sense

    The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids.

    Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3 minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    Egg whites are crap, if you really are looking for more protein eat the whole damn egg. The cholesterol from the yolk is amazing.
  13. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11891
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    26.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    well, although this is from a manufacturer website, still it makes some sense
    I remember reading that a while back.

    It's a nice little catch22 because if you cook them too much, they decompose and you get smelly egg farts, caused by the sulfur in the high abundance of methionine.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  14. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    I was just looking at my brand of egg whites website and they offer protein shake recipes.... It kinda makes you think...why would they offer protein shake recipes if they protein your eating is useless? maybe just a marketing way to make you buy the stuff, i dont know....

    http://www.betterneggs.com/recipes/r...rch.cfm?mcid=9
  15. New Member
    ana420's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    83.66%

    Yeah isn't there more protein in the yolk than the actual white? plus i think the zinc and other minerals are in the yolk.

    I've heard that eggs have less bioavailability when uncooked too, as far as I'm concerned Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs so I will too =)

    I hate plain cooked eggwhite too so usually i'll just throw some bread in a frying pan and pour egg white on it until its totally saturated, tastes like a pancake!!
  16. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by ana420 View Post
    Yeah isn't there more protein in the yolk than the actual white? plus i think the zinc and other minerals are in the yolk.

    I've heard that eggs have less bioavailability when uncooked too, as far as I'm concerned Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs so I will too =)

    I hate plain cooked eggwhite too so usually i'll just throw some bread in a frying pan and pour egg white on it until its totally saturated, tastes like a pancake!!
    sounds like you are making a half assed french toast...haha
  17. Professional Member
    RoadBlocK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    Rep Power
    96470
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Egg whites are crap, if you really are looking for more protein eat the whole damn egg. The cholesterol from the yolk is amazing.
    Maybe I miss understood this thread, but in the cartons I thought this thread was about there are no yolks, was this not about liquid eggwhites.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

  18. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBlocK View Post
    Maybe I miss understood this thread, but in the cartons I thought this thread was about there are no yolks, was this not about liquid eggwhites.
    lol yes I do believe it was, my mistake. I saw egg whites and just posted real quick! I never really liked egg whites at all especially from the carton. Also raw eggwhites are basically useless. They contain inhibitors of the digestive enzyme trypsin, which are destroyed by heat. If you add the yolk or take digestive enzymes with it then it would be ok. So I guess you could get some enzymes and pop them with the eggwhites, but it would be better to just throw a whole egg or 2 in there if you dont mind the taste.
  19. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11891
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    26.96%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    lol yes I do believe it was, my mistake. I saw egg whites and just posted real quick! I never really liked egg whites at all especially from the carton. Also raw eggwhites are basically useless. They contain inhibitors of the digestive enzyme trypsin, which are destroyed by heat. If you add the yolk or take digestive enzymes with it then it would be ok. So I guess you could get some enzymes and pop them with the eggwhites, but it would be better to just throw a whole egg or 2 in there if you dont mind the taste.
    Will the pasteurization process not destroy them?

    it's not a rhetorical question, I seriously do not know.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  20. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    thats the idea, that I guess avidin is that protein fragment that blocks it, and is destroyed even by the heat of pasteurization without fully cooking the eggs.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  21. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    According to what some others have said it seems that it will or at least should heat up enough to break the avidin bond during pasteurization. Ya learn something new everyday!

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=540518

    http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onli...k_avidin_bond_
  22. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    yep, looks like i'm back to buyin liquid whites
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  23. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235092
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I just hard boil a ton of eggs. If you want to save morning time, Hardboil a couple dozen and leave them in the fridge. This also gives you the option to eat the yold if you choose. I usually will eat 6 eggs, 3 whole and 3 white only.
  24. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    According to what some others have said it seems that it will or at least should heat up enough to break the avidin bond during pasteurization. Ya learn something new everyday!

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=540518

    http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onli...k_avidin_bond_

    awesome. going to the store later to pick some more up!!
  25. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    I just hard boil a ton of eggs. If you want to save morning time, Hardboil a couple dozen and leave them in the fridge. This also gives you the option to eat the yold if you choose. I usually will eat 6 eggs, 3 whole and 3 white only.
    When I want to gain weight (lean muscle) I will eat a dozen eggs a day, all whole. I'll have 6 in the morning with breakfast and 6 in the afternoon or right before I workout. If I do it everyday ill gain at least 5 lbs in a month.
  26. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235092
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    When I want to gain weight (lean muscle) I will eat a dozen eggs a day, all whole. I'll have 6 in the morning with breakfast and 6 in the afternoon or right before I workout. If I do it everyday ill gain at least 5 lbs in a month.
    I havn't been going to heavy with the lifting right now. I was planning on a dozen a day starting next week some time. My current plan was 8 whole 4 white, but this could be reconsidered given everyone's overall belief on the yolk being beneficial.
  27. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    Yolk contains about 270mg of cholesterol per large egg. Cholesterol converts to testosterone (eventually) the more yolks you eat the more testosterone you have! You eat enough eggs and its almost like taking a mild pro-hormone only you don't get shutdown. Well maybe not that much but you get the point. Plus the yolk contains arachidonic acid and a mineral/nutrient profile that *****s some multivitamins. Eat the yolk.
  28. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235092
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Yolk contains about 270mg of cholesterol per large egg. Cholesterol converts to testosterone (eventually) the more yolks you eat the more testosterone you have! You eat enough eggs and its almost like taking a mild pro-hormone only you don't get shutdown. Well maybe not that much but you get the point. Plus the yolk contains arachidonic acid and a mineral/nutrient profile that *****s some multivitamins. Eat the yolk.
    You convinced me, whole eggs from now on.. Haha.
  29. Advanced Member
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    11194
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

    Oh and if you cook your eggs with some olive oil the oil can help with the conversion to test. Although this wont really apply to you if you just hard boil them.
  30. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235092
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Oh and if you cook your eggs with some olive oil the oil can help with the conversion to test. Although this wont really apply to you if you just hard boil them.
    I hardboil them to easily eat the whites. If I am eatting the whole egg, Ill cook them. Back to ommelettes.
  31. New Member
    bmcjames's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    488
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    43.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom88 View Post
    Hey guys im starting to come up with some new ideas to getting more protein into my diet. I just started adding egg whites into my diet and i CANNOT stand how bland they taste when i cook them.... So my question is can i just pour some egg whites into my protien shake and drink them down? I know the risk of salmonella, but isnt that why you buy pasturized??

    Only 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella, according to the Agriculture Department (outdated) report......But i dont know if that mean my egg white out of the carton?

    I do it all the time, bulking or cutting... Been doing it for over 8 months now and haven't gotten sick yet.

    -James
  32. New Member
    intheflesh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    139
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    94.69%

    Egg whites taste fine straight up fried in butter, with salt on them. Lots of salt.
  33. Advanced Member
    ZoomZoom88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    339
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    74.96%

    I find them to be a little to bland for my taste. Ill stick to egg whites in my shake and wholes eggs for my breakfast meal....
  34. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    make sure to not overeat egg whites, something like 20+ a day can cause a biotin deficiency
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. egg whites from the shell vs. egg whites from the carton
    By AjdUsmc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 01:54 AM
  3. what is wrong with eating raw egg whites?
    By UNDERTAKER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
  4. Egg Whites International liquid egg whites
    By Stingray in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in