favorite post workout carb

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
whats your favorite post work out carb........ anythign goes? lets hear it..... jsut for the record i love some kiddie cereal.......

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
i like white rice

NOM NOM NOM

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ocean's Spray cranberry juice

ATOM ONE

ATOM ONE

Awards
I THOUGHT FRUCTOSE WAS USELESS FOR REPLENISHING GLYCOGEN

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its gotta help somewhat jsut not as fast..... i combine liek smarties with a banana sumtimes..... mix of different types of carbs i like to do that

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
malto or dex, whatever i have, about 50gms in my post-WO protein shake, then 1-2 hours again later.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I THOUGHT FRUCTOSE WAS USELESS FOR REPLENISHING GLYCOGEN
yea the only difference is that fructose has to be processed through the liver, so 100% glucose is technically faster digesting

i like dex/malt myself

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
yea the only difference is that fructose has to be processed through the liver, so 100% glucose is technically faster digesting

i like dex/malt myself
I had a pretty intense discussion with seth roberts about fructose about a year ago... needless to say the guy knows his shtit. Hopefully I can remember this accurately

Anyways the liver is the only place fructose can be metabolized. However the conversion isn't directly fructose=glucose. Fructose must first be broken down into a cofactor. From this point, the cofactors can be synthesized into either glucose or non-essential fatty acids. Synthesis of TGL's from fructose has priority over glucose I believe. However I'm also pretty sure that these FA's have a negative impact on the blood lipid profile; and in the case of HFCS the insulogenic effects of glucose shuttle these triglycerides straight into fat cells.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I had a pretty intense discussion with seth roberts about fructose about a year ago... needless to say the guy knows his shtit. Hopefully I can remember this accurately

Anyways the liver is the only place fructose can be metabolized. However the conversion isn't directly fructose=glucose. Fructose must first be broken down into a cofactor. From this point, the cofactors can be synthesized into either glucose or non-essential fatty acids. Synthesis of TGL's from fructose has priority over glucose I believe. However I'm also pretty sure that these FA's have a negative impact on the blood lipid profile; and in the case of HFCS the insulogenic effects of glucose shuttle these triglycerides straight into fat cells.
So then if thats the case, whats the difference in terms of processing between HFCS and fructose from fruit? i would imagine that our bodies are designed to properly break down the fructose from fruit; some countries in warm climates base their diets mostly from fruit.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
So then if thats the case, whats the difference in terms of processing between HFCS and fructose from fruit? i would imagine that our bodies are designed to properly break down the fructose from fruit; some countries in warm climates base their diets mostly from fruit.
Scientifically, nothing. Contextually there is a bit of a difference. The naturally occurring fructose in fruits both in free form and di/poly saccharides aren't in nearly the concentrations compared to a can of soda sweetened with HFCS. Fructose isn't terrible by itself, it refills liver glycogen quite fast, but afterwhich it will almost principally be metabolized into triglycerides. Combine this with a sugar driven insulin spike and that's where problems begin.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so are u saying to avoid fruit post workout then?

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
i eat an apple immediately after my shake then some sweet potatoes after that

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
so are u saying to avoid fruit post workout then?
Quite the contrary, IMO you should just avoid concentrated sources of fructose, ie concentrated fruit juice, anything w/ HFCS.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
exactly HFCS sucks. thats why gatorade blows, its loaded with HFCS.

rocketman123

rocketman123

Awards
Waximaize fo sho! everything else i get so f-ing full (bloated) i cant eat for like 2 hrs ha

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fruits are part fructose part sucrose, glucose. A medium apple for example only has 2-3g of fructose, yet 20g carbs
The net carbs in apple is 50% fructose and 50% glucose. Which means in your exemple, the 20grms of carbs are as follow: 4g fiber, 8g glucose/glucose polymers, 8g fructose.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Pure Karbolyn>Waxy Maize
i just went and checked it out, sales pitch sounds good but $70 for 4.4 lbs???? if you are using this to carb up it will run you a fortune!!!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
honey hahaha

captgarrett

Awards
There's a fascinating video some where on these forums about HFCS. I've been terrified of the stuff since. The stuff really is the devil. The worst part is, it's in SO MUCH STUFF. I was on the Cereal isle tonight in Kroger, and I literally had to abandon the isle after 20 minutes of box reading. I went over to what I call the tree hugger organic food isle and went to town on that isle.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
There's a fascinating video some where on these forums about HFCS. I've been terrified of the stuff since. The stuff really is the devil. The worst part is, it's in SO MUCH STUFF. I was on the Cereal isle tonight in Kroger, and I literally had to abandon the isle after 20 minutes of box reading. I went over to what I call the tree hugger organic food isle and went to town on that isle.
oh thats the most delicious isle there is my brother, that and the fruit section

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
DAS F'D UP YO!! :shocked:

..but to each his own. i prefer Waxymaize in ma protein shake with 4-5 slices of the pepperage farm cinnamon & brown sugar bread...or some kiddie cereal

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dextrose is best right after workout...its D-glucose. Nothing crosses tissues/cell membranes faster.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Honey, and yes, it's very hard to find products that are not loaded with HFCS. I agree with captgarret and Anton, that Organic section is the way to go.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Banana. Used to love Dextrose, however, bananas have been working just fine.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Whatever is around, the regulars include:

Pretzels, Gummy worms, fat free chips, bagels ect...

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fat free chips thats a good one i might have to try that.... i love kidie cereal lol

captgarrett

Awards
Honey, and yes, it's very hard to find products that are not loaded with HFCS. I agree with captgarret and Anton, that Organic section is the way to go.
For years I use to the think the people shopping in this section were suckers for paying so much for half the food. Now I feel like the sucker for putting the crap into my body for so long. I should have been on this isle years ago. Half the food doesn't matter when eating responsibly is half of what I use to eat. This last 6 months has been quite and education for me in many ways.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
For years I use to the think the people shopping in this section were suckers for paying so much for half the food. Now I feel like the sucker for putting the crap into my body for so long. I should have been on this isle years ago. Half the food doesn't matter when eating responsibly is half of what I use to eat. This last 6 months has been quite and education for me in many ways.
Yeah today work bought breakfast and lunch for everyone.

McGriddles and Little Ceasars...............thanks but NO thanks.

I banned Mcdonalds from my diet 5 years ago after watching the film "Supersize Me". SRS.

So i had my brown rice with leftover filet mignon(10am) and Deer chili(1pm and 4pm)......

My postworkout varies....

Protein and
Oatmuscle by PF, GoldenGains, Oatmeal with honey, and the likes.
Somtimes just Pro Complex

:)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Yeah today work bought breakfast and lunch for everyone.

McGriddles and Little Ceasars...............thanks but NO thanks.

I banned Mcdonalds from my diet 5 years ago after watching the film "Supersize Me". SRS.

So i had my brown rice with leftover filet mignon(10am) and Deer chili(1pm and 4pm)......

My postworkout varies....

Protein and
Oatmuscle by PF, GoldenGains, Oatmeal with honey, and the likes.
Somtimes just Pro Complex

:)
bro you rejected mcgriddles on new years morning?? thats serious serious will power

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
bro you rejected mcgriddles on new years morning?? thats serious serious will power
I call it McDeath aka McPosion for a reason.

lol.

yeah. that garbage tastes good, but if i ban ya, its for life.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
they could not pay me to eat mcdonalds 3 years no fast food.and i do not miss it