ground beef

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.57%

ground beef

If I am trying to up my calories per day without increasing carbs, I thought about going to a fatter % ground beef. Would this be a good idea or no? Usually I buy 93/7 beef, and make big portions for a whole day out of a box that includes rice and seasoning. I think if I went to 80/20 beef, that would add a few hundred calories(using a pound per day). Also is it bad to eat beef regularly? Like 4 times a week? Because it is much easier for me to cook beef indoors than any other kind of meet, besides fish. (current apartment living style makes grilling a pain, with ****ty grill).

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hmmm......if I were to increase calories without increasing carbs i would up my lean proteins and if necessary to raise fats I would strive for healthy fats like omegas and such i.e. more eggs with the yokes. The extra fat in ground beef isn't what I would consider Ideal. I tihnk most guys on this board eat a lot of beef. Apartment life sucks so get a George Foreman......f ucking life saver! Then chicken and steaks and even pork are easily cooked inside. The small grills are not real expensive.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.57%

I have an older one, and it sucks for cooking chicken because the hot top and bottom of the grill are always touching both sides (vs conventional grill only touching one side at a time) so it kinda burns the chicken's skin but it works ok for beef. I do have tons of eggs, always with yokes, I guess I can up a few eggs, but I want to up calories without upping volume because its hard enough for me to stuff down this much food lately.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.26%

as far as not burning the chicken....butterfly that ****. Cut it down the middle and spread it on the grill. It will take less time to cook and will burn less. If your not drinking whole milk....although it has carbs....that is calorie dense. I would personally just supplement with some olive oil maybe......Depending on your carb limit but Peanut Butter is extremely calorie dense with good fats in it. I always just eat more lean meats when I need to up calories.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree with keep buying 93/7 and add a couple TBSP of EVOO to it.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

go to a butcher shop and ask for INSIDE or OUTSIDE round steak. ask to get it ground up. It is the leanest beef you will find, virtually almost no fat. i have used it in a contest prep and off season. many pros eat this year round.
    then just add some olive oil or PB for some fats

oh and if u do go this route i mentioned get it ground up....you will rip ur gums apart trying to eat it like regualr steak...trust me i know lol
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13%

whole eggs + egg whites + natty PB + EVOO = problem solved.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.57%

I eat 12 whole eggs (jumbo) every single day. Usually 2 tablespooons of jiffy PB. I'll continue on with the 93/7 but man im getting so tired of eggs, beef, and chicken.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    I eat 12 whole eggs (jumbo) every single day. Usually 2 tablespooons of jiffy PB. I'll continue on with the 93/7 but man im getting so tired of eggs, beef, and chicken.
    Sounds like you're on keto, if you are http://stronglifts.com/the-ultimate-...s-you-can-eat/
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13%

Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    i hear ya man. i'm eating bascially the exact same thing you are, and its hard not to get old of it.

i've been eating it real plain for a while. but have been playing around with seasoning and combining it with other foods to make it taste better.

say rather than a 5 egg plain omlet in the morning. scramble it up with some green bell peppers and onions, add a little lean turkey in there, and put it in a wheat pita wrap to go. taste badass!

for chicken, after its cooked i shred it up with a knife and fork and mix it with some whole wheat pasta, olive oil, sliced tomatoes and fresh basil. kills it.

takes more time, but doesnt even taste like chicken or eggs anymore.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.21%

i say go for the 80/20

saturated fats can increase test. Its in the anabolic diet. obviously you don't wanna go overboard with sat fats, but going to 80/20 beef could work out for your situation...
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.17%

Add healthy fats instead, and think about adding a WPI or extra BCAAs between meals. Good fats include omega-3 whole eggs, raw almonds, cashews, all natural PB, EVOO (uncooked), and macademia nut oil (cooked or uncooked).

BEAST
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13%

Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post

saturated fats can increase test. Its in the anabolic diet. obviously you don't wanna go overboard with sat fats, but going to 80/20 beef could work out for your situation...
    i reckon he's getting PLENTY of saturated fats with the 12 WHOLE eggs and PB!
    adding any more than that would be overkill. and even tho 80/20 is tasty, man its filthy and greasy compared to something lean. i couldnt imagine putting much 80/20 away without hurling during a run.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

The food won't be greasy if its cooked correctly.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.27%

nuts nuts more nuts!!!! $hit ton of calories in just a handfull! i buy big bags of almonds,walnuts,pecans,pine nuts from costco and mix em all up in zip lock bags. that could easily add 500-600 cal onto your diet. olive oil is great as well but nuts are the best calorie packer. just make sure to buy them raw none of that roasted business

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ground beef or ground turkey?
    By Pezz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
  2. 80% ground beef?
    By Machwon1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
  3. macros in ground beef
    By namctx in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5