Is my Muscle Building Diet Ratios Accurate?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Is my Muscle Building Diet Ratios Accurate?

Hi,

My ultimate goal is to bench press and clean and jerk 370lbs and squat and deadlift 462lbs at a body weight of 185lbs and body fat at 5% max.

I've read that the optimum calories to consume in order to gain muscle mass is 18 to 20 calories per pound bodyweight. With that in mind, I would really appreciate your guidance and input as to whether (1) my muscle building nutrient ratio is accurate; (2) whether my proposed diet will be effective for achieving my goal; and (3) whether my proposed diet has too much carbs and protein. This is my first time trying to calculate my optimum macronutrient ratios and diet regimen. I've also included my current training routine as well. Thanks in advance.

Protein requirements:
    200 (current bodyweight) * 18 (calories) = 3,600 calories per day
    3,600 * 0.3 (% for protein) = 1,080 protein calories per day
    1,080 / 4 (calories per gram of protein) = 270 protein grams per day
    270 / 6 (number of meals) = 45 protein grams per meal.

Carbohydrate requirements:
    200 (bodyweight) * 18 (calories) = 3,600 calories per day
    3,600 * 0.5 (% for carbs) = 1,800 carb calories per day
    1,800 / 4 (calories per gram of carbs) = 450 carb grams per day
    450 / 6 (number of meals) = 75 carb grams per meal. (this seems a lot!)

Fat requirements:
    200 (bodyweight) * 18 (calories) = 3,600 calories per day
    3,600 * 0.2 (% for fat) = 720 fat calories per day
    720 / 9 (calories per gram of fat) = 80 fat grams per day
    80 / 6 (number of meals) = 13 fat grams per meal.

Water requirements:
    0.5 * 200 (bodyweight) = 100 ounces
    100 / 8 (ounces per glass) = 12.5 glasses of water per day (this seems too much!)

Proposed Diet based on above ratios (this seems like too much carbs! I currently eat a lot less than this):
    Meal 1: 2 glasses water, 6 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal in water, fruit
    Meal 2: (Post workout): 2 glasses water, Elite Whey protein (1 scoop in water), Flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon), 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup rice and lentil peas
    Meal 3: 2 glasses water, 1/2 cup Soya chunks (stir fried with Olive Oil), 1/2 cup rice and peas, spinach
    Meal 4: 2 glasses water, Elite Whey protein (1 scoop in water), Flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon), 4 slices whole wheat toast
    Meal 5: 2 glasses water, 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup rice and lentil peas
    Meal 6: 2 glasses water, Elite Whey protein (1 scoop in water), Flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon), 4 slices whole wheat toast

(After looking at this proposed diet, I realized I am still getting less than 45 grams protein for most meals! Is my estimate too high! Or do I really need this much protein and carbs?)

My current weight training routine:

Monday:
    Bench Press, 2 sets 5 reps
    Deadlift, 2 sets 8 reps
    Front Squats, 2 sets 8reps
    Military Press, 2 sets 5 reps
    Barbell Curls, 2 sets 8 reps
    Dumbbell Triceps Extension, 2 sets 8 reps
    Abs, 9 sets 15 reps

Tuesday:
    Rest

Wednesday:
    Clean and Press, 2 sets 5 reps
    Barbell bent rows, 2 sets 5-8 reps
    Chins, 2 sets max number of reps
    Abs, 9 sets 15 reps

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday:
    Back Squats, 2 sets 8reps
    Bench Press, 2 sets 8 reps
    Close Grip Bench, press 2 sets 5-8 reps
    Barbell Curls, 2 sets 5-8 reps
    Abs, 9 sets 15 reps

Saturday & Sunday:
    Rest

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Answers

For me even bulking with a 40/40/20 CHO/PRO/FAT macros makes me put on a lot of fat because I am very sensitive to carbs. Looks like you are at 50% CHO, if you have gone this high before and you don't layer up to bad then give it a shot, or you may want to start with the 40/40/20 split and tailor it from there, you may think this is high on the protien but some guys go as high as 2 grams per pound of bodyweight

As far as your training goes maybe add more volume and train a body part once a week hard and give it a full seven days rest, you could go as high as 12-20 sets per body part this way
  3. Board Supporter
    Answers

Props for your planning but I think you are mistaking rules of thumb for hard numbers. The 18 - 20 calories per pound of bodyweight is only a guideline. Everyone's metabolism and daily energy expenditures are different. The only way to know what you need is to ballpark it (like you have done) and then hit the scale in a couple weeks then adjust as necessary.

Personally I think tweaking ratios to be overated.

Lastly, if you want to push those kind of weights you might want to look into a powerlifting type program such as Westside.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Something that stands out is the water intake dont forget you get some of that water from your foods so i assume that number of 100 ounces of water means what you get in your food and what you drink so it may be more like only having to drink 8-9 glasses im not positive but its the concept.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

@jayts22, thanks for your reply. I like your suggestion of starting with a 40/40/20 because the 50% carbs will be too much for me. Now the only problem I have now is being able to afford to 40% protein because even the 30% protein was expensive for me. I was wondering, is it a good idea to change my bodyweight in my macro from 200 to say 190 and use the 40/40/20 split, that way I can better afford the protein, hopefully lower my bodyweight and gain strength? Or am I trying to kill too many birds with one stone and shoud just focus on gaining strength and eating clean first? Anyway, I will take your advice from tomorrow.

@Nitrox, thanks for your reply and especially for the Westside Barbell recommendation - what a great site! Yes I am beginning to realize that the 18-20 calories per pound bodyweight is just a guideline and without even trying the 50% carbs, I could imagine that I would put on too much weight too quickly.

@jumpshot903, thanks for your reply. Yeah the 12.5 glasses seemed too much because I know personally I would feel very uncomfortable trying to drink that much. I think I'll increase my intake from 6 to say 9 glasses per day.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Cheap protien = chicken breasts
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Building muscle
    By JMD199123 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
  2. For Sale: Muscle Building Package (Muscle Builders)
    By anty in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
  4. Building muscle !
    By 2fat in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 10:32 AM