is this too much Vitamin A in a day?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.7%

is this too much Vitamin A in a day?

hey guys i take megamen vitamin and its 5000 iu Vitamin A and i just bought some fish oil to take once a day, and it has 4500 iu of Vitamin A. so is 9500iu too much Vitamin A (that is without taking into account what food i eat)

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by stankydanky View Post
    hey guys i take megamen vitamin and its 5000 iu Vitamin A and i just bought some fish oil to take once a day, and it has 4500 iu of Vitamin A. so is 9500iu too much Vitamin A (that is without taking into account what food i eat)
    The recommended Vitamin A (as retinol equivalents) intake for adult males (>19 years) is 900 ug/day (i.e. 3,000 IU/day). The upper limit of Vitamin A (as Retinol equivalents) for adult males (>19 years) is 3,000 ug/day (i.e. 10,000 IU/day) (NHMRC, 2005)...Also to note that the upper limit refers to supplementation, and not that got from food.

Therefore, you are fine with a Vitamin A intake of 9,500 IU/day (i.e. 2,850 ug/day), considering that most of that will not be in Retinol equivalents.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.13%

You are pushing the limit though and Vit A is stored in the body and can build up to excessive levels over time. I would try to drop it out of one of the supps and make sure you are getting some natural sources:
    Tomatoes
    Cantaloupe
    Carrots
    Squash
    Pumpkin
    Sweet potatoes
    Anything orange-red is likely a good choice.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm no expert but Ive read about the upper limits being 25000 IU. In fact the beta-carotene supplement I have is 25000IU per tab. Seems like a little too much though, Ill probably get a different one next time
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    I'm no expert but Ive read about the upper limits being 25000 IU. In fact the beta-carotene supplement I have is 25000IU per tab. Seems like a little too much though, Ill probably get a different one next time
    beta carotene is different, as its more or less a precursor to vitamin A, and you are unable to get vitamin a poisoning from it regardless of dose unlike with other vit a sources
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.13%

From Mens Health (even though its specifically about women):

According to a 2002 Harvard Medical School study of 72,000 women, those who consumed between 4,300 international units (IU) and 6,600 IU a day of vitamin A had a 43 percent higher risk of hip fracture than those who consumed 1,700 IU or less. The risk was greater in women who got even more than 6,600 IU. Only one kind of vitamin A retinol, was linked to weaker bones. It’s found in animal foods (dairy, liver, eggs, etc.)

Beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A, is found in fruits and vegetables. It doesn’t increase the risk of hip fractures. Our PowerVites multi vitamins contains 100% Beta carotene.

The vitamin A in nutritional supplements can come from retinol (often called vitamin A palmitate or acetate), from beta-carotene, or from a combination of the two. (Check the nutritional supplements labels. Some simply list vitamin A, which isn’t very useful. But many brands of nutritional supplements also disclose what percentage of their vitamin A comes from beta- carotene, if so, the rest is retinol). To protect bones, limit to no more than 5,000 IU of retinol. But even less would be better, since people also get some vitamin A from their food. This limit is especially important for women (so far, no studies have been done on men’s bones and vitamin A). Roche Vitamins, a major manufacturer of vitamin A, says that many of the nutritional supplements vitamin-makers it supplies have agreed to lower their retinol levels to 2,500 IU

The National Academy recommends 10,000 IU “upper level” (UL) for retinol, which is the highest safe intake. The UL is based on evidence that more vitamin A may cause liver abnormalities and, if consumed by women of childbearing age, birth defects. Beta-carotene doesn’t cause those problems. Limit yourself to 15,000 IU because too much beta-carotene may increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers. (Beta-carotene from foods is safe).

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vitamin D
    By tattoopierced1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 11:48 PM
  2. Vitamin D, D2 & D3
    By JanSz in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM
  3. Vitamin A
    By ITHURTZ in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3