Gaining: Calories Vs. Protein

Punisher63e

Awards
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before or not.

In the past, when I would start off on a bulking up journey, I would focus on a high-caloric diet with protein to match my body weight in grams. However, I would pay more attention to the calories than I would protein intake and now I'm starting to wonder which is better for the young weight-lifter. Now, when I say high calories I mean 3000+ per day. So my question is:

To gain lean mass and build serious muscle through an intense work-out schedule, is it more important to get 3000+ calories per day or more important to focus on the protein? Would 2500 calories per day but more like 2x g/protein to body weight be better?

Obviously when you go to work out you want calories and carbs in your stomach to give you the fuel and energy you need to blast those trapz and, when you come home you will be hungry and so you will need to restock on calories. But I'm starting to feel that the high protein is more important than simply shoving calories down your gullet.

Is this true? I'd rather only work on getting 2500 or so calories in a day than 3000+ and focus more on eating high protein items.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
everyone is different in regards to carbs and fat ie high carb or keto type diet. but i think as long as you are taking in 1.5g/lb of protein ur good. i mean if u take a 200lb guy and eat 2g per lb thats 400 grams of protein, i think that may be overkill. but for someone like me 130lbs i eat about 270-300g protein/day

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
If you focus on eating 350 - 400g of protein per day the calories will come...You would have to eat straight boneless skinless chicken breasts with nothing else to only eat 2500 cals a day if you took in 400g protein.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
NVM....

I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed this...

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You need carbs if you truly want to bulk... Protein is important, but chicken doesnt have very many calories. 2500 calories is not a lot mate, thats more like a diet for cutting rather than bulking and not taking in enough carbs and fats can become catabolic....

UKStrength

You need carbs if you truly want to bulk... Protein is important, but chicken doesnt have very many calories. 2500 calories is not a lot mate, thats more like a diet for cutting rather than bulking and not taking in enough carbs and fats can become catabolic....
Agreed ^^^ You need all the macronutrients (to a degree), you can't build muscle on protein alone, I'd whack some fats and carbohydrates in there too.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Also agree I eat more calories when I try to cut. Presonally I try to keep a fairly balanced diet 34-33-33 p/f/c on bulk and 40 -30 -30 for a cut where I have higher protien to keep muscle. That's just how I do it. I tried keto and it was horrible. Keto is not for me

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gamer2be08 again.

I'll get you later good advice as usual.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how do you only weigh 130 and eat 300 g of protein a day????? anyways,i think both. do a clean bulk. eat alot of high protein foods and the cals will come. dont forget cabs :D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you focus on eating 350 - 400g of protein per day the calories will come...You would have to eat straight boneless skinless chicken breasts with nothing else to only eat 2500 cals a day if you took in 400g protein.
no, that would only be 1600 calories

Gym4Life

Awards
  • Established
Agreed ^^^ You need all the macronutrients (to a degree), you can't build muscle on protein alone, I'd whack some fats and carbohydrates in there too.
Is brown wholemeal rice a good source of carbs for someone who is carb sensetive ?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
everyone is different in regards to carbs and fat ie high carb or keto type diet. but i think as long as you are taking in 1.5g/lb of protein ur good. i mean if u take a 200lb guy and eat 2g per lb thats 400 grams of protein, i think that may be overkill. but for someone like me 130lbs i eat about 270-300g protein/day
theres alot of articles on Tnation about how a gram of protien per pound of body weight is what u you need.. with you being 130 270-300 seems overkill:redeemerwhore:

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont really focus on calories because I know if I am eating in a high protein and high carb diet, i will get the calories i need.

Getbiig

Awards
I weigh 170LBS and ive been taking in around 3000 calories a day, about 200-250g sometimes more on protien.

Im shooting for the clean bulk.

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i take 400-430 a day
250lbs

thats what works for me. 400pt/330c/70 fat