Addicted to sugar

A

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what it is,but i can not for the life of me get my diet and taste buds trained. I will do great on my diet up until about thursday,then i am bingeing again all the way till sunday. I am not experiencing any types of unusual stress or depression because i know first hand that sometimes this can trigger the behavior.

I was a smoker for many years,chain smoker and i finally kicked the habit on 7/23/07 that was a big deal for me,but what is it with training your taste buds. I have never been able to stick with a diet no matter how simple,it is not a good thing.

I woke up this morning and asked myself "WTF is wrong with me"seriously. All the cardio and weight's and supps. cannot out exercise a poor diet,i realize this so what do i do. Some of you might read this and think what you will,but this isn't me looking for sympathy...i need help.

What is it about sugar that makes you keep coming back for more and more and more,that is the real crack right there forget about nicotine. A friend of mine told me to go get checked out for diabetes... I don't know. All i know is that if i don't get this under control eventually it will get me.

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Post up what your typical good diet is that you can stick to up till about Thursday. You might be going too far under calorie requirements and your body is craving extra carbs and calories. You might be able to adjust your daily intake and then not get the cravings so bad. I feel your pain though I have been through that cycle several times over the last 5-6 years.

You should step back and look at what you are doing to facilitate the bingeing and make some new choices. If you are gorging on food at home, throw it out and DON'T buy more. If you are gorging at restaurants, stop going for a while. In my case, I am a tech that drives a van all day. Would stop at gas stations and grab 3-4 Little Debbie cakes. Pure Evil. I had to force myself not to even stop and just go into restaurants to use the restroom in between jobs. So far this year, no trouble for me. I have been leaning out drastically since late spring using a Keto diet. Carbs less than 30g per day sunday-friday. Carb load free for all on saturday. I am able to satisfy my sweet tooth with whatever I want on sat so when I do get cravings, I start counting down the days all sat. Then sunday cars back to 30. Now I have to admit I have had some trouble keeping my carb day structured so I don't eat a ton of crap. I find the low carbs with high fat keeps hunger at bay during week.

Remember, you kicked chain smoking, so you can kick this too. It takes 21 days to form new habits so decide and determine you will go at least to 21 days. If you are married, make sure the wife is on board with the game plan.

A

airram479

Awards
  • Established
My usual diet up until Thursday is like this:
Meal 1: 1.5 cups of egg whites
Meal 2: ON Oats&Whey shake
Meal 3: 1 cup brown rice/1 chicken breast
Meal 4: On Oats&Whey shake
Meal 5: 1 cup brown rice/1 chicken breast
Meal 6: Post-workout/2 scoops whey,1 scoop oat flour

This is the run of my mill,probably the most boring diet ever,but when your at work for 11-12 hours a day it is all about simplicity.

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
no wonder you are having nasty cravings. Add all of that up to get how many calories, fat, carbs, and protein in your daily intake. You need more real food, and less shakes. I would replace all of the shakes except the post workout. You can make simple meals like rice and chicken, I would add a TBSP of EVOO to it to get a bit extra fat. You need more at breakfast, 3 whole eggs, plus some whites. Add some carbs to breakfast too. You need at least 2000 cals a day. You will be surprised how low your cals are when you add them up and put it on paper.

Also, what are you trying to acheive. Are you looking to trim some fat, just maintain and eat fairly healthy, or what? Your overall goal will determine how to tweak your diet, but regardless, if you eat more, it should help take care of the nasty cravings. You can still have a treat day, once a week, and preferably one meal a week until you get past the hard part and the cravings start to go away.