Imported Tilapia...how safe?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Well i have it now and will eat it no matter what probably. Being a college student im picking my shopping trips wisely. Sadly i resort to Walmart now. I got 16 Imported Tilapia Fillets from there for i think $12-14.
They say farm raised from China...
Any input?
I remember reading recently about imported fish and tuna being to heavy in metal and tainted?

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I dont think im brave enough to eat fish imported from china lol. Large ocean fish can have unwanted amounts of metals like mercury in them but farm raised fish wont have anything at all really. Also Alpha lipoic acid can help purge metal/mercury from the body, so if you eat a lot of tuna its normally a good idea to supplement with some. But yeah I doubt you are gonna die from eating some fish from walmart, most likely someone else would have already, plus you are young still so you'll be alright :p

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
haha alright. Thats kind of what i was thinking too. Plus ill only be eating 3-4 fillets a week(4 oz each)

JM0

JM0

Awards
I was watching Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe went to a farm where they raised striped bass and talapia. Basically they would raise the strpiers in certain tanks until they are large enough, then take them out and put in talipia where they would live for a while off the feces left in the tank from the stripers. The talapia are then taken out after they get big and strong living off sh*t and sold to restaurants & packaging plants for human consumption.

Talapia is officially off my list.

itzgambino

Awards
one of my best friends, his father actually owns his own fishing company in Long Island and he and his father both stress that you should be careful where you get your Tilapia from. I believe he said you should stay away from Tilapia that is raised in China because the water the fish farms you has a habit of being contaminated or something like that.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I was watching Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe went to a farm where they raised striped bass and talapia. Basically they would raise the strpiers in certain tanks until they are large enough, then take them out and put in talipia where they would live for a while off the feces left in the tank from the stripers. The talapia are then taken out after they get big and strong living off sh*t and sold to restaurants & packaging plants for human consumption.

Talapia is officially off my list.
I remember seeing the episode but i guess forgot that part.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Never ever eat fish imported from Asia. You are asking to get sick!! Leave it alone

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
farm raised tilapia is usually all raised eating just $hit. that fact took it off my list and now chinese $hit eating tilapia?? no thanks