fats an carbs in college cafateria

brandowas

Awards
I was wondering what foods would be good choices for good carbs, and what foods would be good choices for healthy fats that could be found at a typical college cafateria? Any others in college that would know this, or any feedback in general would be great. thank you!

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Brown rice, brown pasta, oatmeal, and all wheat bread.. And im sure the only thing your school serves is wheat bread and oatmeal... Get you a cheap rice cooker to keep in your dorm and get bulk brown rice...

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Healthy fats would come from olive oil, peanut butter, nuts etc...

DenDestroys

Awards
Not only do you have to worry about carbs and fats in the cafeteria, but what about the protein? They bread or fry just about every protein source in these cafeterias. Carbs are all white flour, enriched sources in there.

I dropped my meal plan down to one meal a day, where I will eat breakfast because I do have oats, eggs, egg whites, and milk available to me. Other than that, I cook my food up on the weekends and take a cooler back to school and jam pack my fridge with my meats. Because I eat about 5000 calories a day I run out usually around Wednesday, then I will run to local grocery store or walmart and search for chuck steaks, chicken breasts or turkey and cook it back in the dormitory kitchen that is available to residence. Store that in tuperware and place it in the fridge.

The rice cooker is a good idea, but if you cannot get that, use oats and sweet potatos, as you can just throw those in the microwave and have it in no time.

Have tuna and whey protein on hand are good in times of despair when you run out of chicken or red meat.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
Not only do you have to worry about carbs and fats in the cafeteria, but what about the protein? They bread or fry just about every protein source in these cafeterias. Carbs are all white flour, enriched sources in there.

I dropped my meal plan down to one meal a day, where I will eat breakfast because I do have oats, eggs, egg whites, and milk available to me. Other than that, I cook my food up on the weekends and take a cooler back to school and jam pack my fridge with my meats. Because I eat about 5000 calories a day I run out usually around Wednesday, then I will run to local grocery store or walmart and search for chuck steaks, chicken breasts or turkey and cook it back in the dormitory kitchen that is available to residence. Store that in tuperware and place it in the fridge.

The rice cooker is a good idea, but if you cannot get that, use oats and sweet potatos, as you can just throw those in the microwave and have it in no time.

Have tuna and whey protein on hand are good in times of despair when you run out of chicken or red meat.
same. I cut my meal plan pretty light(not 1 meal a day though) simply because My schools food is a disgrace. thats what i get for going to a small school. I bought a griddle, crock pot, blender, hot pan and cook most of my own food. unless you can get your food cooked to order chances are the contracted food company goes cheap on everything. Not going to find too much. It depends on your school though, this is my experience at my school.

orangerain

Awards
In our university caf, they usually sell brown rice with your choice of grilled/steamed fish. Instead of going for the typical white rice and fried food, go for that instead. Also, you might want to buy a bowl of fresh fruit salad or a cup of yogurt.