Tuna in a can...

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
Ok, how many of us eat this? My question is, just how much protein is in a typical one? For example, I have a 6 ounce can,(Kroger brand -very good by the way) it says on the label that it contains 2 x 2.5oz servings @ 13gms protein each. That only adds up to 5oz? So does it have 32.5gms protein? can't really tell. Not to nit pick, but, I wouldn't mind being clear on these things when I'm trying to be more careful.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
the extra ounce is probably water and bones. just multiply the serving size by protein amt and you are golden bro!! this definitely wouldnt make any difference anyway

alexx33

Awards
not only is tuna a great protein source but also a great OMEGA 3 source as well.

i try to eat atleast 2-3 cans a day.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Basic math dude come on, 13 x 2.5 = 32.5 grams...if you eat a lot of canned tuna drink at least 1 gallon of water a day because tuna have lots of heavy metals in their meat

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
100g of canned tuna tends to have 65g of edible portion. This contains about 14 - 16g of protein. So you can do the math on 200g cans etc

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Canned salmon is a much better choice if your eating for omega-3's and want a low mercury content.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
It says it has two 2.5oz servings. That means you have two servings in total, so 13 x 2 = 26g of protein, not 32.5.

Also it's not a great idea to eat tuna every single day, as it can have high levels of mercury. I will eat it every day for a bit, but then I give myself a few weeks off to let my body process any mercury that may have been building up. Not bullet proof but meh. Tuna light has lower levels then regular tuna.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I usually eat tuna every other day. And yes it would be 26 not 32.5

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
get the chunk light tuna... i've read where it has lower count of mercury... its cheaper too.

stay with tuna in water.

its good if you mix it with cottage cheese... trust me.

cmc

cmc

Awards
How is the taste of that canned salmon? Do you mix it with anything?

JMD

Awards
Hey, seriously, don't eat that much canned, commercial tuna. There is no doubt that it has mercury in it that can seriously affect your Leydig cells, I can't post the link here because I don't have fifty posts, but if you type "Leydig cells mercury" you'll see what I mean; it can create a host of other neuological problems also. I ate it three times a day for about five months and have been seeing doctors ever since, not joking. There are too many other places to get protein than to have to eat tuna all the time, and if you have to do it, please take something for your liver plus a decent amount of MSM or garlic.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Ok, how many of us eat this? My question is, just how much protein is in a typical one? For example, I have a 6 ounce can,(Kroger brand -very good by the way) it says on the label that it contains 2 x 2.5oz servings @ 13gms protein each. That only adds up to 5oz? So does it have 32.5gms protein? can't really tell. Not to nit pick, but, I wouldn't mind being clear on these things when I'm trying to be more careful.
At least a gram of water. 32.5 gm is probably the best estimate.