120lbs to 165lbs - time to get ripped...

RedneckDB

Awards
Hello all -

I recently joined these forums and thought it was about time I sorted out a strict diet to help burn fat and either maintain or gain lean muscle mass. Based on my current goals I would like to get 'cut/ripped' before then lean bulking to 185 then eventually 200 although I see this as being a long journey I will get there !

A long story cut short, at the age of 18/19 tired of weighing 120lbs and being 'weak/small' I decided to join a gym/weight train, it did take me a long time to work out what did/didn't work for me and thankfully I was introduced to Squats and deadlifts 2 years ago and also gained a lot of knowledge about how and what to eat when etc in summer of 2008 I was forced to take 3 months due to having glandular fever but since then I have got far stronger on my lifts particularly Squat/Deadlift although they aren't 'big' by most peoples standards I am pleased with my current progress. Now just turned 23 I am weighing between 165-170lbs depending on when I weigh myself and would like some advice on diet. I am not currently sure of BF % but I'd imagine it is around 15% maybe slightly less maybe slightly more.

First of all I've calculated what I believe to be my 'rough/approx' maintenance calorie intake based on my activity level/body weight and have put it at 2725 can someone tell me if they think that sounds right or if they think I am way off mark.

I was going to follow a macro split of 50p/30c/20f and all food will be 'clean' split between 6 meals per day this would look like;

2725 Cal Daily Maintenance -

50% Protein = 1362.5 Cal = 340g

30% Carbohydrates = 817.5 Cal = 204g

20% Fats = 545 Cal = 60.5g

I would split this between 6 meals a day resulting in the following split per meal throughout the day [training around approx 8am most days]

Per Meal 'approx' -

56g Protein
34g Carbs
10g Fat

Now as stated above if anyone thinks the above is 'wrong' in some way then I am open to all your opinions as I've not ever 'recorded' a diet before just always made sure to eat good sources of everything wherever possible.

Also - would it be an idea to taper the calorie intake down each week by roughly 100cal throughout the 6-8week program? I might have to adjust the overall figure of '2725' after the first week or 2 anyway if it doesn't seem to be enough or is too much so I will have to allow for some flexibility I guess.

My basic theory from research so far is that by following a diet of 'maintenance level' calories whilst following a heavy lifting program - 4 days a week + 15min sessions of HIT Cardio twice per week I will be able to burn fat and keep my current muscle.

I will when I start a training log post up some pictures although I don't have great pics of when I started the difference will still be obvious. I will also post up the current w/o routine I am following as well as updates on progress with each day where possible.

Supplements -

Met R-X Supreme Whey Protein [ Seen good results from this in the past + good taste + doesn't cause any stomach upset! ]

BSN N0 Xplode + BSN Cellmass - I tried BSN N0 Xplode as a 'tester' recently and both workouts I used it were off the scale for me for energy from start to finish so that is why I have chosen to use this one and to stack with Cellmass - hoping I will respond well. I also tried Met R-X amped on alternate workouts from the N0 xplode and found that it didn't do anything for me - a can of redbull would be better IMO!

Again any advice is much appreciated!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
my advice - keep your diet as is, do not drop calories, and by adding in the HIIT, you'll reach your goals. i don't see the need of cutting calories + doing HIIT unless you have a lot of weight to shed. maybe bump your HIIT to 3x per week, but that's about it. also, HIIT works better if you lower/drop all fast digesting carbs from your diet and replace it with slow digesting ones.

RedneckDB

Awards
thanks for that, It's not so much having to drop lots of weight, its just losing the stubborn fat around my stomach that I've put on from just eating for growth and not tracking it even though eating clean 99% of the time. Most carb sources for me are Oats/brown rice/wholewheat pasta/potatotoes/beans etc at the moment.

In your opinion do the starting calorie splits I posted up look ok [obviously I will have to find whats right for me] but I just wanted some advice on if I was in the right area here?

Thanks!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you're on the right track, and HIIT will kickstart your metabolism without having to drop calories.

2700 is a bit high for maintenance, but my maintenance calories are higher than normal levels too.

RedneckDB

Awards
Cool, thats good to know - I am trying to figure out how to post a PDF on here as I have my current workout program saved in PDF format and it would good to be able to just upload that so excuse the retardedness at the moment as I figure these forums out a bit more !

RedneckDB

Awards
Thought I would give the recording the diet a go today to see how the calorie intake was - pushing for the 2725 felt a bit high actually but that could have been because I woke up late and had first meal at 1030am instead of 630/7...was a legs day today though and went well. Anyway heres the breakdown for anyone interested - [Going for a 50p/30c/20f Split]

Meal 1 - Breakfast 10:30am

250ml Semi Skimmed Milk
50g Oats
50g Whey [Met Rx Supreme Whey]
20g Blue Berries

Protein = 47.58g - 190.32 Cal
Carbs = 51.74g - 206.96 Cal
Fats = 12.64 - 114.12 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 511.4 Calories

Meal 2 - Post Work out Shake 1pm

600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
25g Whey Protein

Protein = 37.1g - 148.4 Cal
Carbs = 33.475 - 134 Cal
Fats = 12.33 - 110.9 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 393.3 Calories

Meal 3 - Lunch 3pm

130g Chicken Breast
50g Brown Rice
Salad - Red Pepper/Cucumber - Not included in calorie Count

Protein = 43.91g - 175.64 Cal
Carbs = 38.5 - 154 Cal
Fats = 4.29 - 38.61 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 368.25 Calories

Meal 4 - Dinner 6pm

50g Brown Rice
102g Carrot
130g Tuna [Can]
Asparagus [Not included in calorie Count]

After meal - 2 Kiwis, 1 Orange [Not included in calories]

Protein = 37.5g 150 Cal
Carbs = 44.5g - 178 Cal
Fats = 2.6 - 23.4 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 351.4 Calories

Meal 5 - Snack - 8pm

600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
50g Whey Protein

Protein = 53.8g - 215.2 Cal
Carbs = 37g - 148 Cal
Fats = 14.55g - 130.05 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 493.25 Calories

Meal 6 - Snack - 11pm

100g Cottage Cheese [Possibly not enough here]
37g Peanut Butter [ too much]
20g Cashews [Not enough]

Protein = 24.84g - 99.36 Cal
Carbs = 18.48g - 73.92 Cal
Fat = 33.58g - 302.22 Cal

Total Calorie Intake - 475.5 Calories

Daily Totals:

Overall Daily Calorie Intake = 2592.71 Calories [was aiming for 2725]

Protein - 244.73g - 978.92 Cal
38% of Daily Calorie Intake

Carbs - 223.69g - 894.78 Cal
34% of Daily Calorie Intake

Fat - 79.89g - 719.01 Cal
28% of Daily Calorie Intake

So today didn't go to badly, I need to re-evaluate a few things to balance out the protein/carb/fat ratio a bit more but will first try and hit the 2725 calories - If I find that it is feeling too high and I've possibly over calculated then I will drop down to aim for 2600 with the same 50/30/20 ratio and go from there.

Any comments on diet so far appreciated - clean enough? anything you would add in/take out?

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
Your diet looks fine, at 168lbs I am not sure why you would be thinking of cutting... you need to grow. You can just up your cals keeping the same ratios (and style of diet) untill you start to gain fat, then back off 500 cals or so. you will be bulking, but it will be a clean way of doing it. So often people use the "bulking phase" for an excuse to treat their body like ****. dont be one of those.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
A lot of your pro is from shakes. I don't know your shedule but if you can get more from food I'd suggest that. I'd also lower pro a bit and add healthy fats to your diet. You are on the right track and the best of luck to you. I started at 130 lbs 5 years ago.

Also I'd suggest a lean bulk rather than cut. You can improve looks w a lean bulk. That's just me and if your heart set on a cut go for it.

Best of luck!

RedneckDB

Awards
A lot of your pro is from shakes. I don't know your shedule but if you can get more from food I'd suggest that. I'd also lower pro a bit and add healthy fats to your diet. You are on the right track and the best of luck to you. I started at 130 lbs 5 years ago.

Also I'd suggest a lean bulk rather than cut. You can improve looks w a lean bulk. That's just me and if your heart set on a cut go for it.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice - definately hear you on the 'too many shakes' what I am going to do is replace one of those 'shake' meals later on with a chicken or tuna/meat with brown rice/veg type meal - I was aware that I probably wouldn't get close to the expected calorie intake without adding another shake in on Saturday so in that respect it was useful heh.

I think your right with the lean bulking idea because if my calories are at maintenance or even slightly above then I should be burning up fat and leaning out as I get bigger?

RedneckDB

Awards
Your diet looks fine, at 168lbs I am not sure why you would be thinking of cutting... you need to grow. You can just up your cals keeping the same ratios (and style of diet) untill you start to gain fat, then back off 500 cals or so. you will be bulking, but it will be a clean way of doing it. So often people use the "bulking phase" for an excuse to treat their body like ****. dont be one of those.
Ok I will attempt this as it makes more sense to me. I will adjust the calories as I go, would just like to flatten that last bit of my stomach out and get more 'cut' in look but if I am to gain muscle size then I will look a lot better at this size and bigger with the lower bf%

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
Thought I would give the recording the diet a go today to see how the calorie intake was - pushing for the 2725 felt a bit high actually but that could have been because I woke up late and had first meal at 1030am instead of 630/7...was a legs day today though and went well. Anyway heres the breakdown for anyone interested - [Going for a 50p/30c/20f Split]

Meal 1 - Breakfast 10:30am

250ml Semi Skimmed Milk
50g Oats
50g Whey [Met Rx Supreme Whey]
20g Blue Berries

Protein = 47.58g - 190.32 Cal
Carbs = 51.74g - 206.96 Cal
Fats = 12.64 - 114.12 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 511.4 Calories

Meal 2 - Post Work out Shake 1pm

600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
25g Whey Protein

Protein = 37.1g - 148.4 Cal
Carbs = 33.475 - 134 Cal
Fats = 12.33 - 110.9 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 393.3 Calories

Meal 3 - Lunch 3pm

130g Chicken Breast
50g Brown Rice
Salad - Red Pepper/Cucumber - Not included in calorie Count

Protein = 43.91g - 175.64 Cal
Carbs = 38.5 - 154 Cal
Fats = 4.29 - 38.61 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 368.25 Calories

Meal 4 - Dinner 6pm

50g Brown Rice
102g Carrot
130g Tuna [Can]
Asparagus [Not included in calorie Count]

After meal - 2 Kiwis, 1 Orange [Not included in calories]

Protein = 37.5g 150 Cal
Carbs = 44.5g - 178 Cal
Fats = 2.6 - 23.4 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 351.4 Calories

Meal 5 - Snack - 8pm

600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
50g Whey Protein

Protein = 53.8g - 215.2 Cal
Carbs = 37g - 148 Cal
Fats = 14.55g - 130.05 Cal

Total Calorie Intake = 493.25 Calories

Meal 6 - Snack - 11pm

100g Cottage Cheese [Possibly not enough here]
37g Peanut Butter [ too much]
20g Cashews [Not enough]

Protein = 24.84g - 99.36 Cal
Carbs = 18.48g - 73.92 Cal
Fat = 33.58g - 302.22 Cal

Total Calorie Intake - 475.5 Calories

Daily Totals:

Overall Daily Calorie Intake = 2592.71 Calories [was aiming for 2725]

Protein - 244.73g - 978.92 Cal
38% of Daily Calorie Intake

Carbs - 223.69g - 894.78 Cal
34% of Daily Calorie Intake

Fat - 79.89g - 719.01 Cal
28% of Daily Calorie Intake

So today didn't go to badly, I need to re-evaluate a few things to balance out the protein/carb/fat ratio a bit more but will first try and hit the 2725 calories - If I find that it is feeling too high and I've possibly over calculated then I will drop down to aim for 2600 with the same 50/30/20 ratio and go from there.

Any comments on diet so far appreciated - clean enough? anything you would add in/take out?
I would eat a couple more whole food meals as opposed to shakes. The benefits are far mroe superior from whole food. Don't feel as if a shake is NEEDED for pre or post workout. Try thowing in eggs, egg whites and also some red meat.

RedneckDB

Awards
I would eat a couple more whole food meals as opposed to shakes. The benefits are far mroe superior from whole food. Don't feel as if a shake is NEEDED for pre or post workout. Try thowing in eggs, egg whites and also some red meat.
Cool, yeah thanks, I think I mentioned earlier in the thread after someone else said I should do that that I would be changing it up to keep some more dead animals in there :)

So far managing to have meals with brown rice + veg and then cycling between tuna/chicken breast/turkey/steak for the meat just so I don't get tired of having the same thing 3-4 times a day heh.

Thanks - I am going to throw up a log thread at some point for my w/outs but the diet is still not 'perfect' in the actual counting calories department although I am eating very clean still.

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
Cool, yeah thanks, I think I mentioned earlier in the thread after someone else said I should do that that I would be changing it up to keep some more dead animals in there :)

So far managing to have meals with brown rice + veg and then cycling between tuna/chicken breast/turkey/steak for the meat just so I don't get tired of having the same thing 3-4 times a day heh.

Thanks - I am going to throw up a log thread at some point for my w/outs but the diet is still not 'perfect' in the actual counting calories department although I am eating very clean still.
This is why some of us are here. I like to help out others as much as I can. feel free to ask me anything.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established

if u dont have enough time to cook or eat a bunch of meals with alot of meat instead of a shake u could use powerbutter which is really good BTW. its just peanut butter, egg whites and flax. 32G protein per serving, 19 fat and 12 carb. throw it on some ezekial bread and theres 40g protein

RedneckDB

Awards
Thanks, sounds good, cooking things isn't too bad actually because I can cook meat slightly in advance such as doing 3-5 chiken breasts at a time and keeping say 3-4 of those covered in the fridge and using them for meals with rice/veg etc over the next few days + tuna in a can is always good

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kBrown LG Sciences 1
EddyRay Nutrition / Health 5