Hello. Any help with my diet

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Long time lurker...

Hello all. This year I really wanted to put as much effort that I do into my training into my nutrition. I am always reading and trying to learn as much as I can, but I just can't seem to nail down my macros and just exactly what I should be eating.

I am trying to build some lean muscle. I am 5.11 and I currently weigh 170lbs. I just got a scale that measures BF% (I have read not to put too much faith into these...) and it says I am at 18%.

I have a very active job Monday - Friday so I'm sure I am burning a lot of calories. I am always moving, carrying stuff etc...
I am a UPS Package Car Driver. I usually work about 10 hours a day or more.

I workout 4 days a week.
Tuesday - Back / Biceps
Thursday - Shoulders / Traps
Saturday - early morning cardio / Legs
Sunday - Chest / Triceps

I have always eaten pretty clean with maybe 1 cheat meal per week. I usually have 2 or 3 slices of pizza on Thursday night.
I never drink soda or anything that is loaded with sugar. I would say I only drink water or low fat milk.

OK. Here is my current diet. I welcome all comments and suggestions. I would be very thankful for any info. and or help you could throw my way.

Immediately waking up (5.30): 1 scoop whey protein
About 30 minutes later: 5 eggs with some chipped turkey mixed in
1 cup oatmeal with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter mixed in
Water / multivitamin / vitamin C, E

I workout before work so this is when I go to the gym for 45 minutes.

Immediately post workout: Dark Matter with some extra stuff I throw in
1 scoop of leucine, 1 scoop of bcca, 1 scoop of glutamine

45 minutes later 1 scoop of whey protein

1 hour later: 6 oz chicken / 1 cup brown rice

2.5-3 hours later: protein shake *I use syntha-6*
Sometimes with low fat milk / sometimes with just water
flax seed

2.5-3 hours later: 6 oz chicken / half cup brown rice / almonds

2.5-3 hours later: 1 scoop of whey with some oatmeal for carbs

1 hour later: Dinner: this could be 6 oz of chicken or steak
1 cup veggies

Before bed: 1 scoop syntha-6 with flax seed

Again...:thanks:

FirestormTT

Awards
Your diet looks pretty good to me. I struggle to see any UPS package car driver at 18%.. they're all built like a 2x4 :)

Anyhow.. you could try making every day a cardio day. Or at least 4 days a week of good intense cardio. Maybe add in a thermogenic.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Seems like alot of your diet is protein powder. I'd suggest beef jerky, cottage cheese, cold cuts, tuna/salmon, etc. instead of 3 shakes a day.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Seems like alot of your diet is protein powder. I'd suggest beef jerky, cottage cheese, cold cuts, tuna/salmon, etc. instead of 3 shakes a day.
I definitely agree...I guess when I'm on the run, like everyone, a protein shake is just so fast and easy.

Thanks.

ana420

ana420

Awards
I like that diet looks really good. I love the taste of peanut butter mixed in with oatmeal! and brown rice+chicken+almond meals are so easy to prepare and take on the go.

im curious to know a little more about your training routine, have you been progressing?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree...I guess when I'm on the run, like everyone, a protein shake is just so fast and easy.

Thanks.
I understand - it isn't easy. If its possible to get more solid foods in there tho you might be getting better results.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I understand - it isn't easy. If its possible to get more solid foods in there tho you might be getting better results.
I'm definitely doing to attempt that. This past week was hell, driving around in all the snow that we got. I hope things get back to normal this week.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I like that diet looks really good. I love the taste of peanut butter mixed in with oatmeal! and brown rice+chicken+almond meals are so easy to prepare and take on the go.

im curious to know a little more about your training routine, have you been progressing?
I too love the natural peanut butter mixed in with my oatmeal. I've been doing that for a few years now. :love: Peanut butter is probably one of my favorite foods!

I have been progressing. I was doing DC training from July to about December. I'm always switching things up because as well all know; the human body is amazing at adapting to routines.

I did want to ask; since I am shooting for gaining some lean mass, what should my sets/reps look like?

Should I pyramid up? Up the weight, lower the reps for each set.

What do you guys think? :thanks:

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I too love the natural peanut butter mixed in with my oatmeal. I've been doing that for a few years now. :love: Peanut butter is probably one of my favorite foods!
Hey FYI - I always buy 1 jar natural PB, 1 jar natural cashew butter and 1 jar natural almond butter. All 3 have a distinct, delicious flavor and can be switched out for a fresh taste to prevent boredom.

ana420

ana420

Awards
Sure you could up the weight and lower the reps but then it might look more like a powerlifting routine. which you could try.

Just remember asides from changing your routine up.. every workout you need to lift more than the last. Heavier weight, more sets or less rest. progressive overloads the name of the game.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Hey FYI - I always buy 1 jar natural PB, 1 jar natural cashew butter and 1 jar natural almond butter. All 3 have a distinct, delicious flavor and can be switched out for a fresh taste to prevent boredom.
I forgot to mention...I love almond butter too! It's expensive, but so worth it. I have never had cashew butter. I'll give it a shot.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
if you're trying to add lean mass or mass in general you need to eat a bit more bro. try and add 200-400 carories of food to your diet. do this for two weeks then add another 200-400......with small adjustments like this fat storage is minimal. add it either into your pre of post w/o meal. you'll be surprised what 200-400 calories can do

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
if you're trying to add lean mass or mass in general you need to eat a bit more bro. try and add 200-400 carories of food to your diet. do this for two weeks then add another 200-400......with small adjustments like this fat storage is minimal. add it either into your pre of post w/o meal. you'll be surprised what 200-400 calories can do
I believe it.

I decided this year to really start focusing more on the nutritional side of bodybuilding and I'm glad I did. I focused so much on the lifting, but didn't really put the effort into the nutrition. I can now easily see I'm drinking too many meals and not getting enough real food.

I'm glad I started posting here too. Everyone is very helpful and helping me fine tune my diet.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to mention...I love almond butter too! It's expensive, but so worth it. I have never had cashew butter. I'll give it a shot.
Yeah at roughly $12 a jar it certainly is a luxury but if you can afford it, it provides a bit of variety in a lifestyle with limited food options.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Yeah at roughly $12 a jar it certainly is a luxury but if you can afford it, it provides a bit of variety in a lifestyle with limited food options.
invest in a peanut butter maker or ask for one for your birthday or Christmas or something.....you can make you're own Almond butter. Buy almonds in bulk for a good price and you're g2g

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
invest in a peanut butter maker or ask for one for your birthday or Christmas or something.....you can make you're own Almond butter. Buy almonds in bulk for a good price and you're g2g
Yeah I have one but it sucks - its a hand crank one and it seriously takes me 2 hours to make one jar of pb. At $12 a jar prepared versus, let's say, $2 worth of nuts I'm pretty much paying $5/hr for my time. It might seem pricey but for me I don't flinch.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I have one but it sucks - its a hand crank one and it seriously takes me 2 hours to make one jar of pb. At $12 a jar prepared versus, let's say, $2 worth of nuts I'm pretty much paying $5/hr for my time. It might seem pricey but for me I don't flinch.
there are auto ones made. but i hear ya. hand crank one huh? how big have your forearms gotten.....lol

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
there are auto ones made. but i hear ya. hand crank one huh? how big have your forearms gotten.....lol
haha - its no joke, its a real work-out. I'll look into the auto ones tho, that might be a good investment.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I am giving myself a headache trying to figure this out, so again, I am here to ask for help.

I was messing around with the formula of your weight divided by 2.2 X 42 to get your caloric intake.

180 ÷ 2.2 = 82
82 X 42 = 3444
3444 ÷ 6 meals a day = 574

Ok...now what!?!

I just can't seem to get this.

howie6

Awards
looks pretty good man, like said before try by starting to substitute one of them shakes with a meal maybe your pre bed shake pick up some casein rather than using syntha six. but all in all looks like over time with dedication and motivation you will reach whatever your goals may be.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I am giving myself a headache trying to figure this out, so again, I am here to ask for help.

I was messing around with the formula of your weight divided by 2.2 X 42 to get your caloric intake.

180 ÷ 2.2 = 82
82 X 42 = 3444
3444 ÷ 6 meals a day = 574

Ok...now what!?!

I just can't seem to get this.
so you need 6 meals/day at roughly 600cal. each. If you find this amount of food is making you gain too quickly (too much fat, not enough protein) then you cut back on calories. If you are losing and you want to gain, increase calories.

Also, you have to address the macros. Remember you want as many grams of protein as lbs. bodyweight. So if you weigh 180 lbs. each of your 600 calorie meals should contain 30g protein minimum.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
@ Crazy Chemist - I guess I just don't know how to figure out the macros and how many calories certain foods have. I'm trying, but I just seem to be missing something.

How did you get the 30g of protein for my 180lbs? Stuff like that...how did you figure that out?

I am aiming for over 40g per meal by the way. Which I should, correct?

Just now I had 8oz of 95% lean ground beef with 1 sweet potato. I also took some fish oil tablets. I don't know the macros to what I just ate, but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I think I just had a breakthrough in this. LOL.
Ok, you got 30g by taking 180lbs (my goal weight) ÷ 600 calories (per meal).

I also remembered:

1 gram of protein - 4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates - 4 calories
1 gram of fat - 9 calories

Ok...I'm starting to get this.

Should I have some kind of format laid out, like: 40/40/20 ?
Or 50p / 30c / 20f ?

Where do you get the macros for food such as chicken breasts, ground beef etc...

Also, as I said I'm starting to get this, but I'm not fully there. What's next?

:thanks: !!!!!!

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I think I just had a breakthrough in this. LOL.
Ok, you got 30g by taking 180lbs (my goal weight) ÷ 600 calories (per meal).

I also remembered:

1 gram of protein - 4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates - 4 calories
1 gram of fat - 9 calories

Ok...I'm starting to get this.

Should I have some kind of format laid out, like: 40/40/20 ?
Or 50p / 30c / 20f ?

Where do you get the macros for food such as chicken breasts, ground beef etc...

Also, as I said I'm starting to get this, but I'm not fully there. What's next?

:thanks: !!!!!!
ok ur getting it. I got the 30g per meal by taking ur weight (180lbs.) and assuming you there need 180g protein daily. Take 180g divided by 6 meals = 30g.

To get the nutritional info on foods like chicken breast and ground meat go to either fitday or calorieking. You can also just google things like "chicken breast nutritional information". Once you plan out a weeks worth of meals (at 6 daily) with the correct marcos and correct portion size it'll be easier. But when you first start you need to constantly look everything up.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I finally got around to joining fitday.com to help nail this down. Is this the best site to use for figuring out your calories, protein/fats/carb intake? etc...

Thanks again for all the replies. :)

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I finally got around to joining fitday.com to help nail this down. Is this the best site to use for figuring out your calories, protein/fats/carb intake? etc...

Thanks again for all the replies. :)
its probly the one most ppl on this forum use.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
fit day is great. i like daily burn better though. the layout is easier IMO and there is an app for my ipod touch