drinking alcohol affecting protein synthesis?

1. drinking alcohol affecting protein synthesis?

Ok, so ive heard from friends that drinking alcohol does something similar to not allowing the synthesis of protein for up to 24 hours, or something like this... This could be somewhat of a problem for me since i do like to enjoy a glass of scotch before bed every night, nothing crazy but still it got me to think...

Anyone have inciteful info?

Thanks alot

2. Alcohol lowers protein synthesis by up to 20 percent...

3. http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigalcohol.htm
    Here is an informative link on alcohol and its catabolic effects...

4. I know this thread is old, but if you're drinking 1 glass of scotch, it's not a problem. The real issue is binge drinking. Hell, I even do that and I am currently making the best gains of my life. Ive had periods where I quit completely, but at least for me, the difference wasn't noticable enough to keep me from enjoying alcohol. Just my 2 cents.

5. 20% doesn't sound like much, but also the alcohol calories just turn to fat I think, and it also lowers testosterone. But I wouldn't worry about 1 drink, hopefully you train in the morning though, it probably would be worse for your training if you lifted in the evening and drank a few hours later.

6. i agree will illgixxer. it probably doesn't affect you much as long as you train earlier in the day. but i wouldn't make it an everyday thing...
  7. Unbreakable
    Within your darkest memories lies the answer if you dare to find it. Don't let hope become a memory. When you think all is forsaken, listen to me now; you need never feel broken again. Sometimes darkness can show you the light.

8. Very good read!

9. I lift and do cardio in the morning. I drink a large glass of red wine with dinner every night. Are there any studies on the effect of one drink a night? Man, everything I have read says nothing but positives for one to 3 glasses of red wine a night.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Drinking alcohol on cycle
    By illgixxer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
  3. Drinking alcohol on superdrol?
    By xine in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 03:21 AM
  4. Pain days after drinking alcohol