Post W/O carb?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.72%

Post W/O carb?

I've been throwing some oats in my morning and post workout shakes (because its CHEAP carbs), is this an acceptable PWO carb, or should I be spending the money on expensive carb powders?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%

in my situation general rule of thumb is cheaper=9 times out of 10 better. But thats me, a broke college kid. I got my oats, and some bread with some jam, no sugar added natty jam works well for me. I dont see the big different between that and carb powders besides powders are easier and faster if on the go
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Xpballer View Post
    I've been throwing some oats in my morning and post workout shakes (because its CHEAP carbs), is this an acceptable PWO carb, or should I be spending the money on expensive carb powders?
    Keep up what you are doing. Carb powders are basically junk food.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

I used to love using dextrose post workout. I switched to eating a banana instead of adding dextrose to my post workout shake and noticed no decreases in size or stregnth. It saves me money and I am less bloated. Oats are a great idea and adding a banana to it may not hurt.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

dextrose and maltodextrin are great for during the workout, when you cant really eat a banana but want to boost insulin. in terms of post workout, unles you are an athlete thats concerned with full glycogen then you can digest any carbs really. if you want to replenish glycogen faster just switch to higher glycemic carbs, in case of food watermelon and dates are really good. I dont think there is much of a difference though if you just do oats.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    dextrose and maltodextrin are great for during the workout, when you cant really eat a banana but want to boost insulin. in terms of post workout, unles you are an athlete thats concerned with full glycogen then you can digest any carbs really. if you want to replenish glycogen faster just switch to higher glycemic carbs, in case of food watermelon and dates are really good. I dont think there is much of a difference though if you just do oats.
    A banana works just fine. I've used dextrose and maltodextrin for several years and always swore by it. About 3 months ago when I got rid of it and switch to bananas and whey it showed no difference. It may not work for everyone, but it def. works for some. I know others who also do the same. I have spoke with several bodybuilders who would also agree dextrose and maltodextrin is not always the way to go. I think leaning towards whole foods is def. the better way for your body.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.17%
    Achievements Posting Pro

As mentioned prior, I use a banana and 1/2 cup oats in my WPI post workout shake. Works for me and is whole foods. No proprietary blend there.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.02%

stick with oats.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.72%

mmmmm.... I think when i start bulking my morning and P/WO shakes are gonna have oats protein a banana and some peanut butter
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.03%

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    A banana works just fine. I've used dextrose and maltodextrin for several years and always swore by it. About 3 months ago when I got rid of it and switch to bananas and whey it showed no difference. It may not work for everyone, but it def. works for some. I know others who also do the same. I have spoke with several bodybuilders who would also agree dextrose and maltodextrin is not always the way to go. I think leaning towards whole foods is def. the better way for your body.
    absolutely whole foods are much better. its just that you cant eat a banana in a middle of a 1.5 hour aerobic/anaerobic workout. for athletes training over an hour it has been studied and documented that simple carbs (dex/malt) will replenish glycogen and fuel workouts. banana and oats are a perfect pre workout fuel, low GI and not too high on sugar. for postworkout whole foods will work, its just a matter of stuffing it down which for me is difficult right after lift/training.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.53%
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.03%

Quote Originally Posted by rush808 View Post
    yea its pretty good article, there is a good arguement on both sides. note that the author disclaims in the beginning: "Please note that this advice does not apply to a higher carb diet like the 40/30/30 Glycemic Load approach. For that diet, work out the amount of post-workout carbs needed and stick to it."

in other words yea in a keto diet you wanna exclude carbs to make your body rely on protein and fat for fuel. unles you are running a fat loss diet then that article is useless. I am very active and I do martial arts so I need to have carbs throughout the day to keep me going, including postworkout. The article is actually useless because if you were doing a ketogenic diet you would already know to exclude carbs.
  13. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I can't begin to describe how lame I think that is...
  14. Better Body Sports
    Stats
    6'0"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.42%

OATS and Sweet potatos 1 hour post workout for dinner
    When I'm in a hurry I take WMS, waxy maize starch,
    only 27bucks for a 66 serving tub by BBS, Just sayin, but oats Are Awesome anytime, especially with PB
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlean View Post
    OATS and Sweet potatos 1 hour post workout for dinner
    When I'm in a hurry I take WMS, waxy maize starch,
    only 27bucks for a 66 serving tub by BBS, Just sayin, but oats Are Awesome anytime, especially with PB
    I am assuming you at least have a post workout shake immediately following your workout.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.02%

I am assuming you at least have a post workout shake immediately following your workout.
    i don't really any more.
    i pop an AP right after my work out and have a full meal 20-30 minutes later...and have seen no less results.
    I think the "window" is way too played out and is just for supp companies to sell their proteins and synthetic carbs.

look at lumber jacks, they do heavy stuff all day long and only eat 3 meals, and probably dont slam protein and wms right after work, and they are still huge.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.03%

Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    i don't really any more.
    i pop an AP right after my work out and have a full meal 20-30 minutes later...and have seen no less results.
    I think the "window" is way too played out and is just for supp companies to sell their proteins and synthetic carbs.

look at lumber jacks, they do heavy stuff all day long and only eat 3 meals, and probably dont slam protein and wms right after work, and they are still huge.
    you should look into all the intricate mechanisms that go on inside your body. first of all your metabolism during and post workout is complete opposite of your sedetary metabolism. this means higher and faster rates of protein absorbtion, greater free testosterone release.. a complete anabolic state. having said that, the body looks at exercise as extreme stress and shoots the cortisol levels up. drinking whey + carbs helps to smooth this process out during its most extreme stages ("the window"). keep in mind that food takes at least 2 hours to hit your blood stream. Waxy maize might be a product of marketing hype, but the old school whey+carbs combo has been a must have for a long time.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    i don't really any more.

I understand you have seen no less results, but have you seen anymore more results? Most lumberjacks are genetically big people and during their three meals they eat like monsters. You will probably see no less results, but if you want to see more results a post workout shake would be a good way to start.
  19. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    keep in mind that food takes at least 2 hours to hit your blood stream.
    This just is not true. From something like oatmeal I start seeing increases on the blood glucose meter in about 10 minutes. Glucose/dextrose in about 5 minutes.

The difference in total digestion time for the whole meal will be more significant but that would get into a rate matching discussion which is something different. The whole notion that we must consume high GI carbs PWO is totally overblown. Probably so for supp companies to sell the crap - hard to get rich selling oatmeal and bananas.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.02%

I understand you have seen no less results, but have you seen anymore more results? Most lumberjacks are genetically big people and during their three meals they eat like monsters. You will probably see no less results, but if you want to see more results a post workout shake would be a good way to start.
    i had a post workout shake for 3 years. no different results.
    i now only use shakes for breakfast and pre bed...sometimes on the go if i can't get a real meal.

low gi carbs and a postworkout meal work just fine. especially with anabolic pump before the meal.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    This just is not true. From something like oatmeal I start seeing increases on the blood glucose meter in about 10 minutes. Glucose/dextrose in about 5 minutes.

The difference in total digestion time for the whole meal will be more significant but that would get into a rate matching discussion which is something different. The whole notion that we must consume high GI carbs PWO is totally overblown. Probably so for supp companies to sell the crap - hard to get rich selling oatmeal and bananas.
    I was talking about the protein shake more than anything, it would take a lot longer for a whole food protein to digest during the postworkout window in comparison to whey.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.72%

Protein shakes are your friend!
  23. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.54%

How about some berries? Get some anti-oxidants as well. Our Primordial nutritionist takes in a chicken breast and about a cup of raspberries post workout. Just sayin....
  24. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.54%

You guys might not like this, but it's legit:

We’ve all heard that growth hormone (GH) does a ton of great stuff for our bodies including burning body fat, increasing protein synthesis, increasing nitrogen retention, and decreasing protein catabolism. (1) This means more muscle, less fat, and a happier, healthier, sexier you. So how can we maximize the effects and release of growth hormone we get in response to strenuous exercise?

Keep your post workout carbohydrate levels in check.

When we exercise, blood glucose and insulin levels decrease, and GH levels increase. GH levelscan remain this way for an hour or more. (2) However, as soon as blood glucose and insulin levels rise, GH levels will drop back down, as insulin acts to suppress GH secretion. (3) Keeping carbohydrate intake to a minimum after exercise will keep blood glucose and insulin levels down and GH up for a longer period of time.

How do you boost GH levels and keep it elevated after a workout? Consider protein instead of carbs for your post workout nutrition!

Carbohydrates negatively effects Growth Hormone
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post

We’ve all heard that growth hormone (GH) does a ton of great stuff for our bodies including burning body fat, increasing protein synthesis, increasing nitrogen retention, and decreasing protein catabolism. (1) This means more muscle, less fat, and a happier, healthier, sexier you. So how can we maximize the effects and release of growth hormone we get in response to strenuous exercise?

When we exercise, blood glucose and insulin levels decrease, and GH levels increase. GH levelscan remain this way for an hour or more. (2) However, as soon as blood glucose and insulin levels rise, GH levels will drop back down, as insulin acts to suppress GH secretion. (3) Keeping carbohydrate intake to a minimum after exercise will keep blood glucose and insulin levels down and GH up for a longer period of time.

How do you boost GH levels and keep it elevated after a workout? Consider protein instead of carbs for your post workout nutrition!

More micromanagement at the expense of the big picture?
  26. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    More micromanagement at the expense of the big picture?
    Pretty much
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post

I have read and heard similar studies. The only thing is the difficulty deciding whether immediate post supplement for recovery is more important than keeping the gh levels high. I prefer immediate post supplement containing carbs/protein and hope for the best with the gh.

I have seen some studies that say wait 30 minutes after your workout before consuming your post workout shake, thus keeping gh levels high.
  28. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.54%

I have read and heard similar studies. The only thing is the difficulty deciding whether immediate post supplement for recovery is more important than keeping the gh levels high. I prefer immediate post supplement containing carbs/protein and hope for the best with the gh.

I have seen some studies that say wait 30 minutes after your workout before consuming your post workout shake, thus keeping gh levels high.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm in a similar state of mind on the issue myself.

Similar Forum Threads

1. post workout carb
    By ecupirate in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
  2. Best carb source post workout
    By tshaw024 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
  3. WHAT IS THE BEST CARB FOR A POST WORKOUT SHAKE?
    By dizdabiz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
  4. WHAT IS THE BEST CARB FOR A POST WORKOUT SHAKE?
    By dizdabiz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 02:42 AM
  5. Post workout, low-GI carb sources?
    By Alt+F4 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 01:41 PM