antibiotics?

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
hey everyone,

well i came down with a pretty knarly cold. so i was prescribed a 5 day antibiotic cycle. The ingredient is Azithromycin. How is this going to effect my body? currently on protein, gluts, bcaa, creatine, Animal Pak, Jack3d, Purple Wrath, ZMK, and Diesel Test Pro-cycle...

Thanks everyone

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hey everyone,

well i came down with a pretty knarly cold. so i was prescribed a 5 day antibiotic cycle. The ingredient is Azithromycin. How is this going to effect my body? currently on protein, gluts, bcaa, creatine, Animal Pak, Jack3d, Purple Wrath, ZMK, and Diesel Test Pro-cycle...

Thanks everyone
Azithromycin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and it's generally well tolerated. The nice thing about it is that the course of therapy is generally 5 days which is shorter than most atb. Side effects are the usual ones for atb, loose stools, nausea, vomiting but like I said this one generally well tolerated. Don't take it within 2 hours of your ZMK as magnesium decreases it's efficacy, everything else should be ok.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Yeah... I'd say taking the azithromycin for the 5 days is better than suffering the cold symptoms for 10. I've been prescribed it for strep throat, bronchial or sinus infections.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yea it might help short term, but if you can handle the cold then why permanently damage your immune system? too many people go straight to poppin antibiotics when they get sick, why not try pounding water and megadosing vit C..it helps me heal so much faster from a cold

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I was prescribed the same thing for something I had caught from my wife who got it from work. I took it for 5 days (which was the total amount) felt better for a week and then the cold rebounded and I had the same symptoms all over again. Same thing happened to my wife we both rebounded and we both were on the same thing, Azithromycin. The second time around my wife wanted to go back to the doctor and get more meds I refused to go myself and instead have been taking high amounts of vit c, zinc, and l-glutamine as well as drinking about a gallon n a half of water a day. My wife got a diff antibiotic, nasal spray, and cough medicine. The doc then told her that the Azithromycin is normally weak against sinus colds (dont know why it was prescribed in the first place then). Needless to say I am already feeling better and my wife is still sick. I went and picked up some probiotics too cause I know that stuff can mess you up for awhile.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Megadosing on vitamin C and fluids is hit or miss with me. Sometimes it works and I knock the cold out in 48 hours by doing that plus sleeping, but on occasions that it just doesn't work for me or I'm busy and not able to get the right amount of rest I have to resort to the antibiotics.

When I caught strep throat, this stuff was the only thing that helped me after a week and a half of suffering through it with no improvement.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yea strep throat is a biatch i guess its antibiotic worthy. try doing 2-4 gs of C everyday anyway, ive found that the colds will last a lot shorter

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
The doc then told her that the Azithromycin is normally weak against sinus colds (dont know why it was prescribed in the first place then).
Ugh GP's... Common sense would dictate that handing out antibiotics like halloween candy when they aren't needed would create resistant super pathogens. Thank god America is the only place on earth you can majorly **** up because you were to arrogant to think ahead and still not be held responsible. [/rant]

Anyways, because the antibiotics are going to interfere with your beneficial gut fauna, you should try to consume extra amounts of fermented dairy products and consider getting some prebiotic and probiotic supplements.

Whenever I start to come down with a sickness; echinacea, rhodiola, vit c, fish oil, and lysine help nip it in the bud. IMO, the best supplement period for immunity is Kyo-Green. As a proud ex-GNC employee, i've had the chance to try and keep a lot of free products. On a whim I decided to liberate ~$100 worth of Kyo-Green in sample packets and for the past two years i've come to the conclusion that it trumps all other immunity supplements. It tastes like cut grass, but its almost magical in how much better it'll make you feel. I'm not a fan of green and "health" type marketed drinks, but its definitely the real deal.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah... I'd say taking the azithromycin for the 5 days is better than suffering the cold symptoms for 10. I've been prescribed it for strep throat, bronchial or sinus infections.
The cause of the common cold is a virus, antibiotics are useless in treating viral infections the treatment is usually then symptomatic (pain, fever etc)

yea it might help short term, but if you can handle the cold then why permanently damage your immune system? too many people go straight to poppin antibiotics when they get sick, why not try pounding water and megadosing vit C..it helps me heal so much faster from a cold
I agree with you about mega dosing Vitamin C it won't prevent a cold as some believe but I have seen some research that suggests it does shorten the duration of illness. I am unaware of any study that suggests antibiotics causing permanent immune system damage , do you have a source for this info? I would seriously like to see it.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ugh GP's... Common sense would dictate that handing out antibiotics like halloween candy when they aren't needed would create resistant super pathogens. Thank god America is the only place on earth you can majorly **** up because you were to arrogant to think ahead and still not be held responsible. [/rant]

Anyways, because the antibiotics are going to interfere with your beneficial gut fauna, you should try to consume extra amounts of fermented dairy products and consider getting some prebiotic and probiotic supplements.

Whenever I start to come down with a sickness; echinacea, rhodiola, vit c, fish oil, and lysine help nip it in the bud. IMO, the best supplement period for immunity is Kyo-Green. As a proud ex-GNC employee, i've had the chance to try and keep a lot of free products. On a whim I decided to liberate ~$100 worth of Kyo-Green in sample packets and for the past two years i've come to the conclusion that it trumps all other immunity supplements. It tastes like cut grass, but its almost magical in how much better it'll make you feel. I'm not a fan of green and "health" type marketed drinks, but its definitely the real deal.
While I do agree with you that we over-prescribe antibiotic here in America and that along with patients not taking the course of antibiotic as prescribed have def led to some antibiotic resistant bacteria like VRE, MRSA etc, I'm not sure what that has to do with arrogance or accountability. Antibiotics are over-prescribed in most developed countries including European countries and Canada. People come to the doctor and demand antibiotics and the doctors feel pressured to write the script. I know this is true because I work with them every day and I've had this conversation with many of them.

deadmau5

Awards
I would add some pre & probiotics to that stack to keep your digestive system's efficiency on par with the amount of calories your are probably eating. since antibiotics kill a lot of your stomach "good" bacteria