Creatinine Clearance

4restgump

Awards
Has anyone experienced high levels of creatinine levels in blood work while supplementing with creatine, only to go down after stopping creatine use. I wish to know how long you were taking creatine and how much it went down. In addition what was the amount of time passed between stoping creatine use and your blood work.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
High creatinine excretion levels are going to go hand in hand with creatine supplementation. Personally I don't think its anything to be worried about... A percentage of the creatine you're ingesting is going to change to creatinine just by passing through the digestive system.

If you have a history of liver-kidney issues then i'd be cautious, but from what i've read creatine shouldn't be harmful in itself. A lot of the "organ damage" cases "caused" by creatine IMO are product adulteration (mostly heavy metals) by improper manufacturing procedures (mostly from oversea sources lacking poor quality control).

The science is still out on how safe long term supplementing is, but i've seen two recent studies, one with Div I football players, that have run up to ~3 years with no ill effects. Of course I'm remembering this off the top of my head so I could be mistaken. I also seen theories stating creatine supplementation increases kidney metabolite excretion rather then production, the higher markers being what scientists initially assumed was due to kidney stress.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
High creatinine excretion levels are going to go hand in hand with creatine supplementation. Personally I don't think its anything to be worried about... A percentage of the creatine you're ingesting is going to change to creatinine just by passing through the digestive system.

If you have a history of liver-kidney issues then i'd be cautious, but from what i've read creatine shouldn't be harmful in itself. A lot of the "organ damage" cases "caused" by creatine IMO are product adulteration (mostly heavy metals) by improper manufacturing procedures (mostly from oversea sources lacking poor quality control).

The science is still out on how safe long term supplementing is, but i've seen two recent studies, one with Div I football players, that have run up to ~3 years with no ill effects. Of course I'm remembering this off the top of my head so I could be mistaken. I also seen theories stating creatine supplementation increases kidney metabolite excretion rather then production, the higher markers being what scientists initially assumed was due to kidney stress.
^ in addition to this I would like to add, I have searched for any study proving creatinine is harmful in any way and have found nothing. Seems doctors only say its bad because thats what they test to see if your kidneys are working correctly. More creatine = more creatinine.

B

bbbeast

Awards
It's normal to have higher creatinine levels rather than normal people because of muscle proporotion. You have more muscles and those muscles stores more creatine thats why your levels are higher.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
stop the creatine two weeks before blood tests

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
It's normal to have higher creatinine levels rather than normal people because of muscle proporotion. You have more muscles and those muscles stores more creatine thats why your levels are higher.
In part this is correct. A bodybuilder would also have higher creatinine levels because of higher kidney function, (partially) diet, and metabolism.