Buying 75% ground beef and draining it, or buy more expensive 87%

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I'm not sure i was clear but my question is:

75% GB costs around 2.79$/lb here.

87% GB is sometimes on sale for 3.99$/lb or 4.99$ not on sale

I was wondering if buying the cheaper 75% and draining the fat, is the same as buying the 87%, because all I'll be eating the the meat itself.

Please guide me in the right direction.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you'd have to boil it to get "rid" of the fat - if you cook it, the meat will absorb a huge amount of it, while the rest can be drained.

i think the fattier ground beef tastes better, but i'm also a calorie whore.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Hmmm didn't know about the "boiling" part.

I think i'll do that when I use it to make low fat high protein chilli.

purelife1

when you cook the cheaper cut you lose so much of it(fat) to the heat so you realy are not saving that much ..i would suck it up and buy better cuts.. i personaly get the 96/4 ..when its on sale i buy about 10 lbs n throw in freezer

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
wow they are robbing yall for meat.

i pay 3.86/lb of 96/4

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
$2.98 for 1lbs of 93/7

Usually I'll cook a pound of it, eat half of it then and half of it the next day. Often times with some whole grain toast or pasta.

Not my first choice for protein but it's pretty tasty if you season it right. A nice switch from fish and chicken!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your choice man, if you are really trying to manage your macros that much then go with the leaner, but otherwise unless you are eating a lot of that ground beef you can go less lean.

Many believe that as you go leaner you lose some of the moisture and flavor provided by the extra fat. Here is a little tip for that... When cooking with a leaner ground beef add some extra virgin olive oil to it as you prepare it. It'll help make your meat moist, delicious, and best of all you used a healthy fat and no refined oils. Enjoy!

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Thanks for all replies, well some ppl said they were finding it for great price so i set out to find the cheapest price.

And BJ's has 93/7 for 2.99$lb. :)

Will buy there for as long as I live!!

Joelvandekrol

Awards
Try 90/10 Buffalo...taste better than beef. $4.50/lb and has the same fat as chicken but as much protein as beef.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i have used 75% cus it cheaper if your just browning it. i wash it. put it in a strainer then riase it with hot water.i think i saw rachel ray do this.(i only watch rachel ray cuz shes hot)

purelife1

i have used 75% cus it cheaper if your just browning it. i wash it. put it in a strainer then riase it with hot water.i think i saw rachel ray do this.(i only watch rachel ray cuz shes hot)
ive done the before with 85/15..sad part was by the time i finished half was gone

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
You guys gotta move to Iowa, very cheap, fresh meat... Actually I buy all my meat from a local farmer who uses no hormones, and lets his cows graze, but still feeds a little corn... cheaper cuz its not "organic" but at least im not getting that estrogen - tastes a lot different than the commercial meat, thats for sure!

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
You guys gotta move to Iowa, very cheap, fresh meat... Actually I buy all my meat from a local farmer who uses no hormones, and lets his cows graze, but still feeds a little corn... cheaper cuz its not "organic" but at least im not getting that estrogen - tastes a lot different than the commercial meat, thats for sure!
lol reminds me of when i used to live in Brazil, would go to the butcher shop, fresh meat every day, the way and the cut I wanted and for a really cheap price.

The meat that gets to Connecticut just sucks =P

pcproffy

Awards
My store puts meat on clearance. Ask them when that usually happens, like the day before the new shipment comes in.

I got 85% organic beef for $3. Sometimes 90%, not organic, goes down to $2/lb. Salmon for $4/lb.

I 2nd the comment on buffalo, its very lean.