Back 2 Da Basics!!!!!!!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Back 2 Da Basics!!!!!!!

I used to obsess over getting certain macro's and supplements at certain times. I had really good results. I had a pre,intra, and post workout shakes. I was religious. I also spent lots of money on supplements and stressed over it waaaay too much.

I see so much crap on these boards. People who over analyze things that probably don't matter, especially for the average guy who just wants to stay in shape and look good.

What are some peoples thoughts on this? I think whole foods are always better. Protein powder is more of a convenience thing. I just think people need to just take it down a few notches and stick to what we know works, eating big and training big.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

100% agreed im a guy aswell whose just trying to stay in good shape, i feel for the competitive bodybuilder the macros and all the details hold true to gain that edge over the others but for us average guys i feel all you need is whole foods with a stash of protein for when you cant get enough from whole foods that day and basics like Creatine, BCAA's nothing fancy just proven stuff. Why put more in your body then you need.
  3. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I used to obsess over getting certain macro's and supplements at certain times. I had really good results. I had a pre,intra, and post workout shakes. I was religious. I also spent lots of money on supplements and stressed over it waaaay too much.

I see so much crap on these boards. People who over analyze things that probably don't matter, especially for the average guy who just wants to stay in shape and look good.

What are some peoples thoughts on this? I think whole foods are always better. Protein powder is more of a convenience thing. I just think people need to just take it down a few notches and stick to what we know works, eating big and training big.
    Grats bro, you are what I call a survivor.

Building strength and LBM is dependent on the big picture yet so many focus on micromanaging insignificant details and can't see the forest from the trees. You're right, we need enough calories (from somewhat balanced macros) and a good adaptation stimulus. Worry about those two things and let your body micromanage its metabolism...

The problem is that human mind plays tricks on us. We convince ourselves that we can gain an edge by doing silly things like juggling macros or buying overhyped/undertested supplements. I found that it wasn't until I was older that I could personally admit to buying into all the BS and start disregarding it.

Props for the post.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

My thoughts exactly, I never count calories or grams of protein or carbs. Ive always stayed in awesome shape just eating plenty of good food throughout the day, and Ive even been able to gain muscle when I want to by just adding a little more food..not bothering with any numbers. I feel like everyone's body is set up a different way as it is, so formulas and numbers could be relevant or could be completely wrong. For example NO supplements and L-arganine, there is research showing absolutely no chance of L-arganine actually doing what supps claim it does unles taken in huge amounts. I stick to the basics as well: vitamins, fishoil, PWO carbs, whey.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Grats bro, you are what I call a survivor.

Building strength and LBM is dependent on the big picture yet so many focus on micromanaging insignificant details and can't see the forest from the trees. You're right, we need enough calories (from somewhat balanced macros) and a good adaptation stimulus. Worry about those two things and let your body micromanage its metabolism...

The problem is that human mind plays tricks on us. We convince ourselves that we can gain an edge by doing silly things like juggling macros or buying overhyped/undertested supplements. I found that it wasn't until I was older that I could personally admit to buying into all the BS and start disregarding it.

Props for the post.
    Thanks man. It is quite crazy looking back on it. If I didn't get my post workout shake immediately after a workout or missed a meal by 3 hours I could feel muscle just disintegrating in my mind. Crazy stuff like that.

It sure is amazing how the marketing works. I remember when I started working out at 18, I would walk into GNC and just see all these fancy bottles that were all sparkly. I just knew that what ever was in that bottle was the key to a perfect physique. Besides, it was $80 so it must be good.

Which got me thinking....we have all seen those sculptures of Greek athletes. That could arguably be the ideal physique. I highly doubt they ate every 3 hours and took No-xplode.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

I'm just now getting to the point where I realize so much shyt is just that,.. shyt. I mean, I can so identify with believing I'm wasting away to nothing if I don't take this or that at a certain time. Don't get me wrong, there are certain windows of time that are optimal for certain things. Fuzz, you hit the nail on the head.
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.

to put it simple
    i saw this quote in someone's sig on the forums that went something like this...
    "Obsession and perfectionism leads to procrastination and wasted years."
    i think it really applies to everything, but mainly this subject.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    I'm just now getting to the point where I realize so much shyt is just that,.. shyt. I mean, I can so identify with believing I'm wasting away to nothing if I don't take this or that at a certain time. Don't get me wrong, there are certain windows of time that are optimal for certain things. Fuzz, you hit the nail on the head.
    Exactly i feel the time we need to focus on is that window around the workout other then that eat healthy but its not as crucial as some people think. I mean i may be wrong but i feel with my own body the difference between being on a supplement and being off is so minimal that its not worth the money most of the time i mean things that are proven i will go for but im done with untested unproven supps im done wasting cash. So when im dialed in completley on my diet and proper nutrtion say its like 3% more gains then if i wasnt i just dont feel like wasting the cash for a little more gains. I dont even really understand what i just said but i hope it gets point across.
  9. Registered User

Great thread .. Im sure many guys have been there
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

I think the same thing can be said when it comes to training. I was guilty of that one too, trying to put together the best split, spending hours on just biceps, shoulders etc. completely neglected my cardio, stretching and I never got the body I wanted. About a year ago I overhauled, brought the training back caveman style - high intensity super sets focused mostly on bodyweight stuff. Push up, pull ups, squats, dips and lots of medicine ball work, with and little bit of dumbell stuff for arms or to add weight for some legs. My body changed 100% for the better, my posture improved, my endurance went through the rough and my muscles got hard and defined for the first time. I can't even remember the last time I used a barbell bench or did a dumbell fly. I think if a lot of people took a step back from figuring out how to put together a massive chest workout and hit the deck, blasted the whole body for 40 minutes they would get the results they're trying so hard for.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    I think the same thing can be said when it comes to training. I was guilty of that one too, trying to put together the best split, spending hours on just biceps, shoulders etc. completely neglected my cardio, stretching and I never got the body I wanted. About a year ago I overhauled, brought the training back caveman style - high intensity super sets focused mostly on bodyweight stuff. Push up, pull ups, squats, dips and lots of medicine ball work, with and little bit of dumbell stuff for arms or to add weight for some legs. My body changed 100% for the better, my posture improved, my endurance went through the rough and my muscles got hard and defined for the first time. I can't even remember the last time I used a barbell bench or did a dumbell fly. I think if a lot of people took a step back from figuring out how to put together a massive chest workout and hit the deck, blasted the whole body for 40 minutes they would get the results they're trying so hard for.
    Yeah for sure! It really applies to everything. I usually try to focus on movements that I would do in real life, such as dead lifting or squatting. That is how the body was built to work, all in unison. I feel bad for the skinny guys doing dumbbell curls till their arms fall off. The bicep is meant to assist the back. How many times in the real world do you "curl" something, strictly isolating your biceps. I don't even know why I do abs anymore. I get a better ab workout doing squats than crunches.
  12. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot903 View Post
    Exactly i feel the time we need to focus on is that window around the workout
    actually even that is a bunch of crap. look at digestion rates for whole foods. if you have a steak and eggs 1 hour preworkout, its still digesting 3-4 hours later. and there has never been significant scientific proof that there is an actual window.

basically eat solid foods when you are hungry, if you have to have a meal that is low on proteins drink a shake or skim milk with it and don't worry about all the little stuff unless you are 12 weeks or less out from a competition.

Remember that as your body "breaks down damaged muscle" it puts the amino acids back in circulation in your bloodstream where (gasp) a significant amount of those amino acids can be used to build new muscle....

training wise, i'm making better gains following a low volume high intensity workout with 1 exercise per body part (DC style) than I did on anything else. I stop making strength gains on a specific exercise then I just shift to another exercise for that body part. nothing complex, times i'm in + out of the gym in under 45 min.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    actually even that is a bunch of crap. look at digestion rates for whole foods. if you have a steak and eggs 1 hour preworkout, its still digesting 3-4 hours later. and there has never been significant scientific proof that there is an actual window.

basically eat solid foods when you are hungry, if you have to have a meal that is low on proteins drink a shake or skim milk with it and don't worry about all the little stuff unless you are 12 weeks or less out from a competition.

Remember that as your body "breaks down damaged muscle" it puts the amino acids back in circulation in your bloodstream where (gasp) a significant amount of those amino acids can be used to build new muscle....

training wise, i'm making better gains following a low volume high intensity workout with 1 exercise per body part (DC style) than I did on anything else. I stop making strength gains on a specific exercise then I just shift to another exercise for that body part. nothing complex, times i'm in + out of the gym in under 45 min.
    More truth is spoken! I think what it comes down to that even if obsessing about post-workout windows and perfecting training was optimal, that is no way to live! I think everybody who works out has done this at some point or another with training or diet. Let the revolution begin!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

dude i was actually thinking the same thing today before i even read this post.....its so true! Simplicity is way more enjoyable. Lift your nads off, then eat good clean foods. So many suppliments are crap. Waste of money and everybody feeds into the marketing hype.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Getting back to basics... Need help.
    By myrddin in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
  2. Back to the BASICS!!!!
    By Machwon1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
  3. Back to the Basics Hypertrophy Help
    By Doug8796 in forum Training Forum