What are some of the best things to eat?

DavidCopafeel

Awards
I'm kind of new at this whole health business. I've asked different people about what healthy is, including vegans, and I always get a different answer. I figured you guys would know a thing or two about being healthy. So what are some of the best things to eat? And how much of each? Just to get a general idea of the landscape, you know.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
tuna, chicken, rice, veggies/fruits for starters

DavidCopafeel

Awards
I forgot to mention, I'm an ectomorph. Don't know if that changes anything.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Don't talk to vegans. They aren't people.

DavidCopafeel

Awards
My environmental science preacher was a vegan. Horrible class.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Chicken, Turkey, Fish, lean beef
Broccoli, spinach,sweet potato,all veggies
Apples, oranges, banana,berries,melon, all fruits
Rice, oats,nuts, peanut butter
Skim milk, whey protein powder
Water
Water
Water
MORE Water

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
you got that right. to the op, what are you're goals? just simply eating healthy is not specific enough.
That is true. Your goals will have a lot to do with your diet. A good start to eating clean would be to just eat real food.

DavidCopafeel

Awards
Yeah, I suppose you are right. I wasn't sure what to ask, you know, since I'm new at all this. So what are my goals? Maybe to get to about 180 pounds or so. Get a little bit of muscle, not to be a bodybuilder, but to get a little muscle, enough that can be noticed, and mainly to have a sustainable diet that can carry me into old age. As for real food, does pasta with powdery seasonings (you know, the kind that comes in a box) count as real food? And I certainly need to drink more water, holy crap I need to drink more water.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Agree with all of the above. Also, cottage cheese, eggs.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I suppose you are right. I wasn't sure what to ask, you know, since I'm new at all this. So what are my goals? Maybe to get to about 180 pounds or so. Get a little bit of muscle, not to be a bodybuilder, but to get a little muscle, enough that can be noticed, and mainly to have a sustainable diet that can carry me into old age. As for real food, does pasta with powdery seasonings (you know, the kind that comes in a box) count as real food? And I certainly need to drink more water, holy crap I need to drink more water.
Well of course whole wheat pasta is the best. The powdery seasoning could be loaded with tons of crap you don't want (msg maybe). I would just stick with whole spices.

That's not a complete meal without some protein and some veggies though. Frozen veggies are not as good quality wise but they are still good and much cheaper.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Whole non-processed foods. Lean organic or wild meats. Organic veggies/fruits. Water. Whey protein. Foods that do not include HFCS and or fructose not including fruit itself which is different.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Well of course whole wheat pasta is the best. The powdery seasoning could be loaded with tons of crap you don't want (msg maybe). I would just stick with whole spices.

That's not a complete meal without some protein and some veggies though. Frozen veggies are not as good quality wise but they are still good and much cheaper.
pack some butter on those veggies

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
how come no one has mentioned healthy fats???? olive oil, fish oil,coconut oil, mac nut oil, nuts, almond butter, natty peanut butter. no jiffy with hydrogenated oils and added sugars or whatever brand it is that has added sh!t

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
There is no best protein - many are very good for different
reasons! In my opinion, it is futile and possibly detrimental to stick to only one brand for the following reasons:

a) I always recommend that you cycle your supplements so that your body does not
get used to them thereby decreasing their effect,

b) for variety sakes alone, it breaks the
monotony and allows you to try different brands,

c) to take advantage of
the unique qualities offered by various brands, and

d) it is a good idea to switch the powders you use on a frequent basis to not develop
any food intolerances or even worse allergies (I have an article coming out on this
subject in the near future.) A blend that combines various protein sources (i.e.
casein, egg, whey, and even beef if you can find it) is your best bet. I highly
recommend the following: MD+ Myosin Protein Complex, Beverly International
Muscle Provider, Biotest Low-Carb GROW!, and .
WTF are you talking about this is horse****. IF you are buying form a reputable company you will never have these problems. Switching up brands is NOT going to prevent food allergies or intolerances if they contain roughly the same product either. God,.. beef powder as well....do you even know how to prepare that? The proteins you have listed are over priced garbage with fillers. Cycling protein powder? Are you f'n serious?! Refrain from posting your inaccurate ramblings in the future. I am dumber having read it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm kind of new at this whole health business. I've asked different people about what healthy is, including vegans, and I always get a different answer. I figured you guys would know a thing or two about being healthy. So what are some of the best things to eat? And how much of each? Just to get a general idea of the landscape, you know.
in the end, minimally processed foods, picking foods that have high nutritional content. I don't mean high calories per ounce, I'm talking about high vitamin values. Basically every meal should contain a protein source, green leafy or cruciferous vegetables, and a complex carb source. If your protein source is particularly lean, then you should add some healthy fats. Otherwise just add some nuts between meals as a snack

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
This kinda adds on to Easy's post above but i read somewhere you should always try to add some fats when u are going to eat carbs to help slow down the absorbtion and help with a more steady BG level. It makes sense

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i thin best possible single meal would be
8oz grilled salmon
1/2 cup raw asparagus
1/2 cup boiled spinach
1 cup cooked quinoa

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
8oz grilled salmon
1/2 cup raw asparagus
1/2 cup boiled spinach
1 cup cooked quinoa
Sounds good, but I can never eat my asparagus raw...gotta saute some garlicw/olive oil then add the A. till its bright green no more, and finish with some sesame seeds.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, but I can never eat my asparagus raw...gotta saute some garlicw/olive oil then add the A. till its bright green no more, and finish with some sesame seeds.
Mmmmmmmmmm. I`m havinf asparagus for dinner. I`ll try this tonight.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
reasons! In my opinion, it is futile and possibly detrimental to stick to only one brand for the following reasons:

a) I always recommend that you cycle your supplements so that your body does not

c) to take advantage of

d) it is a good idea to switch the powders you use on a frequent basis to not develop
any food intolerances or even worse allergies (I have an article coming out on this
subject in the near future.) A blend that combines various protein sources (i.e.
Muscle Provider, Biotest Low-Carb GROW!, and Dorian Yates Approved ProPeptide.
Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. Cycling protein? I am not even going to comment on that. You don't develop food allergies from eating too much of something.:bryce:

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
some high quality read meat(steak especialy) cooked rare. Now thats anbolic, super biovable protein. Cooking red meats too much degrades the protein.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
my #1 thing is pu$$y
....are you serious? if it comes from the earth, bleeds and breaths, eat it. well...kill it, clean it, cook it, and then eat it :)

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established

c) to take advantage of

Muscle Provider, Biotest Low-Carb GROW!, and Dorian Yates Approved ProPeptide.
Why is every post u have so far saying something about natural protein being good for just about everything? u trollin bro

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i usually grill it if i'm cooking it, or steam it, then olive oil + balsamic vinegar.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
i usually grill it if i'm cooking it, or steam it, then olive oil + balsamic vinegar.
I soak everything in Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil before cooking it....amazing!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Olive oil is great, get extra virgin cold pressed in a non clear bottle.

Everything I could think of has already been listed, but specifically blueberries are suppose to be really good, not surprising as its hard to find anything edible and organic which has the color blue in it.

Dark chocolate is something worth mentioning too, chocolate protein would be a good substitute though as long as you get the cocoa without all the sugar.

elliot21

Awards
Be aware of the caloric count in the protein bars you are considering, some of which will have up to 500 calories. This is way too many if you are interested in losing weight. Find a low carb protein bar that offers 200 calories or fewer, but still provides up to 15 grams of protein.

The ingredients of a protein bar are vital. Some of them will have an excess amount of artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Small amounts of these ingredients will cause your body no harm, but because they are so prevalent in many of our foods, it is best to avoid them whenever possible.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
always EVOO! Ive stopped eating protein bars, unless I completely have to eat something..

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Fish, chicken, turkey, beef, eggs, olive oil, broccoli, brown rice, and cottage cheese.

DavidCopafeel

Awards
Hey Easy, how lean or protein is what you call "particularly lean" And what are the best healthy fats? Oh yeah, what nuts do you recommend? I'm full of questions, but that's because this place is full of answers.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
basically chicken/turkey breast, most any fish or the following cuts of beef

Eye of round roast
Top round steak
Mock tender steak
Bottom round roast
Top sirloin steak

The best healthy fats would be any of the fats from nuts (walnut has some extra bonuses), flax seeds/oil, olive oil (not as much when it is used for cooking as that oxidizes it), coconut oil, fish oil.

I'm probably leaving one or two out

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
basically chicken/turkey breast, most any fish or the following cuts of beef

Eye of round roast
Top round steak
Mock tender steak
Bottom round roast
Top sirloin steak

The best healthy fats would be any of the fats from nuts (walnut has some extra bonuses), flax seeds/oil, olive oil (not as much when it is used for cooking as that oxidizes it), coconut oil, fish oil.

I'm probably leaving one or two out
Agreed on the steak, you forgot grapeseed oil, in the oils section.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, its healthy for use in cooking, i'm a little less sure of its use raw for nutrition

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
Olive oil is great, get extra virgin cold pressed in a non clear bottle.

Everything I could think of has already been listed, but specifically blueberries are suppose to be really good, not surprising as its hard to find anything edible and organic which has the color blue in it.

Dark chocolate is something worth mentioning too, chocolate protein would be a good substitute though as long as you get the cocoa without all the sugar.
Yes, berries are awesome especially blackberries and blue berries, but also strawberry and raspberries.

All green foods especially Brocoli, brocoli is the king of nutrition.

Ketchup has lycopene, you can get lowcarb.

One of the best cutting diets i would do would include a lot of fibrous vegetable, high fiber black berries, and red meat.

If you eat grass fed beed and organic berries, it almost like you lived a million years ago, a diet of foraging and hunting. No dam Corn, corn is in everything now.

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
yeah, its healthy for use in cooking, i'm a little less sure of its use raw for nutrition
It sounds great on paper, think of the antioxidant effects that the pil form grapeseed extracts have, you kill two bird in one stone, antioxidant effects, plus healthy mono saturated fats.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
And I certainly need to drink more water, holy crap I need to drink more water.
How did you get so dehydrated that it became a "holy crap" situation. I hope this doesn't come off as insulting. I just honestly whant to know.

DavidCopafeel

Awards
It's not that I'm severely dehydrated, it's more along the lines that I consistently don't drink any water in a day. If I have a bottle of water, it's a holiday.

DavidCopafeel

Awards
Ok, so what should be in every meal I have? A checklist of sorts, for me, the skinny ass ectomorph.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Good question, now this is a very difficult question because everybody is going to have an opinion on this. I am going to tell you the first thing I tell my clients before they start a wellness program with me. These are the basics.

For each meal you need to eat each of these macronutrients: Protein, Carbohydrate, and Fat. Without all 3 of these it does not constitute as a meal.

The best way to get each source:

Protein: Organic free range animals. Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Deer, Beef - all good sources of protein -- black beans, legumes, pinto beans

Carbohydrates: The best source is Vegetables - fresh organic -- sweet potatos, yams, Oatmeal, but I would stay away from breads and pastas. (if you can)

Fats: Good source of fats are: Vegetables - olive and cocunut oil, nuts, and fish.

You should be supplementing with a GOOD QUALITY multi vitamin, and a heavy metal free Omega 3 source (fish oil)

1. drink water (half body weight in oz/day)
2. cut out sweets
3. stay away from fried, processed, frozen, and packaged meals.
4. Eat more vegetables, you usually always need more :)
5. Have a positive attitude.
6. Anything that has 0 calories is Artificial and not made to go in your body!!!
7. Organic fruits vegetables and meats are very good for you
8. Do a cleanse every 6 months
9. Just because its "low fat" does not make it healthy
10. Learn to read labels - hydrogenized, artificial, High fructose corn syrup fructose, many other things = not healthy.

Hope this helps

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Good question, now this is a very difficult question because everybody is going to have an opinion on this. I am going to tell you the first thing I tell my clients before they start a wellness program with me. These are the basics.

For each meal you need to eat each of these macronutrients: Protein, Carbohydrate, and Fat. Without all 3 of these it does not constitute as a meal.

The best way to get each source:

Protein: Organic free range animals. Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Deer, Beef - all good sources of protein -- black beans, legumes, pinto beans

Carbohydrates: The best source is Vegetables - fresh organic -- sweet potatos, yams, Oatmeal, but I would stay away from breads and pastas. (if you can)

Fats: Good source of fats are: Vegetables - olive and cocunut oil, nuts, and fish.

You should be supplementing with a GOOD QUALITY multi vitamin, and a heavy metal free Omega 3 source (fish oil)

1. drink water (half body weight in oz/day)
2. cut out sweets
3. stay away from fried, processed, frozen, and packaged meals.
4. Eat more vegetables, you usually always need more :)
5. Have a positive attitude.
6. Anything that has 0 calories is Artificial and not made to go in your body!!!
7. Organic fruits vegetables and meats are very good for you
8. Do a cleanse every 6 months
9. Just because its "low fat" does not make it healthy
10. Learn to read labels - hydrogenized, artificial, High fructose corn syrup fructose, many other things = not healthy.

Hope this helps
Great post!! Thanks! :)

on #8, when you say "do a cleanse" what does that mean exactly?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
8oz grilled salmon
1/2 cup raw asparagus
1/2 cup boiled spinach
1 cup cooked quinoa
YES!!!!!!

although may be too much protein for some in that meal.

I love me some quinoa with macnut oil!!!

Buckwheat (cooked in chicken broth instead of water)

Amaranth (with 1 splenda per seriving)

those are seriously the only grains i eat, lol. best stuff on earth,

All veggies!!! cucumber, oinion, garlic zucchini, squash (all kinds), sweet potato, asparagus, string bean, mushroom

fruits i personally limit to these : bleberry raspberry strawberry, occasional banana , Avacados ( i believe they are a fruit),

fats macadamia nute, almonds EVOO coconut oil, fishoil, primrose oil,

for a little bit of taste i mix EVOO and Balsamic vinagette on chiken tste pretty good.

i hope these sources help

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Great post!! Thanks! :)

on #8, when you say "do a cleanse" what does that mean exactly?

There are different types of cleanses, or detox programs that are available. I recommend that you do some type of cleanse once or twice a year. You can cleanse your liver, galbladder, kidneys, blood, digestive system.... etc...