zucchini/squash

shugrblossm

Awards
I'm assuming that squash and zucchini are about the same thing. My question is why do I keep reading that this food is high in carbs, calories, very starchy, and to be consumed in moderation. One medium zucchini is only 30 cals and 7 carbs. Am I missing something?

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Some squash have more carbs and are more starchy than others. If you want a low carb/starch squash, go with spaghetti squash.

Butternut are much higher in carbs and starches.

orangerain

Awards
This is my first time to hear about this so I am surprised that that is so. I searched the internet for more information and this is what I got:

Squash are fleshy vegetables protected by a hard rind. They belong to the plant family that includes melons and cucumbers. The skin and rind of summer squash are rich in the nutrient beta-carotene, but the fleshy portion of this vegetable is not. To gain the full nutritional benefits of this vegetable, the skins or rinds must be eaten.

This is from Discovery Health.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Zucchini is great, and spaghetti squash are delicious and full of tons of fiber (tasty eaten like regular spaghetti w/ sauce and sausage/ground meat over the top). Pumpkin is pretty healthy too, higher in carbs, but full of LOTS of potassium if I recall. If eaten at the right time of the day, many squash can be a great food choice.

shugrblossm

Awards
This is my first time to hear about this so I am surprised that that is so. I searched the internet for more information and this is what I got:

Squash are fleshy vegetables protected by a hard rind. They belong to the plant family that includes melons and cucumbers. The skin and rind of summer squash are rich in the nutrient beta-carotene, but the fleshy portion of this vegetable is not. To gain the full nutritional benefits of this vegetable, the skins or rinds must be eaten.

This is from Discovery Health.
Thanks for your research. I'm going to look into spaghetti squash. Never heard of it.