Gatorade powder mix in post-workout shake? - AnabolicMinds.com

Gatorade powder mix in post-workout shake?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Gatorade powder mix in post-workout shake?

So every now and then I see that some people choose to throw a scoop of gatorade powder mix in their post workout shake. I have been playing around with a few different combinations to get my post workout shake personalized. I've come to a point where my post workout shake consists of 16 oz. skim milk, 1 scoop All The Whey Isolate, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana and 10g BCAA's. I've considered adding a scoop of gatorade powder mix to it to further aid recovery. I'm looking to hear some peoples input on this subject, pro or con.

As a side note, when I went to check out the listed ingredients last night on the container, near the end was "hydrolyzed coconut oil" and I think "condensed vegetable oil", some sort of vegetable oil. Anyhow, this scared me away enough from purchasing it last night without further investigation. What is the meaning of this in gatorade, can it be any good for you, espescially post workout?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

yea gatorade uses other crap like toxic food coloring and HFCSyrup. it also has salt which aids re-hydration very well. so you can the clean route (dextrose/maltodextrin, waxy maize, food) to replenish carbs post workout, or the dirtier high fructose corn syrup gatorade way. i just make my own protein+dex/malt and add salt after aerobic/mma workouts. in terms of athletic performance i think gatorade is garbage, too many chemicals.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yea gatorade uses other crap like toxic food coloring and HFCSyrup. it also has salt which aids re-hydration very well. so you can the clean route (dextrose/maltodextrin, waxy maize, food) to replenish carbs post workout, or the dirtier high fructose corn syrup gatorade way. i just make my own protein+dex/malt and add salt after aerobic/mma workouts. in terms of athletic performance i think gatorade is garbage, too many chemicals.
    Yes, my thoughts after I read the ingredients profile. Do you use basic table salt?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Yes, my thoughts after I read the ingredients profile. Do you use basic table salt?
    no i like sea salt. regular basic salt is not awesome enough for me lol

only add salt if you are really gonna sweat profusely, when you start losing like 2% bodyweight thats when your plasma levels get low. no use doing this after just lifting, only serious prolonged aerobic activity.
  5. New Member

my 'poor man's recovery method i used in college consisted of 50g of Gatorade powder and 25g of whey protein powder, preworkout and postworkout. it did the trick for 3 years and was very economical.
    if you are anal or really really concerned with your macro's and every tiny thing you put in your body then dextrose would be the way to go, but good luck choking it down.

i did orange flavor gatorade and fruit punch flavored whey for years and it went down every time.

good luck
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

only add salt if you are really gonna sweat profusely, when you start losing like 2% bodyweight thats when your plasma levels get low. no use doing this after just lifting, only serious prolonged aerobic activity.
    I wouldn't see the problem with a little bit of salt. Obviously large amounts aren't needed but a little bit would certainly add some palatability to the mixture.

Although now that i think about it.... I've never actually tried that. I'll have to give it a go sometime.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tek52086 View Post
    my 'poor man's recovery method i used in college consisted of 50g of Gatorade powder and 25g of whey protein powder, preworkout and postworkout. it did the trick for 3 years and was very economical.
    if you are anal or really really concerned with your macro's and every tiny thing you put in your body then dextrose would be the way to go, but good luck choking it down.
    hahah dextrose tastes just like any normal table sugar, about 20% less sweeter. its a difference of dextrose = 100% glucose which bypasses the liver, table sugar/HFCS/gatorade = fructose/glucose = 50/50, takes longer to absorb through the liver.

we try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup because it is over processed, in large quantities will lead to insulin resistance, and contains other strange compounds that could be toxic. so in the long run it makes sense to use dextrose which is cheap ($20 for 15 lbs) especially if you are using it postworkout. I wouldnt want to continuously get 60+ grams of carbs from the sugar in gatorade.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    I wouldn't see the problem with a little bit of salt. Obviously large amounts aren't needed but a little bit would certainly add some palatability to the mixture.

Although now that i think about it.... I've never actually tried that. I'll have to give it a go sometime.
    absolutely there is no problem in adding salt to your shakes, but only useful if you are going to lose a good amt of water through sweat. ive noticed that after losing 4-6 lbs sweating in jiujitsu, the salt in the shake helps me rehydrate very quickly. add about 500 mg which is around half a tea spoon
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  0 lbs.

Hello, want to discuss that i just make my own protein+malt and add salt after aerobic workouts. in terms of athletic performance i think gatorade is garbage, too many chemicals.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    hahah dextrose tastes just like any normal table sugar, about 20% less sweeter. its a difference of dextrose = 100% glucose which bypasses the liver, table sugar/HFCS/gatorade = fructose/glucose = 50/50, takes longer to absorb through the liver.

we try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup because it is over processed, in large quantities will lead to insulin resistance, and contains other strange compounds that could be toxic. so in the long run it makes sense to use dextrose which is cheap ($20 for 15 lbs) especially if you are using it postworkout. I wouldnt want to continuously get 60+ grams of carbs from the sugar in gatorade.
    The more natural you can be, the better.

Also, you could just drink a glass of 100% juice (you choose) for simple carbs immediately after your workout.
  11. New Member

That would be my last choice. Agree with the above post.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pre workout and Post workout Shake Question?
    By ali11atc in forum Bulking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
  2. Rate this Post Workout shake, and post yours.
    By Theipodpeople in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
  3. Best Post Workout Shake
    By TimberLakers in forum Recipes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
  4. Which is the better post-workout shake?
    By BOHICA in forum Bulking
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
  5. Post Workout Shake Help Please
    By dsw222 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM