negative affects of meat

keater824

keater824

Awards
I am trying to get abs but also trying to add 5-10 pounds of muscle before Christmas.. i usually eat around a pound of meat/poultry daily... for instance i will eat roughtly 4-5 pounds of grilled chicken a week 8oz per serving x 2 daily x 4 days a week... 8oz -10oz of 93% chopped meat x 2 daily x 3 days a week... i was just wondering if i am overdosing on the meat espically on the red meat i am 18 and a cholesterol level of 151... Is this meat intake too much? Any possible health problems?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to get abs but also trying to add 5-10 pounds of muscle before Christmas.. i usually eat around a pound of meat/poultry daily... for instance i will eat roughtly 4-5 pounds of grilled chicken a week 8oz per serving x 2 daily x 4 days a week... 8oz -10oz of 93% chopped meat x 2 daily x 3 days a week... i was just wondering if i am overdosing on the meat espically on the red meat i am 18 and a cholesterol level of 151... Is this meat intake too much? Any possible health problems?
IMHO...nope, you are not overdoing the meat. Sounds about right to me.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Are you eat something else besides the meat? Then no, you're fine. If that's all you're eating. Defiantly! I assume you are eating more than that though.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep red meat lean and there should be no real problems. Your cholesterol levels are fine at 150 (really would need to see the breakdown of HDL/LDL to know for sure). There is very little to no cholesterol in chicken. Also eating cholesterol doesn't actually increase endogenous cholesterol.

Cholesterol also is needed to synthesize some good hormones (Androgens, including testosterone, Vitamin D etc) so don't demonize it too much.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Keep red meat lean and there should be no real problems. Your cholesterol levels are fine at 150 (really would need to see the breakdown of HDL/LDL to know for sure). There is very little to no cholesterol in chicken. Also eating cholesterol doesn't actually increase endogenous cholesterol.

Cholesterol also is needed to synthesize some good hormones (Androgens, including testosterone, Vitamin D etc) so don't demonize it too much.
Yeah! Right on! That is exactly true. Low good cholesterol is worse than high bad cholesterol. Foods like eggs raise good and bad. Which is good. Cholesterol is not the bad guy.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just make sure you are drinking plenty of water and youre good.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
I eat a lot of red meat now as well. I got sick of chicken and eat wholly fish and red meat. I occassionaly get fattier red meat. My favorite dinner dish is ground round or chuck with brown or white rice with a salad of spinach, carrots, garlic, basil, and celery. I'm hungry now haha

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
And produce to help digest it all.
Yes fiber is key. You could also get ground turkey or ground chicken and make burgers with it, which provides a much different taste than cutlets or cold cuts. I have an awesome recipe I'll dig up and post later.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
No, Meat is great. Excellent source of protein and very nutritionally dense but you wanna keep the meats lean to avoid excess fat. Also help out the digestion by eating vegetables with plenty of fiber when you eat them. Meats can be harsh on the digestive system. Don't ask a vegan this question ;)