drinking alcohol affecting protein synthesis?

iamparenti

Awards
Ok, so ive heard from friends that drinking alcohol does something similar to not allowing the synthesis of protein for up to 24 hours, or something like this... This could be somewhat of a problem for me since i do like to enjoy a glass of scotch before bed every night, nothing crazy but still it got me to think...

Anyone have inciteful info?

Thanks alot

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alcohol lowers protein synthesis by up to 20 percent...

RyanOFelt

Awards
I know this thread is old, but if you're drinking 1 glass of scotch, it's not a problem. The real issue is binge drinking. Hell, I even do that and I am currently making the best gains of my life. Ive had periods where I quit completely, but at least for me, the difference wasn't noticable enough to keep me from enjoying alcohol. Just my 2 cents.

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
20% doesn't sound like much, but also the alcohol calories just turn to fat I think, and it also lowers testosterone. But I wouldn't worry about 1 drink, hopefully you train in the morning though, it probably would be worse for your training if you lifted in the evening and drank a few hours later.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
i agree will illgixxer. it probably doesn't affect you much as long as you train earlier in the day. but i wouldn't make it an everyday thing...

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I lift and do cardio in the morning. I drink a large glass of red wine with dinner every night. Are there any studies on the effect of one drink a night? Man, everything I have read says nothing but positives for one to 3 glasses of red wine a night.