The truth about how much protein you really need.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    He mentioned it was in his opinion. Mine as well, screw studies.

From 17-26 I tried 3 square and then from 27ish until now (36) I've done 5-6 a day and this has been without a doubt overall better in every aspect for me than when I was younger. The only POSSIBLE downer is time consumption.
    I never did well with more meals, I would have a hard time off season eating disciplined and the extra meals just made me gain more fat. I have had much more success with 4 larger meals. I believe this may be better for endo types but I too have not seen studies. It works way better for me so that's all I need to know. I believe USPLabs is releasing some studies that will back up the 4 meal plan for fat loss but I have not seen it yet.
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

2. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post

From 17-26 I tried 3 square and then from 27ish until now (36) I've done 5-6 a day and this has been without a doubt overall better in every aspect for me than when I was younger. The only POSSIBLE downer is time consumption.
    And what were the total calories of the various regimens? Total food intake over time is what is most important. If by adding more meals you added more calories then you have multiple variables changing and you cannot conclude that one change was more effective than the other.
    •   

3. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post

And I'm sure other parts of your training, mental state, etc were different over each of those decades as well, even just your mental maturity. Nice to dismiss science and all , but no scientific studies that removed other variables or included a large enough group to minimize effect of variation have shown any significant difference.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

4. In the human body, in nutrition, in training, hardly anything is absolute.

There are several points regarding the human body and its responses to nutrition and exercise that are just pointless to argue. This thread is full of them.

5. i tend to grow off rice and oatmeal. if my carbs arent there i cant push any weight around. ive played with protein levels but they dont seem to make any size or strength differences for me.
    •   

6. if your goal is to build muscle then obviously protein synthesis is important but tbh I think the majority of us consume more than we need, the fact is you can only synthesis about 20g per meal anyway so having bucket loads is no good.

7. Ill also add that maybe copious amounts of protein can be a bad thing?? cant be good for the liver..

8. I would personally find it very difficult to not eat at least 1gm per lb of protein. If you eat four meal that would be less than 50gm at each meal for anyone under 200lb. I guess if you were to eat a ton of oatmeal, rice, and sweet potatoes you may not get there. But I can't imagine eating that many carbs unless you were ecto or seriously bulking. Keep in mind that high quantities of rice and potatoes also have a decent amount of protein. And although not a perfect amino acid profile, yes these gms do "count"

9. Quote Originally Posted by mumbles12 View Post
    if your goal is to build muscle then obviously protein synthesis is important but tbh I think the majority of us consume more than we need, the fact is you can only synthesis about 20g per meal anyway so having bucket loads is no good.
    So much BS with this statement. There is zero evidence that suggests any of these maximum usage statements that are erroneously purported.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. Quote Originally Posted by mumbles12
    if your goal is to build muscle then obviously protein synthesis is important but tbh I think the majority of us consume more than we need, the fact is you can only synthesis about 20g per meal anyway so having bucket loads is no good.
    Ohhh...is that so? So out of the 220 g I eat in 3 meals I'm only using 60 of it? Damn...looks like a lot of people are doing it all wrong...glad you're here to give us all the "facts".
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Truth
    By iron addict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM
  2. just the truth!
    By brizspot in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
  3. The Truth?
    By footster in forum Anabolics