How do you consume your eggs? Raw or Cooked?

  1. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    How do you consume your eggs? Raw or Cooked?


    I was just wondering how everyone consumes their eggs each morning? I was thinking of trying to consume them raw but have been reading around that it is unsafe, how do you consume your eggs?

  2. New Member
    DieselFreak's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  253 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    65
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    98.67%

    I eat them either bolied or raw blended with OJ, if you eat them raw make sure you get pastureized eggs.
  3. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Sometimes I mix a raw egg or 2 with one scoop of protein, some whole milk, vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Tastes great and has all the calories and protein you could want; a good combo of whey and casien from the milk...
    •   
       

  4. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Eating eggs raw greatly reduces the bioavailability of the protein. Search it on Pubmed, or here on AM - I've posted the study abstract in the past.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  5. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Eating eggs raw greatly reduces the bioavailability of the protein. Search it on Pubmed, or here on AM - I've posted the study abstract in the past.
    I used the search button before asking the question but came up with nothing. I just tried searching on your subject and came up with nothing. Did a quick search online on the bioavailability of raw eggs and this is what I found;

    Bioavailability of protein in raw eggs
    The article states: "the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available."

    The study it cites was done with subjects that had a ileostomy, their large intestine and colon had been removed. This is not the case for the majority of people reading the article and doesn't reflect the bioavailability of protein in the general population. The statement should be removed as it is misleading.

    .............................. .............................. .............................. .............

    That being said it looks like it would be safe to use pasteurized eggs? Now the question is the price / if the store has it? I am going to be starting a M-drol / X-tren cycle next month and need to get a large amount of eggs each day to help with my lipid levels to keep cholesterol up where it needs to be. It takes me time each morning to build up an appetite for breakfast and was thinking that drinking the eggs raw would be an easier alternative.
  6. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Not the study I meant.

    Here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=4

    Healthy subjects. 30% More egg protein absorbed when cooked.

    Here too:
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  7. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Not the study I meant.

    Here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=4

    Healthy subjects. 30% More egg protein absorbed when cooked.

    Here too:
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
    The study was done on people that have had an ileostomy.
  8. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Only the second study.

    From the first:
    Ten healthy volunteers were studied once after ingestion of a cooked test meal, consisting of 25 g of (13)C-, (15)N-, and (2)H-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same but raw meal. Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine. A significantly higher percentage of the malabsorbed raw egg protein was recovered in urine as fermentation metabolites.

    Edit: From the methods: Ten volunteers (5 females and 5 males, mean age 27 yr, range of 21-37 yr) participated. None of the subjects had a history of gastrointestinal or metabolic disease or previous surgery (apart from appendectomy). The subjects had no gastrointestinal complaints and were free of antibiotics or any other medical treatment for at least 3 mo before the start of the study. The study was approved by the Ethical Committee of the University of Leuven, and all subjects gave informed consent.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  9. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    http://www.circlesoflight.com/health/raw-eggs.html

    http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=268

    I have answered my own question, thanks to Resolve. I came across a bunch of sites with information while I was looking for the bioavailability information.
  10. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Sigh... Yes, it's primarily safe to consume them raw, but why sell yourself short on the amount of protein absorbed?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  11. New Member
    bigrewards's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    66
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    23%

    Great information guys. I have only been on this site for a couple weeks and have learned so much.
  12. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Only the second study.

    From the first:
    Ten healthy volunteers were studied once after ingestion of a cooked test meal, consisting of 25 g of (13)C-, (15)N-, and (2)H-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same but raw meal. Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine. A significantly higher percentage of the malabsorbed raw egg protein was recovered in urine as fermentation metabolites.

    Edit: From the methods: Ten volunteers (5 females and 5 males, mean age 27 yr, range of 21-37 yr) participated. None of the subjects had a history of gastrointestinal or metabolic disease or previous surgery (apart from appendectomy). The subjects had no gastrointestinal complaints and were free of antibiotics or any other medical treatment for at least 3 mo before the start of the study. The study was approved by the Ethical Committee of the University of Leuven, and all subjects gave informed consent.
    The second test has no evidence to prove the results. All of the proven digestive issues are of people with ileostomy. And reading a lot of the scientific studies mention that raw eggs are beneficial / have no digestion issues with a person with a normal digestive system. Also to slower any digestion issues that may be present, supplementing with foods / milk (casein) will help out.

    Only receiving 50% or the protein would be a waste if this were the case, but as of right now I am going with until proven otherwise. Anyone can write a page saying such beliefs but the truth is proven with scientific numbers to show what is absorbed and what is not.
  13. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    The first study is valid on it's own. If definite numbers in healthy subjects don't convince you, I don't know what else to tell you man.

    Edit: I answered this: "the truth is proven with scientific numbers to show what is absorbed and what is not." here: "Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine." That's in healthy people!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  14. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    The first study is valid on it's own. If definite numbers in healthy subjects don't convince you, I don't know what else to tell you man.

    Edit: I answered this: "the truth is proven with scientific numbers to show what is absorbed and what is not." here: "Amounts of 5.73% and 35.10% (P < 0.005) of cooked and raw test meal, respectively, escaped digestion and absorption in the small intestine." That's in healthy people!
    Those numbers are nothing but #$%^, it does not say anything on the actual percentage that e absorbed. Nor does it say that those numbers are of the raw or uncooked studies. The proven study says that 51% is bipassed into the small intestine, which if you were to even use the 35.1% thats less than 50% (100 - 35.1 = 64.9%). Also with any testing the results will vary depending on if other things were consumed or not, also the persons metabolism and other factors. It takes multiple tests to find conclusive data. Are the same exact measures used for each test or were other foods consumed from one test to the next, or was the cooked test done secondly causing a higher number if the digestive system has not digested all of the matter and is giving higher numbers? With anything there are variables to an actual test being done, this even goes for percentage numbers when you go to a casino or something. A casino may say they have an 80% payout but their are many times where you win nothing, its all in how the numbers are factored and the variables to the whole test. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying that link did not give me anything that makes it seems that eating raw eggs are not as effective to cooked eggs. Also is the final findings the same per person or does it change from person to person? On the same note it has been said you lose some nutrients when breaking up the egg from oxidation and also from cooking, so which would be better in the end? It is hard to come with an exact answer to that..... And as technology has advanced would the same results be present now as back in the late 90's or would the results be different?
  15. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Did you even read the paper? Not the abstract, but the actual paper?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  16. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Did you even read the paper? Not the abstract, but the actual paper?
    Yes I read the papers.

    The first link;

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=4

    Is normal healthy people. This is the one I am referring to, that has no backing of information nor does it make the numbers clear.

    The second one;

    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

    Is for ileostomy patients. So this does not apply to most people!

    The second link has very good information but is not conclusive for someone who has a healthy digestive system. Hopefully I am not missing something to make an a$$ out of myself.
  17. New Member
    swollwilliams's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    209
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    5.12%

    i buy my egg whites bulk from a food service company then just scramble em' up, or make a egg white omelette w/ some low fat cheese and turkey breast... delicious!
  18. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    omelette's make an awesome breakfast swoll!

    SVT, well, if you're not convinced, consider: have you found any evidence that eating them raw IMPROVES absorbance? Or even has equal absorbance? I never have - any evidence always suggests lowered absorption. Yes, some of that evidence is in ileostomy patients, but none the less I know of no data supporting raw eggs for better bioavailability. You yourself said the "Proven study" says 51% isn't absorbed in the small intestine.

    Now, yes that is on average, but what's the standard deviation here? Probably not enough to close a 30-40% gap between raw and cooked absorption.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  19. New Member
    svtfocusman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    152
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    84.19%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    omelette's make an awesome breakfast swoll!

    SVT, well, if you're not convinced, consider: have you found any evidence that eating them raw IMPROVES absorbance? Or even has equal absorbance? I never have - any evidence always suggests lowered absorption. Yes, some of that evidence is in ileostomy patients, but none the less I know of no data supporting raw eggs for better bioavailability. You yourself said the "Proven study" says 51% isn't absorbed in the small intestine.

    Now, yes that is on average, but what's the standard deviation here? Probably not enough to close a 30-40% gap between raw and uncooked absorption.
    Yes, but the proven study was for people with digestive issues. Yes more evidence is put more towards saying raw is worse, but on the ileostomy testing. I am still unclear on if it effects 'healthy' people or not as a lot of sites say that the protein issue is just a myth when it comes to raw eggs. (I do realize it's the internet and people write their own beliefs and you can't believe everything you read.) I have found tons of sites saying raw is better not particulary on the protein but more for other nutrients. I'll have to say your right until I can come across some solid information on which is better. Thanks for the info!
  20. New Member
    Lacradocious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    287
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    21.08%

    I like em scrambled, boiled, or poached. I used to buy pasteurized egg whites to mix in with my protein shakes post workout. However, benefit to cost ratio is not favorable doing this.

    I find it hard to believe that raw egg whites are not bio-available. The acidicity and enzymes of the stomach and gut probably does a better job of breaking down protein than heat.

    This is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge of physiology and chemistry. I have little faith in research studies unless they are legitimitely peer reviewed and the results can be independently duplicated. Even scientists can "find" the evidence they need to support their claims even if wrong, and scientists are the most stubborn damn people on the planet short of politicians/lawyers.
  21. New Member
    TipTopShape's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    7798
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    48.66%

    I dont eat eggs any other way but cooked. I only eat scrambled eggs.
  22. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by svtfocusman View Post
    Yes, but the proven study was for people with digestive issues. Yes more evidence is put more towards saying raw is worse, but on the ileostomy testing. I am still unclear on if it effects 'healthy' people or not as a lot of sites say that the protein issue is just a myth when it comes to raw eggs. (I do realize it's the internet and people write their own beliefs and you can't believe everything you read.) I have found tons of sites saying raw is better not particulary on the protein but more for other nutrients. I'll have to say your right until I can come across some solid information on which is better. Thanks for the info!
    SVT, I have to say, this was one the better conversations I've had on AM in a while - you were eloquent, logical and brought good points to the table, all while being polite. Your ideas concerning nutrients other than protein are absolutely valid - I have seen little to nothing concerning their bioavailability. Thanks for a stimulating exchange!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  23. Advanced Member
    wedlund6's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    50.39%

    scrambled not over cooked. a little runny
  24. New Member
    ElectricPulse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    113
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    91.41%

    Well since I'm bulking I boil them and eat the middle not just the whites but the whole egg and eat them with Toast and Milk. Yummm :P
  25. New Member
    cmc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    196
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    17.38%

    Lol...my study says to partially cook them..best of both worlds.
  26. New Member
    Lou villian's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    386
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    41.54%

    I cook mine. This may sound stupid but i bought this thing called the EZ Cracker dude that thing is amazing for opening and seperating eggs. Might sound lazy to some but damn this little contraption is my new favorite thing!
  27. New Member
    cmc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    196
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    17.38%

    Haha..the Ez Cracker. Mine is called a woman...cooked them damn eggs..I'm hungry.
  28. New Member
    Lou villian's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    386
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    41.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by cmc View Post
    Haha..the Ez Cracker. Mine is called a woman...cooked them damn eggs..I'm hungry.
    Nice!!

    I might out weigh my wife by 100lbs but she still scares the living hell out of me. If i told her "cook them Damn Eggs" i would be wearing some eggs
  29. New Member
    orangerain's Avatar
    Stats
    5'2"  118 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    110
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    73.96%

    I cook the eggs I consume. I don't want to risk getting salmonella.
  30. New Member
    the GUNSHOW's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    294
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    sunny side up
  31. New Member
    b9cist's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    131
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    7.76%

    Def cooked - scrambled.
  32. Advanced Member
    omni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    540
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    68.67%

    Cooked, Hardboiled.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. RAW EGGS vs COOKED EGGS
    By LIFTEDnGIFTED in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
  2. How do you cooked your eggs?
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 02:28 AM
  3. Raw Eggs VS. Cooked Eggs
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM
  4. EGGS Raw or cooked??
    By PHWSSJ in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in