Help with vitamins

tjw1104

Awards
Hey guys im new to this vitamin world, its been sugested to me to start taking them for years now so i jusst decided to give it a shot. so i started asking guys at the gym what u should puchase. so this is what i ended up with
-multivitamin
-vitamin c
-milk thistle
-flax seed oil
-fish oil
Im not sure how much of each of these i should take what times of the day on an empty stomach full stoamch, the only this i was really told was take the flax seed with food but not how mant mg to take and, also to take 1000-2000 mg of vitamin c per day not sure if its all at once or spread out

I would greatly appreaciat any help and thank u in andvance

OZjames007

OZjames007

Awards
also look at glucosamine & magnesium and calcium..

i dont take Milk thistle as i dont drink alcohol, soft drink and eat healthy..exercise blah blah.. obviously it would be benefical but if we were to take everyting that was "helpfull" then youd walk out of the shop with a shopping cart full of pills...

I notice if i take my multi near dinner i'll feel constipated...

I usually take it with lunch and plenty of water... the whole lot of them.. be ready for fluro urine

tjw1104

Awards
how many miligrams of fish oil. flax seed and also the flax seed should i take ? daily and at what times? with out without food

OZjames007

OZjames007

Awards
that i cant tell you as i only take the recc dosages on each bottle. i take 3 tabs of F.O. a day.. i skip the flax seed

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys im new to this vitamin world, its been sugested to me to start taking them for years now so i jusst decided to give it a shot. so i started asking guys at the gym what u should puchase. so this is what i ended up with
-multivitamin
-vitamin c
-milk thistle
-flax seed oil
-fish oil
Im not sure how much of each of these i should take what times of the day on an empty stomach full stoamch, the only this i was really told was take the flax seed with food but not how mant mg to take and, also to take 1000-2000 mg of vitamin c per day not sure if its all at once or spread out

I would greatly appreaciat any help and thank u in andvance
imo your vit c is too high especially if its ascorbic acid. it will be too harsh on your stomach and may cause upset.

you should look for a buffered form of vit c -magnesium ascorbate or calcium ascorbate.Also build up to the high dose and you may find that you will urinate much of it out,So whilest some may be necessary too much maynot be.

milk thistle is not necessary unless you have been drinking excessively or taking drugs.
i would include in the oils monosaturated oil such as extra virgin olive oil and take udo s choice instead of flax.

your mutli vit should contain the recommended daily allowance at least but remember some vits are toxic -vit a and d, e, You can overdose on vit b and c because both are water soluble and any excess will go down the toilet.

you have not mentioned a multi mineral which should include calcium , magnesium , zinc copper selenium .

Remember though that these are not a substitute for a well balanced diet which as a bodybuilder , weight trainer you should be getting anyway.

vits/min should be taken with food to enhance absorbability

minerals are best taken with your last main meal .vit c can be taken in divided doses ,one after training , vit b complex before training .

the way you cook your food will help retain vits and minerals so dont over cook and preferably steam or use a pressure cooker

captgarrett

Awards
Here's my take on this, as well as the so called people who think that diet along provides it all.

First, multivitamins are certainly better than no vitamins at all, but just like anything else, I prefer packs that provide you with the vitamin as individual as possible. I don't think I have to quote a scientific study to reasonably believe a Vitamin E pill will give me a better form of the vitamin than some magic pill with 80+ vitamins all at perfect levels. In fact the multivitamin is too small in most cases to provide the volume of nutrients that I think is missing from the average american diet.

I'm a big fan of convenience, so I use some from healthy n fit that has like 12 vitamins in a pack. Each vitamin serves a specific purpose in the pack, not 12 multi's. There are many other multi-packs that are great as well. Now your body can't possibly absorb that many at one time, so I take half in the morning (with food) and the other half at night (with food). I would encourage you to go this route.

I have run into a lot of people who claim you get it all through your diet, but who are they kidding. You're diet would have to extremely specialized to get the proper balance of everything every day. I don't care if I piss out 95% of my vitamins on a day when my diet provided me with what I needed, but I DO care if I don't have enough of what I need on those days the diet doesn't get it done.

One thing I can tell you as well is that I feel better when I take them from when I don't. I also seem to recover a little faster as well.

For my Omega 3, which you don't tend to find in multi's or multipacks, is through eggs. You can buy eggs from Kroger with 660mg of Omega 3 fatty acids in them. I boil those bad boys and eat them. Eat them however you want, but that's my preference. You also get the GOOD cholesterol from eggs as well as a generous 6g of protein on average from each egg. That's a lot from something you can eat in one bite. I eat them as a late night snack food while I'm gaming or watching tv.

I also bought a little package of flax seeds. I throw them on random meals to get those in. I'm not overly worried about getting the perfect amount of these, but I use generous helpings when I do use it.

If you want a link to the vitamin packs I use, pm me and I'll send you the link, been real happy with them. Available at most gyms and stores too.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Here's my take on this, as well as the so called people who think that diet along provides it all.

First, multivitamins are certainly better than no vitamins at all, but just like anything else, I prefer packs that provide you with the vitamin as individual as possible. I don't think I have to quote a scientific study to reasonably believe a Vitamin E pill will give me a better form of the vitamin than some magic pill with 80+ vitamins all at perfect levels. In fact the multivitamin is too small in most cases to provide the volume of nutrients that I think is missing from the average american diet.

I'm a big fan of convenience, so I use some from healthy n fit that has like 12 vitamins in a pack. Each vitamin serves a specific purpose in the pack, not 12 multi's. There are many other multi-packs that are great as well. Now your body can't possibly absorb that many at one time, so I take half in the morning (with food) and the other half at night (with food). I would encourage you to go this route.

I have run into a lot of people who claim you get it all through your diet, but who are they kidding. You're diet would have to extremely specialized to get the proper balance of everything every day. I don't care if I piss out 95% of my vitamins on a day when my diet provided me with what I needed, but I DO care if I don't have enough of what I need on those days the diet doesn't get it done.

One thing I can tell you as well is that I feel better when I take them from when I don't. I also seem to recover a little faster as well.

For my Omega 3, which you don't tend to find in multi's or multipacks, is through eggs. You can buy eggs from Kroger with 660mg of Omega 3 fatty acids in them. I boil those bad boys and eat them. Eat them however you want, but that's my preference. You also get the GOOD cholesterol from eggs as well as a generous 6g of protein on average from each egg. That's a lot from something you can eat in one bite. I eat them as a late night snack food while I'm gaming or watching tv.

I also bought a little package of flax seeds. I throw them on random meals to get those in. I'm not overly worried about getting the perfect amount of these, but I use generous helpings when I do use it.

If you want a link to the vitamin packs I use, pm me and I'll send you the link, been real happy with them. Available at most gyms and stores too.
so your eating an average american diet/?kfc, burger king , macdonalds , pizza , icecream ?

the richest country in the western world and you cannot get fresh fruit and vegetables -organic or not in your area.

captgarrett

Awards
so your eating an average american diet/?kfc, burger king , macdonalds , pizza , icecream ?

the richest country in the western world and you cannot get fresh fruit and vegetables -organic or not in your area.
The average american may patron those on occasion, but usually the lower income brackets rely on them to an excessive extent to call it their diet.

But to answer the question straight-no, I'm a very low carb protein diet running a calorie deficit to lower body fat percentage. My point is there is literally a grocery store list as long as my arm of vitamins and minerals that we're suppose to eat for proper balance. Some more important than others mind you, but it's all but impossible to get them all through my diet. I eat on average of 5 times a day, mainly consisting of negative caloric fruits and vegetables.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
The average american may patron those on occasion, but usually the lower income brackets rely on them to an excessive extent to call it their diet.

But to answer the question straight-no, I'm a very low carb protein diet running a calorie deficit to lower body fat percentage. My point is there is literally a grocery store list as long as my arm of vitamins and minerals that we're suppose to eat for proper balance. Some more important than others mind you, but it's all but impossible to get them all through my diet. I eat on average of 5 times a day, mainly consisting of negative caloric fruits and vegetables.
wheres your protein source and good fats
you talk of not getting a balanced diet but it looks as though that is a choice you have made , its not as though its not possible to eat a balanced diet

OZjames007

OZjames007

Awards
i believe the top was vitamins not protein/diet..

either way.. convenience tops all.. one multi then various other top ups?
i just had my dinner n im about to down 7 plus pills.. hahha good luck.. try whats best for your..

Alot of the time i feel compelled to buy the cheapest vitamins on offer. sometimes at 70% off.. might aswell. try the ones on sale and see if you notice an improvement in your wellbeing..