carbs before bed?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Grambo View Post
    The thing with carbohydrates is the insulin actions when ingesting them. Taking in sugar and processed wheat would lead to large spike just before bed and with no activity other than normal BMR (which is obviously not equal through out the day and lowers at night) there is a higher probability of storage vs use, especially if you have exceeded caloric intake for the day already.
    Hmm where to start.

    The importance of insulin response control in bodyweight management it is very overrated. Insulin action is much more complicated than what the bb nutrition gurus have led people to believe (btw I am diabetic and I use the stuff 6x per day).

    Eating carbs does not lead to an insulin 'spike.' I need to take 1 unit for an apple and 2-3 for a 3 egg and cheese omelette (no carbs). Which one do you call a spike? It is not a yes or no condition. It is quantitative with the main factor being how much actual food is consumed. However, since people have no practical way to measure their insulin levels they have no choice but to buy into this oversimplification that any quantity of carb will spike insulin and those spikes cause fat gain. It's caca.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Hmm where to start.

    The importance of insulin response control in bodyweight management it is very overrated. Insulin action is much more complicated than what the bb nutrition gurus have led people to believe (btw I am diabetic and I use the stuff 6x per day).

    Eating carbs does not lead to an insulin 'spike.' I need to take 1 unit for an apple and 2-3 for a 3 egg and cheese omelette (no carbs). Which one do you call a spike? It is not a yes or no condition. It is quantitative with the main factor being how much actual food is consumed. However, since people have no practical way to measure their insulin levels they have no choice but to buy into this oversimplification that any quantity of carb will spike insulin and those spikes cause fat gain. It's caca.

    Pull back the attitude just a little there. You are correct that insulin is more than just spikes and something that makes you fat and is not as simple as it may be played out to be.

    Eating any type of food leads to a rise in insulin (better sounding than a spike?) when blood glucose levels rise. Carbohydrates alone have a higher increase than other macros.

    Blood glucose levels rise the most with high amounts of simple sugars, thus a higher amount of insulin needed to reduce levels. When glucose has been shuttled to needed areas of the body (brain, muscle and liver glycogen, etc) and there is an abundance it definitely gets stored. I don't think anyone was stating that eating any type of carb makes you fat.

    Are you saying that the type of food doesn't matter? (just trying to see exactly what you are saying).
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
    •   
       


  3. I don't eat carbs before going to bed but I do have carbs 3 hours before going to bed. (My last meal before cottage cheese.)

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Grambo View Post
    Pull back the attitude just a little there. You are correct that insulin is more than just spikes and something that makes you fat and is not as simple as it may be played out to be.

    Eating any type of food leads to a rise in insulin (better sounding than a spike?) when blood glucose levels rise. Carbohydrates alone have a higher increase than other macros.

    Blood glucose levels rise the most with high amounts of simple sugars, thus a higher amount of insulin needed to reduce levels. When glucose has been shuttled to needed areas of the body (brain, muscle and liver glycogen, etc) and there is an abundance it definitely gets stored. I don't think anyone was stating that eating any type of carb makes you fat.

    Are you saying that the type of food doesn't matter? (just trying to see exactly what you are saying).
    No attitude meant just trying to be efficient and stating my views with a little conviction because I have found it otherwise futile to go against the establishment.

    You are correct that calorie for calorie, carbs require the most insulin to metabolize. The error comes when people compare the resulting insulin levels from different macros on an equal basis. For example 100 cals of carbs will boost insulin more than 100 cals of fat but that does not mean that more of the carb meal will be converted to fat. Both are still 100 calories - no more no less (law of conservation of energy). In fact, carbs can be stored first as glycogen and then whatever is left will go to fat. Fat on the other hand cannot be converted to glycogen thus it is less versatile. What fat does have going for it is that it is more gradually absorbed. However total calorie content should be the first and foremost consideration.

    I am not saying that food type doesn't matter because that would be another absolute that is open to misinterpretation. What I am saying is that if you have your calories in check and if you are eating relatively whole food (as in not a cup of dextrose) then one does not have to be so obsessive as to exclude certain macros from certain meals or periods of the day. If I have 500 cals left in my daily meal plan, I think nothing of have them as a 30P/40C/30F meal before bed.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Hmm where to start.

    The importance of insulin response control in bodyweight management it is very overrated. Insulin action is much more complicated than what the bb nutrition gurus have led people to believe (btw I am diabetic and I use the stuff 6x per day).

    Eating carbs does not lead to an insulin 'spike.' I need to take 1 unit for an apple and 2-3 for a 3 egg and cheese omelette (no carbs). Which one do you call a spike? It is not a yes or no condition. It is quantitative with the main factor being how much actual food is consumed. However, since people have no practical way to measure their insulin levels they have no choice but to buy into this oversimplification that any quantity of carb will spike insulin and those spikes cause fat gain. It's caca.
    Makes sense "insulin spike" are just other buzz words that marketers can use on people. I say the rise and fall of insulin is no different than the sun going up and down.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Makes sense "insulin spike" are just other buzz words that marketers can use on people. I say the rise and fall of insulin is no different than the sun going up and down.
    It's called that more often than not because of how a graph looks from measurements of blood glucose. Sometimes it's more like a plateau or slow rise and fall depending on the macros and amounts.

    Not sure what you mean with the sun analogy ha
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Carbs before bed?
    By jmma062803 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
  2. Carbs before bed?
    By CarterMalone in forum Bulking
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 01:00 PM
  3. Carbs before bed??
    By chainsaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  4. carbs before bed?
    By canadian champ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 08:15 AM
  5. Carbs before bed
    By Jag in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Log in
Log in