Not getting great results on this diet. WDYT?

pbrocky

Awards
Hey, I have been working out for several years but because I was younger I could eat what I wanted. Nowadays that is not the case (now 29) so I am watching my diet. But I am not getting the gains I am used to seeing. Assume this is because calories are too low, but I thought this diet would be OK.

Please let me know what you would add or take out of this:

7am: Wholewheat toast with sardines x 2. Protein shake (Muscle milk). 1 serving of fat free yogurt. L-Glutamine, BCAA, Animal pack, Fish oil.
8:30: Work out
10:00: L-Glutamine, protein shake. Water
1:30: Wholewheat roll. Lettus, tomato, pepper-jack cheese, grilled chicken. Protein shake. Water.
5:00: Can of tuna and tobasco sauce. Protein shake.
8:30: usually chicken, but sometimes red meat with marinade. Over green salad. Water.
11:00: Protein shake, L-Glutamine, ZMA.

Thanks!!!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
How many calories and protein etc is it per day?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
not seeing many fat. how many oz are you servings?

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Less protein shakes more whole food. Beef, tuna, and eggs should replace your shakes whenever convenient. You could replace your water with milk, its the cheap easy way to get more calories when you're thirsty.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Less protein shakes more whole food. Beef, tuna, and eggs should replace your shakes whenever convenient. You could replace your water with milk, its the cheap easy way to get more calories when you're thirsty.
skip the milk, not needed at all IMO just sugar

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Like everyone else said. Cut out the protein shakes if possible. Shakes are convenient. They are also SUPPLEMENTS which should supplement the diet when whole food is not available.

Where is the fat? Fat is an essential part of a diet, especially a bodybuilding one. Not just the poly's and mono's. Get your saturated too!! Butter, lard, tallow, cream, eggs! It's all good! (Except trans of course.) Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does.

Just bread? Try different more nutrient dense carb sources such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, barley, oatmeal, and FRUIT!

The best diets are based on whole, real food.

pbrocky

Awards
Thanks for the advice.
I have switched to milk with the morning and night shakes. Added cheese and also added potato for dinner. Also adding wholewheat pasta for dinner.

I have about 16% body fat so I was trying to keep the fat and carbs down and the protein up. But sounds like that is not the way to go. I am 240 lbs so am shooting for 240g of protein.

How much fat should I be taking in?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice.
I have switched to milk with the morning and night shakes. Added cheese and also added potato for dinner. Also adding wholewheat pasta for dinner.

I have about 16% body fat so I was trying to keep the fat and carbs down and the protein up. But sounds like that is not the way to go. I am 240 lbs so am shooting for 240g of protein.

How much fat should I be taking in?
Just eat a little bit of fat with each meal. Or lots of fat! Don't worry about hitting 240 exactly. Just eat a solid protein source every meal.