Are we obsessed?

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in since its more just of a chat topic. Not that I just noticed but I feel like I stand out from all my friends and just most people in general as being overly obsessive about my health, weights, and appearance. It seems almost impossible to get to where you want to be without being like this. Things like eating every hour and a half to two hours. Eating huge proportions. Dreading going out of town because you don't want to be away from your gym or fridge full of food. Writing down your calories every time you eat something. Looking in the mirror a lot. Avoiding alcohol as much as possible even when it makes you stand out. Does anyone else think about this ever and how much you sacrifice to be devoted to lifting?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in since its more just of a chat topic. Not that I just noticed but I feel like I stand out from all my friends and just most people in general as being overly obsessive about my health, weights, and appearance. It seems almost impossible to get to where you want to be without being like this. Things like eating every hour and a half to two hours. Eating huge proportions. Dreading going out of town because you don't want to be away from your gym or fridge full of food. Writing down your calories every time you eat something. Looking in the mirror a lot. Avoiding alcohol as much as possible even when it makes you stand out. Does anyone else think about this ever and how much you sacrifice to be devoted to lifting?
Acceptance is the first step.

Welcome, keep coming back. It works if you work it.

:)

thestudent333

Awards
Over the holidays I had family saying I'm to obsessed for these very reasons. However, I constantly heard them talking about how they need to lose some weight or get in shape all while eating crap. Maybe it's an obsession but one well worth it. Many of us who chose this lifestyle do it for ourselfs and our own happiness. Standing out for positive reasons isn't a bad thing.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Everyone is "obsessed" with something. Take a good look at your friends and you will see that they have their "obsessions". Whether its partying, sex, drugs, sports, money, or thrill seeking, everyone has their own little hobby to be obsessed with.

you have chosen your body to be your obsession....welcome to the club...live long and prosper haha.

And yes i have been the the guy who stuck out for my emphasis on physical prowess since i was....well since forever. Whether it was in 1st grade for doing karate all the time....9th grade for sacrificing weekends for wrestling...college for not drinking and staying out too late b/c i had to do deadlift on saturday....to today.

This is the price of being what we are. This is the price we must pay...but in the end unlike a majority of the world...we have something to show for it that lasts more then a night.

statik

statik

Awards
Everyone is "obsessed" with something. Take a good look at your friends and you will see that they have their "obsessions". Whether its partying, sex, drugs, sports, money, or thrill seeking, everyone has their own little hobby to be obsessed with.

you have chosen your body to be your obsession....welcome to the club...live long and prosper haha.

And yes i have been the the guy who stuck out for my emphasis on physical prowess since i was....well since forever. Whether it was in 1st grade for doing karate all the time....9th grade for sacrificing weekends for wrestling...college for not drinking and staying out too late b/c i had to do deadlift on saturday....to today.

This is the price of being what we are. This is the price we must pay...but in the end unlike a majority of the world...we have something to show for it that lasts more then a night.
I'm going to show this to my girl next time she's bitching bout me going to the gym.... maybe then she'll understand.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to show this to my girl next time she's bitching bout me going to the gym.... maybe then she'll understand.
tread carefully my friend....i have had one relationship end b/c of my working out

Another was the source of conflict

All others dont understand me but it wasnt a big issue cause they liked the fact i was happy and they enjoyed dating someone all strong and muscly lol

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
my girlfriend told me last night... "your not as big as you think you are"... i ignored her because 15 minutes earlier she told me nobody railed her as hard as i could... lmfao

to the OP, i feel like i spend way too much time thinking about the gym and supplements. kinda sad.

BigRedSwoll89

Awards
obsessed is a word the lazy and weak use toward people like us

Mindless

Awards
what you call obsessed, i call super awesome looking!

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
Well you guys make me feel normal haha. I wish more of my closer friends took lifting as seriously as I do.

panmerc

panmerc

Awards
GoHard nailed it on the head. Most people have their own obsessions. Look at trully successful people. Most could be considered "obsessive". Thats's how you get where or what you want in life. The one's who aren't obsessive are just mediocre.

Example: Benjamin Franklin tried thousands of times before he harnessed electricity. Some would call him "obsessed" but thank God he was. haha or we wouldn't be posting.

Anyways, Don't listen to those who try to stop you from your goals.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Totally normal bro! My mom, friends, co workers and most anybody I know says im obsessed with the gym, my sleep, the amount of food I eat, the supplements I buy, the fact i dont drink. They all find it weird when I get upset that I have to be away from the gym for more than a day or when I dont get in sufficient calories or protein... I think its funny because all the people that find me obsessive are generally skinny fat, fat, and unhealthy ****s that never picked up a weight in their lives... If it is an obsession, it is a good one! And one that I will keep with me until I die...

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my girlfriend told me last night... "your not as big as you think you are"... i ignored her because 15 minutes earlier she told me nobody railed her as hard as i could... lmfao

to the OP, i feel like i spend way too much time thinking about the gym and supplements. kinda sad.
Hahaha, your too funny bro...

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
All very good points. I think it is up to each person to decide whether your "obsession" is affecting the quality of your life.

It all comes down to that. Only you know whether other areas of your life are suffering. Let's face it, although health and appearance are important things, we all have lives outside of lifting. The small details aren't even worth obsessing over anyway. Just live your life.

Obsessing over food, writing meals down, looking in the mirror constantly (like a douche), obsessing over meal timing, worrying about being out of town...that's no way to live life. Unless you like it that way.

There is no difference in my body from when I was obsessed and to what I am now. The only change is now I can enjoy a beer or two with friends. I can eat out and be social. I don't obsess over eating.

I think people obsess over it because they want to feel in control. "I know that I got the best results possible." Yes, true. I guess you just gotta find a balance and what works for you.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
What is wrong with being passionate about something? You only have one life to live. BE obsessed. Don't waste your life in mediocrity. Do something extraordinary.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It all depends on the person right... You can still live a balanced life and be considered "obsessive", at least I do. I have time to lift whenever I want, work and hang out with family and friends. I spend money on supps, but I have enough money to sustain the necessities of life and then some... I can take my protein and get in the necessary calories I need throughout the day and still continue life in a normal fashion... And im sure most of the individuals posting on this site do the same...

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
What is wrong with being passionate about something? You only have one life to live. BE obsessed. Don't waste your life in mediocrity. Do something extraordinary.
I totally agree. I just know when I die I don't want to be super jacked with no friends and no memories except the gym. Live your life. You can be in excellent shape and be extremely healthy and not be thinking about food all day long or worrying about missing a workout.

Then again...obsessed to us isn't obsessed to a normal person. My friends thought I was weird for eating salmon,rice, and broccoli. I think they are weird for eating frozen pizza.

You just gotta find your balance, everybody is different. I became more relaxed when I started culinary school. Food is to be enjoyed, not worried over. I am not going to turn down good food because it doesn't meet my macronutrient requirement. That's BS. I am not a pro, I just want to be in shape.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
— Mark Twain

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. I just know when I die I don't want to be super jacked with no friends and no memories except the gym. Live your life. You can be in excellent shape and be extremely healthy and not be thinking about food all day long or worrying about missing a workout.

Then again...obsessed to us isn't obsessed to a normal person. My friends thought I was weird for eating salmon,rice, and broccoli. I think they are weird for eating frozen pizza.

You just gotta find your balance, everybody is different. I became more relaxed when I started culinary school. Food is to be enjoyed, not worried over. I am not going to turn down good food because it doesn't meet my macronutrient requirement. That's BS. I am not a pro, I just want to be in shape.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
— Mark Twain
agreed, personally i wanna look big and strong. I love food tho, espicially junk who doesnt tho? i eat healthy try to eat 5 big healthy meals to get my nutrition in for the day. other times i might eat some candy, or peanuts or watever or drink some propel.. most of us arent doing comps so i dont see the problem with bending the rules for eating a bit.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
When it's strictly about image it can be a obsession. If your truly passionate about your health and love to exercise then it's just a lifestyle.

rottie76

Awards
  • Established
Yes, most definitely! I don't know if it's a good thing or not but I spend more time here - on the forums, reading about the latest supplements, people's training progress etc. then doing other things. LOL I love the pain from a good workout - does it make me a masochist? :32:

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
dude u r soo normal! my gf says if i could i would have my bedroom walls all mirrors. i feel like nobody wants to look this way and im like why the he!! not!

dpfisher

Dude you're going to look the same in the afternoon as you did in the morning, you probably don't need to check the mirror like 15 times a day

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
When it's strictly about image it can be a obsession. If your truly passionate about your health and love to exercise then it's just a lifestyle.
Very true sir! I am still passionate about health but not image. Health is more about the big picture. A healthy lifestyle to me involves not being strict or paranoid about diet or training because it's not mentally healthy for me. I consider looking better as a bonus for living a healthy lifestyle.

Dude you're going to look the same in the afternoon as you did in the morning, you probably don't need to check the mirror like 15 times a day
Haha, exactly! If you check yourself out/flex in front of the mirror excessively, you might be a douche bag.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obsession and dedication can be a fine line. Ask yourself this .. are you having fun? I mean really enjoying yourself. How do you feel about yourself as a result of your training?

About others, there will always be people around you that try to drag you down because your success makes them feel bad about themselves. Since when does striving for excellence mean there is something wrong with you? I find mediocrity distastefull and a waste of time, does that have to mean obsessive. Obsession has more to do with the reasons than the action.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If being obsessed with health and lifting is my biggest problem. Then I am fine with that :)

Most people consider it obsessive to workout and eat correctly and especially use supplements. The majority are jealous and just want to tear you down.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i know when i wake up and after i hit the gym, im a little different size wise cause i have a huge pump normally. lol

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
If anyone has seen the documentary on steriods called bigger, faster, stronger, greg valentino said he had the small guy complex. He couldn't grow taller so he grew wider. We all know about the story of his arms "exploding". He obviously had a image issue and terribly low self esteem. He became obsessed with how he looked and that's all that mattered to him. This can happen to a lot of guys. Just like girls open up cosmo and and think they need to look like that girl us guys open up muscle and fitness and think that's what we need to look like. The important thing is that we are happy with who we are on the inside. Comfortable and confident in our own skin. When we are not we can go to the extremes. Got a friends dad that constantly puts her down about how she's not thin enough or her husband is not muscular enough but her dad's been on roids all his life and is divorced, has a girlfriend half his age. Looks is all he thinks about.

incorrection

Awards
not so much being obsessed, just informed :)

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Nah...I ain't obsessed!

I LOVE this stuff! I feel better physically and mentally when I eat good all day long, and hit it hard at the gym. My outlook on life is better, I feel better, I AM better. How can it be an obsession to better myself physically and mentally...its called caring for yourself. I wish more people would take notice, and take care of themselves...oh wait, maybe not. Its fun standing out in a crowd! :veryhappy:

I'm sure you all get the same crap as I do. The cool part is I now have a girl who feels the same way I do...and is not only right there by my side cooking the same meals I am, but is by my side at 4:30am when we hit the gym too! My family is catching on (only took 15 years) and doesn't expect me to eat junk anymore or take offense anymore. Just lots of good conversations about taking care of myself...and it finally sunk in. My friends still don't get it though...

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Obsession is what lazy people call dedication. /thread.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established

— Mark Twain

I agree with this. I want to look good but I'm not willing to sacrifice the fun I have going out a few times a week and having a night on the town, nor am I willing to give up the foods I enjoy eating. I just eat smaller portions, I find I'm good as long as I eat till satisfied and don't overdo it. I've got no problems eating half and going for leftovers the next day! What I am obsessive about is making sure I get my butt in the gym at least 3 times a week and pushing some weight and doing some cardio. I work a desk job and looking around at my coworkers who never exercise is extra motivating.

Like you said, everyone finds their balance and everyone is different, I don't think too much about it... except when I'm on AnabolicMinds!

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
If anyone has seen the documentary on steriods called bigger, faster, stronger, greg valentino said he had the small guy complex. He couldn't grow taller so he grew wider. We all know about the story of his arms "exploding". He obviously had a image issue and terribly low self esteem. He became obsessed with how he looked and that's all that mattered to him. This can happen to a lot of guys. Just like girls open up cosmo and and think they need to look like that girl us guys open up muscle and fitness and think that's what we need to look like. The important thing is that we are happy with who we are on the inside. Comfortable and confident in our own skin. When we are not we can go to the extremes. Got a friends dad that constantly puts her down about how she's not thin enough or her husband is not muscular enough but her dad's been on roids all his life and is divorced, has a girlfriend half his age. Looks is all he thinks about.
people who are constantly obsessed with how they look, and only judge people or themselves by looks, defnitely have security issues. Most are insecure with their own selves or something has happened to them a long the way to make them that way. either they got picked on at shool for being ugly/small/short/skinny/fat... etc... or they just didn't get enough love at home.. IMO ---

but there is NOTHING wrong with loving to lift because it makes you feel good, or working yours ass off until you faint, just to feel alive and sore the next morning, and feel like you accomplished something, and had a successful day. Eating Healthy, Exercising, Staying clear of stress, being HAPPY is a choice that I make everyday -- in the wellness world there is no stand still, you are either moving towards wellness or away from it every second of the day. If you make good decisions more times than you don't then you will be fine..... It shouldn't be an obsession, just a lifestyle... This is just my thoughts, everybody has their own take on it, and to each their own, im just happy there are other people who think like me, and act like me... thats why I love it here at AM :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 2
Training Forum 8