hypoglycemia diet

bodybuilder19

Quick background:

Diagnosed with ADHD around age 4. Been on medications (Ritalin, Adderall, and most recently, Provigil.) During the adderall days, I got on Zoloft. Also got on some Geodon, Seroquel ... didn't stay on those crazy drugs for too long. In March of 2009, I weened myself off both the Provigil and Zoloft.

During the past 2 or 3 years, I have "experimented" with a lot of different PH's and all that (while on the above medications ... stupid, I know)

About a year or so ago ... I was diagnosed with severe hypoglycemia. Can't recall if its fasting or reactive hypo ...

Regardless, I need some help! I'm 20 years old ... deciding to stay away from PH's and all that for a while, I just can't handle them right now and not to mention, I'm probably too young. There are, IMO, too many factors when taking these, especially if your like me and you have taken zoloft for 4 years ... adderall and other stimulants for almost your whole life.

There are some things that have affected my performance of the late. Fatigue ... severe lethargy ... lack of motivation ... tired all the time for no reason at all ... can't focus ... Seems like after I tried my first Transdermal a few months ago ... Transform and Metamorphsis by Force of Green Labs everything went down hill ....

After talking with an expert on the board here, I was reccomnded to do several different things. I did them all. Still feeling a lot of these symptoms. In my head, I don't know what it is. I've got blood work done (basic blood work) to find I have a mild liver inflamation and high potassium levels. Didn't want to hear that news ... Bought some Cycle Assist for the liver.

I realize that I put my body through alot of strenous actiivty due to complete ignorance when using PH's and all the other crap. Not sure im my body is just telling me its had enough or what ...

I've been depending on high dosages of caffiene to help me make it through the day.

I really dont know waht to think about all this ... the diagnosis of hypoglycemia came into my head today and I thought maybe I've been dieting wrong and doin everything WRONG.

I'd like suggestions ... knowing the background above ... having hypolgycemia ... whats a good diet or lifestyle look like? I weigh about 190, 15% BF .... also wish to get that BF down and try to increase LBM while decreasing BF.

Don't know what kind of responses I'll get ... pray for the best of help!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
have you been to an endocrinologist ? check all your hormone levels instead of just the CBC?

if you are hypoglycemic, what symptoms do you notice, and when does it happen? stenuous activity? any activity? not eating for more then a few hours?

bodybuilder19

I haven't logged or anything to remember consistant things ... so many different factors and have used so many different products at the same time it's hard to say!

I have noticed that high doses of caffiene keep me from being lethargic, sluggish, etc. I've notice I crave sugars, sweets, and junk foods quite a bit. I've notcied recently that after my morning meal of about a cup of quacker oats mixed with some peanut butter and about 1.5 scoops of ATW protein powder ... I always felt like CRAP after that. I felt so tired ... I notcied the ATW had tyropphan in it, stopped taking that. I've notcied if I drink a cup of coffee, I crash HARD. I was drinking coffee before bed, had about a 10 minute high from the caffiene, then crashed. However, if I take a spike energy drink or a VPX Meltdown, I don't crash like I do from the coffee.

Same things happens when I workout. I'll be so pumped out from my PW supps such as Mesomorph and then an hour into it I'm sluggish, tired ... wanna leave the gym. This is frustrating from being on PH's I could be in the gym for hours with none of that crap happening. Ever since I got off all my medication in March (provigil + zoloft) these SA's have been more obvious. In march, i got on all advocare products. They seemed to help with energy and all that.

My diet has always consisted of low carb, low fat, high protein. Anytime I read a label, I try to find things with few carbs, few calories, and lots of protein. IE Fish, Chicken, beans, etc .... Need education.!

bodybuilder19

Diet for a hypoglycemic person trying to cut BF and increase LBM?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you need more carbs and need to cut out the caffeine ASAP! Caffeine lowers blood sugar. You may want to supplement with chromium GTF. Your diet must consist of complex carbohydrates. (search) Healthy fats, Lean proteins. Avoid sugar except when blood sugar is very low and you need a quick fix. Eat every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar elevated. Make sure you meals consist of carbs, fats and proteins except around your workout times where carbs and proteins together are better then with fats. After a week you should start to stabilize and notice a huge difference, otherwise you got other issues then hypoglycemia.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I haven't logged or anything to remember consistant things ... so many different factors and have used so many different products at the same time it's hard to say!

I have noticed that high doses of caffiene keep me from being lethargic, sluggish, etc. I've notice I crave sugars, sweets, and junk foods quite a bit. I've notcied recently that after my morning meal of about a cup of quacker oats mixed with some peanut butter and about 1.5 scoops of ATW protein powder ... I always felt like CRAP after that. I felt so tired ... I notcied the ATW had tyropphan in it, stopped taking that. I've notcied if I drink a cup of coffee, I crash HARD. I was drinking coffee before bed, had about a 10 minute high from the caffiene, then crashed. However, if I take a spike energy drink or a VPX Meltdown, I don't crash like I do from the coffee.

Same things happens when I workout. I'll be so pumped out from my PW supps such as Mesomorph and then an hour into it I'm sluggish, tired ... wanna leave the gym. This is frustrating from being on PH's I could be in the gym for hours with none of that crap happening. Ever since I got off all my medication in March (provigil + zoloft) these SA's have been more obvious. In march, i got on all advocare products. They seemed to help with energy and all that.

My diet has always consisted of low carb, low fat, high protein. Anytime I read a label, I try to find things with few carbs, few calories, and lots of protein. IE Fish, Chicken, beans, etc .... Need education.!

tryptophan is a naturally occuring amino acid..........it is in every single complete protein source - whey,eggs,meat,dairy, etc.

fyi

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you need more carbs and need to cut out the caffeine ASAP! Caffeine lowers blood sugar. You may want to supplement with chromium GTF. Your diet must consist of complex carbohydrates. (search) Healthy fats, Lean proteins. Avoid sugar except when blood sugar is very low and you need a quick fix. Eat every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar elevated. Make sure you meals consist of carbs, fats and proteins except around your workout times where carbs and proteins together are better then with fats. After a week you should start to stabilize and notice a huge difference, otherwise you got other issues then hypoglycemia.

why exactly would something that eliminates glucose from the blood stream be a good idea for someone that cannot keep glucose in their blood stream?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
why exactly would something that eliminates glucose from the blood stream be a good idea for someone that cannot keep glucose in their blood stream?
Not sure what your saying. Maybe you need to understand hypoglycemia. For whatever reason our pancreas shoots out too much insulin into the blood stream and it gets burned up right away. Chromium can help regulate this slightly. This form of chromium is probably superior at keeping blood sugar levels stable.

bodybuilder19

Thanks for everyones help. I'm still feeling very lethargic and horrible every day... I gonna try and buy that Chromium. I'm still looking into some good workout supplements ... I'm very passionate about working out and its sad that A.) I've been using products that I really shouldn't have been using SINCE I have reactive hypo and B.) I feel there is very few items out there that will get me the pumps I used to get without having a great impact on my blood glucose levels ...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I hope you take my advice in my first post. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was 19. I'm 26 now. Before I was diagnosed I felt terrible. I was depressed. I had no energy. I was lathargic, spacey all the time and wondered what was going on. It's a terrible feeling. Once you get it under control you will learn how to manage it. I rarely have a low blood sugar attack now unless I don't eat enough but I make a strong effort to eat every 2-3 hours. If this is truly what you have you should snap out of it within a week or 2 otherwise you got more wrong with you that you need to go to the DR. for more testing. Keep your carbs up around work out time. No protein only shakes!