beef before bed?

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
lately ive been just getting hungry at night where a protein shake wil not do so i cook up so lean ground beef (97/3) with lots of onions to fill me up.. is that ok? currently on a lean bulk so trying to stay clean but man ive got an appetite lol! any opinions on this? Thanks everyone

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Go with cottage cheese OR whey isolate with natty PB, macadamia nut oil, or EVOO. I feel like it is best to stick with a leaner protein source at such a time and get your fats from a heart-healthy monounsaturated or omega-3 fatty acid rather than from saturated fat in beef. I personally opt for the whey isolate/healthy fat combo over cottage cheese or casein shakes :).

BEAST

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
Go with cottage cheese OR whey isolate with natty PB, macadamia nut oil, or EVOO. I feel like it is best to stick with a leaner protein source at such a time and get your fats from a heart-healthy monounsaturated or omega-3 fatty acid rather than from saturated fat in beef. I personally opt for the whey isolate/healthy fat combo over cottage cheese or casein shakes :).

BEAST
O man thanks! i already had some! haha never again then... but thanks for the advice! i wasnt able to get in proper meals today.. alotta cliff bars and shakes so i was hungry for it... but yea thanks again

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
if its 97/3 i honestly don't see the problem..

cook it in EVOO and you're set.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
if its 97/3 i honestly don't see the problem..

cook it in EVOO and you're set.
You DO NOT get the healthy fats from what you propose. All you end up getting is the saturated fats in the beef, not all that much but they are still not the heart-healthy fats you could easily be getting from other sources. As for cooking it in EVOO, you oxidize EVOO's EFAs when it is heated past a certain temperature, (anytime the temp is high enough to cook a meat IT IS TOO HOT for EVOO not to oxidize.) The only way to get the healthy fats from EVOO is too ingest it RAW. If you cook the beef in macadamia nut oil however, it does not oxidize until a much higher temperature, so it is superior to EVOO in this regard for cooking purposes (when you desire to keep the essential fatty acids and mono-unsat fats from oxidizing).

BEAST

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
You DO NOT get the healthy fats from what you propose. All you end up getting is the saturated fats in the beef, not all that much but they are still not the heart-healthy fats you could easily be getting from other sources. As for cooking it in EVOO, you oxidize EVOO's EFAs when it is heated past a certain temperature, (anytime the temp is high enough to cook a meat IT IS TOO HOT for EVOO not to oxidize.) The only way to get the healthy fats from EVOO is too ingest it RAW. If you cook the beef in macadamia nut oil however, it does not oxidize until a much higher temperature, so it is superior to EVOO in this regard for cooking purposes (when you desire to keep the essential fatty acids and mono-unsat fats from oxidizing).

BEAST
I would cook in EVOO and then add whatever amount you want to take either by shooting it raw or drizzling it on top of the beef after its cooked.
The saturated fats in that lean of beef (97/3) can be beneficial in test...and at night that could be helpful in my opinion.
Hes not throwing down a double cheeseburger from McDonald's...:burger: mmm haha
Yea, its easier to drink some casein and olive oil pre-bed, but i understand his hunger pains. If he wants to be satiated and eat some lean beef and shoot some EVOO before bed I don't see the problem. The only fat that should be completely avoided is Trans fat....so in this case like i said he could go for it.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
coconut oil :)

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I have no problem with saturated fats. I personally always incorporate them, even to some degree pre-contest. My only point was that you don't get the health benefits from cooking wirth EVOO. If you drizzle some EVOO on top of the meat AFTER its cooked or do a shot of it raw, then you would get the benefits from it. I was only pointing out that the healthy fats are going to be better for him at that time, in addition to the small amount of saturated fats in the beef itself. Hell, he could even eat the beef and just add some nuts, natty nut butter, or some mac nut or evoo and he's still good to go.

BEAST

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I have no problem with saturated fats. I personally always incorporate them, even to some degree pre-contest. My only point was that you don't get the health benefits from cooking wirth EVOO. If you drizzle some EVOO on top of the meat AFTER its cooked or do a shot of it raw, then you would get the benefits from it. I was only pointing out that the healthy fats are going to be better for him at that time, in addition to the small amount of saturated fats in the beef itself. Hell, he could even eat the beef and just add some nuts, natty nut butter, or some mac nut or evoo and he's still good to go.

BEAST
I agree...i just didnt take the time to type it out the explanation haha

I've heard that steak with avocado spread over it is pretty tasty too

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMO basically any whole food is ok if it fits in your calorie and macronutrient plan.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established

BEAST
This is based on what? BTW, cottage cheese has pretty much the same fat profile as fat from beef. :twak:

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Go ahead take in ur healthy fats with ur cottage cheese I don't care but don't expect to do it in any kind of tasty manner.

BEAST

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
As for the protein, you get more bang for your buck, calorie-wise, with lean beef over dairy.

1% fat CC: 1 cup= 163 cal, 2g fat (1g sat), 6g carbs (6g SUGAR), 28g protein

95% lean ground beef: 4.5 oz= 171 cal, 4.5 g fat (4.5g sat), 0g carb, 27g protein

They have similar protein content, but the sat fat in the beef is a bit higher AND there is NO CARBS Vs. 6g pure sugar in 1%fat CC. Add in your healthy fats from EVOO or mac nut oil and you've got the heart healthy fats (~14g mono unsat). Either way CC or lean beef ins't a bad choice BUT I personally prefer a ZERO Carb whey isolate w/ healthy fats = Superior g/g protein:fat:carb ratio of both beef and CC AND you get all the fats from your Healthy monounsaturated fats + omega-3's. Either way you get better health benefits and more "bang for your calorie" with whey isolate/healthy fats. (I am not saying that ANY of these options is unhealthy or innappropriate, I simply state why I prefer the whey or lean beef plus healthy fats OVER CC.)

BEAST

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
You can rinse your ground beef as well, and reduce the fat grams even more!!

For 3.5 ounces of 90/10 ground beef
Raw = 10g fat
fried patties = 8g fat
fried crumbles = 7g fat
fried crumbles rinsed with hot water = 3g

Rinse that beef!!!

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
lately ive been just getting hungry at night where a protein shake wil not do so i cook up so lean ground beef (97/3) with lots of onions to fill me up.. is that ok? currently on a lean bulk so trying to stay clean but man ive got an appetite lol! any opinions on this? Thanks everyone
Beef is my preferred bedtime meal!

dave12

Awards
  • Established

BEAST
Does this happen before the smoke point of the oil is reached? I thought I read that you were good up until then.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Does this happen before the smoke point of the oil is reached? I thought I read that you were good up until then.
EVOO's smoke point is too low to cook meat with.

BEAST

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established

BEAST
Saturated fats are not bad for you. They help you stay full and are very essential for any individual with an active lifestyle. Eat a spoonful of coconut oil before bed. That always does the trick.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Saturated fats are not bad for you. They help you stay full and are very essential for any individual with an active lifestyle. Eat a spoonful of coconut oil before bed. That always does the trick.
I agree with you that saturated fats are good for you. I NEVER recommend not eating them. I do however suggest that you get them from something such as a lean beef. IMO saturated fat oils are alright. Many of them do not directly get stored as fat, i.e. EVCO, BUT eating X amount of EVCO ABSOLUTELY WILL result in X amount of food Y getting stored (if unused), whereas food Y would NOT have been stored had the EVCO not been ingested. It is a trade-off, I simply prefer to keep my saturated fats moderate coming from high quality animal proteins and add supplemental fats from not-saturated fat sources. BUT all in all I absolutely agree that saturated fats as a whole get an undeserved bad reputation.

BEAST

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
i had cube steak before bed last night, its pretty lean, I think 4.5 grams fat every 4 oz

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wish I could afford to eat beef before bed. Good dose of zinc, B-vitamins, protein, and fat before bed. I especially like to eat 6 oz of beef with some mushrooms while cutting. Tastes much better than cottage cheese any day.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you that saturated fats are good for you. I NEVER recommend not eating them. I do however suggest that you get them from something such as a lean beef. IMO saturated fat oils are alright. Many of them do not directly get stored as fat, i.e. EVCO, BUT eating X amount of EVCO ABSOLUTELY WILL result in X amount of food Y getting stored (if unused), whereas food Y would NOT have been stored had the EVCO not been ingested. It is a trade-off, I simply prefer to keep my saturated fats moderate coming from high quality animal proteins and add supplemental fats from not-saturated fat sources. BUT all in all I absolutely agree that saturated fats as a whole get an undeserved bad reputation.

BEAST
Very true. If you burn 2,000 calories and you eat 2,500 calories of broccoli, you'll gain weight. haha

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
id say if u go with a lean cut of beef like inside/outside round youd be good. those cuts are extremely lean. u could add some natty pb or evoo for some fats.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
y'all have convinced me to ditch the cottage cheese for some cube steak prebed :D