Protien for a veggie help !!!

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
hey guys i dont eat meat, i am a veggie but not a vegan lol,
I like to have oatmeal for breakfast as a source of protien,

I also eat nuts for more protien source, my problem is i like to eat brown rice with vegtables green trees lol, and lots of fruit,

what else could i add into this meal which isnt oatmeal or nuts and is a good source of protien for a veggie such as myself.

any help would be greatly appreciated, I also like muller light youghurts as their high in protien.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
soy protein?

other good sources are tofu, beans (legumes), um.... and i'm out of ideas....

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
soy protein?

other good sources are tofu, beans (legumes), um.... and i'm out of ideas....
hmm thanks will look them up yeah its hard, most people company rice with chicken or tuna, or some kind of meat, its hard when your a veggie. Im not a massive body builder but like a good healthy diet.

do struggle being a veggie when it comes to good protien sources.

Antigravity

Antigravity

Awards
just lacto-veggie or are you ovo-lacto-veggie?:

quinoa highest protein grain.
legumes: beans, soy+tofu
eggs- excellent source of protein (if you eat eggs)
milk. soy milk. whey protein (from milk)
pea protein powder. Wheat gluten. TVP (textured veggie protein)
also you can go the more commercial route like morningstar farms, yves, and boca. they all make high protein vegetarian proteins.

tofu and rice stirfry is pretty tasty!

Best,
A.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
You may have to do some searching, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of pea or rice based protein powders out now.
As an interesting side note, I also remember Dr. John Berardi giving the vegetarian thing a go very temporarily to see if he could still gain muscle that way. So, he may have some answers on his site too.
Good luck in your quest.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established

I also eat nuts for more protien source, my problem is i like to eat brown rice with vegtables green trees lol, and lots of fruit,

what else could i add into this meal which isnt oatmeal or nuts and is a good source of protien for a veggie such as myself.

any help would be greatly appreciated, I also like muller light youghurts as their high in protien.
If you have an Asian market nearby you may want to look at Natto, its fermented soybean and its 12 grams of protein per serving. Its delicious with some Kim-Chi & eggs :)
MK9

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
hey guys thanks for all your replies i will look into them all, the main kind of food i was looking for was something to company brown rice. Meat is a hard to find substitue,

i will look into all your recomendations and thanks again to all !!! any more comments are welcome :)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
do struggle being a veggie when it comes to good protien sources.
just something i think i should mention. there are some sources of protein as a vegetarian, and easily enough variety to hit the 200g or so most of us intake. your greatest challenge of being a vegetarian is your cholesterol intake.

cholesterol and mono fats are the building blocks of testosterone, and mono fats are probably high in your diet already (nuts). there's no way that the missing component in your diet is the creatine found in beef (or all us meat eaters wouldn't buy creatine) - the only variable you have to overcome as a vegetarian (IMO) is getting your HDL cholesterol levels up.

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
just something i think i should mention. there are some sources of protein as a vegetarian, and easily enough variety to hit the 200g or so most of us intake. your greatest challenge of being a vegetarian is your cholesterol intake.

cholesterol and mono fats are the building blocks of testosterone, and mono fats are probably high in your diet already (nuts). there's no way that the missing component in your diet is the creatine found in beef (or all us meat eaters wouldn't buy creatine) - the only variable you have to overcome as a vegetarian (IMO) is getting your HDL cholesterol levels up.
wow this is alot harder than i thought !!!!, im so tempted to break a habbit of a life time and turn to eating meat, because its seems so much easier.

Chicken or tuna is what im thinking about, as much as i dont want to, i think i might just have to lump it !

Antigravity

Antigravity

Awards
Just eat eggs- you get plenty of Choline, B12, Cholesterol, Iron and protein.
1 Jumbo egg has 8 grams of protein. ;)

However if you do break into the meat world- I'd say ease into it if youve been a veggie for a while because your body may not react favorably to eating meat. Start with lighter proteins like fish and then work your way up to the harder stuff. You can also take papaya or bromelain enzymes to help you digest if your having troubles with your meats.

Best,
A.

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
Just eat eggs- you get plenty of Choline, B12, Cholesterol, Iron and protein.
1 Jumbo egg has 8 grams of protein. ;)

However if you do break into the meat world- I'd say ease into it if youve been a veggie for a while because your body may not react favorably to eating meat. Start with lighter proteins like fish and then work your way up to the harder stuff. You can also take papaya or bromelain enzymes to help you digest if your having troubles with your meats.

Best,
A.
thanks alot for your concern and advice i will probably start of with tuna if i do start, not sure i will,

I guess i will have to start buying chickens lol... so they can lay eggs of course lol stop stairing at them all you meat eating body builders !!!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
eggs are definitely the best source of cholesterol.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Soy protein is such garbage. 90% of it comes from Monsanto and is genetically modified. It's estrogenic anyway. I know what isn't estrogenic; steak, bacon, butter, etc.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
thanks alot for your concern and advice i will probably start of with tuna if i do start, not sure i will,

I guess i will have to start buying chickens lol... so they can lay eggs of course lol stop stairing at them all you meat eating body builders !!!!
Eat wild meat that you have hunted and butchered yourself or at least organic. If you have an area to raise your own animals that would be awesome. side note; I knew a veggie bb'r that I went to school with. After 3 years he said f this and bought a pork roast and ate the whole damn thing himself ahaha.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've recently started eating greek yogurt...there is a ton of protein per serving and it really minimizes the sugar/carb intake.

the FF greek yogurt I get at trader joes has 24g of protein per serving and only 6g of sugar!

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
as stated here already,
whey protein,
eggs,
quinoa,
greek yoghurt,
tofu,
nuts & beans,
fake meats (which surprisingly have a good nutrient profile).

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
a good whey protein that i use is the platinum hydro whey... its 30g protein PER SCOOP lol

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
thanks again for all your suggestions has really helped me !!! thanks again :)

Jaidmaster

Jaidmaster

Awards
I was a lacto-ovo veggie for 12 years (vegan for a short time).
Lots of eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, rice and beans, nuts, some soy - fermented soy products such as tempeh. Whey/casein shakes as well...
Started eating fish about 5 years ago - tuna, salmon, etc.
Just recently added chicken back into the diet...

Anyway - good luck!

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
you are what you eat. your not gonna get big eating celery and lettuce. Your not saving animals being a veggie, so EAT SOME DAMN MEAT! oh yeah whey protein thats real good... but im gonna eat a big ol steak hope your crap food fills you up.... :toofunny:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
you are what you eat. your not gonna get big eating celery and lettuce. Your not saving animals being a veggie, so EAT SOME DAMN MEAT! oh yeah whey protein thats real good... but im gonna eat a big ol steak hope your crap food fills you up.... :toofunny:
Haha. ***** ass vegans.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Eat the meat. Everything is living anyway, so when you eat plants you're still eating something living. If your a vegetarian for religious reasons, just say a prayer over the meat before you eat it. I've even seen Buddhist monks eat meat. Just get organic free range meat, which is better for you anyway although it cost more of course.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
aye brah get this veggie burger things from walmart or krogers or grocery stores warm up two of them its 30 grams put some cheese on it there u go 40 grams sandwich right there.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
aye brah get this veggie burger things from walmart or krogers or grocery stores warm up two of them its 30 grams put some cheese on it there u go 40 grams sandwich right there.
Sure, if you want to be a *****. Soy protein is estrogenic.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Soy protein is for women! Animal Flesh is for MEN!!!

But if you really arent going to eat meat at all at least eat some eggs, and not just the whites eat the friggin yolk, it will help raise your test.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Soy protein is for women! Animal Flesh is for MEN!!!

But if you really arent going to eat meat at all at least eat some eggs, and not just the whites eat the friggin yolk, it will help raise your test.
The yolk is the yummy part. I hate the white part of the eggs when they are hard boiled, but I love the yellow part.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
I have periods of the year where i dont eat animals or animal products, for protein check out Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO it's a great alternative to soy. Which some studies say increases estrogen serum levels. its super fine grain tasteless/orderless and mixes well with everything from fruit juice to oatmeal.

nynone

nynone

Awards
Soy protein is such garbage. 90% of it comes from Monsanto and is genetically modified. It's estrogenic anyway. I know what isn't estrogenic; steak, bacon, butter, etc.
mind explaining how soy protein is estrogenic? i know the soy bean naturally has estrogenic properties, but it's never been proven to convert into estrogen in the body, or be considered estrogenic when it comes to digestion. correct me if i'm wrong, as i have been told so many different things.

i know people who swear buy soy, guys who've even built substantially large bodies and stay lean (under 10% body fat).

but, to the OP, if you're thinking about breaking into the carnivorous ways of mankind, as nike would say "just do it". i cant find anything better than beef and chicken for my daily intake... plus red meat has creatine naturally. make sure you ease yourself into it though. your body may hate you for eating that tasty chicken ya know? also, if you don't want to eat the meat, stick with whey isolate/concentrate protein. i believe whey isolate is the fastest absorbing of all protein, and correct me if i'm wrong guys!

peace out ya'll

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Oatmeal is not a good source of protein. Protein shakes. Amaranth, quinoa soy beans, beans with rice combo work togehter. I am a vegetarian my self close to vegan.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
If you decide to eat meat, look for grass fed.. No need to eat toxic meat, or as I like to call it baby steroid meat which is available everywhere.
You are what you eat is very true, a cow is no longer a cow when it is fed chicken parts, thus all the diseases as a result.. Look it up and research it.
Buy from local farmers and support your economy, I know I do :) If you do not want to eat meat that is fine too, stick to your guns and make sure your meals contain complete proteins even if you have to add more grains, and eggs. Its just a pain to get creative when making vegan dishes.
Go to vegetariantimes.com for all kinds of recipes.
MK9

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've recently started eating greek yogurt...there is a ton of protein per serving and it really minimizes the sugar/carb intake.

the FF greek yogurt I get at trader joes has 24g of protein per serving and only 6g of sugar!
Bump! Greek Yogurt is GREAT, i tried it last week...omg, delicious stuff and a lot better not only in nutrition, but in taste as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1
Daff Supplements 9
Supplements 9
SwoleNation Supplements 8
nasty88 Nutrition / Health 25