Whats the best diet plan for a vegetarian?

dealrocker

Awards
Hello friends..
I am a pure vegetarian and just looking for the best vegetarian diet plan. Can anyone help with what would be the best diet plan to use? I read and hear much more about eDiets vegetarian diet plan. Well, I have about 35 pounds to lose.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
I think vegitarians should jump off a bridge... how the hell can you get any protien!!!

UKStrength

I think vegitarians should jump off a bridge... how the hell can you get any protien!!!
Quite easily mate, especially today when there are so many protein supplements available to help you meet your needs.

dealrocker - I'd read this awesome article first mate by Rosie (Guejsn) on basics of fat loss at her website:

Your carbohydrate and fat sources should follow closely the details in that article.

In terms of where your dietary protein needs change as a vegetarian, you'll need to plan harder to make sure you're getting a good balance of various sources of protein to meet your requirements.

Do you eat fish, eggs or dairy?

Good Sources of Vegetarian Protein:

Seitan (wheat gluten)
Soya/Tofu
Fish (pescatarian only)
Eggs (ovo-lactovarian)
Milk
Cheese (especially cottage cheese - ovo-lactovarian)
Legumes (beans, lentils, peas)

Hope this helps a bit mate.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
My advice would be to dust your balls off and start using them again.

Why anyone, especially some one concerned about their health, would be a vegetarian is beyond me. It IS NOT healthier. We have been eating animals ever since we could hold a spear. There is nutrition in meats that we cannot obtain through plants.

I enjoy this article.

So what exactly does "pure vegetarian" mean. If you don't mind me asking, what is your motivation for choosing this lifestyle?

UKStrength

My advice would be to dust your balls off and start using them again.

Why anyone, especially some one concerned about their health, would be a vegetarian is beyond me. It IS NOT healthier. We have been eating animals ever since we could hold a spear. There is nutrition in meats that we cannot obtain through plants.

So what exactly does "pure vegetarian" mean. If you don't mind me asking, what is your motivation for choosing this lifestyle?
Mate starting this argument on here is only going to end in tears and someone being banned.

At the end of the day, vegetarianism is a choice. For whatever reason the OP has to be vegetarian that's his decision, regardless of whether we think it's healthier or not.

My view is that I'll try to help him where possible and give advice to the best of my ability for the goals he currently has. My suggestion is that you do the same instead of goading an argument.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Hello friends..
I am a pure vegetarian and just looking for the best vegetarian diet plan. Can anyone help with what would be the best diet plan to use? I read and hear much more about eDiets vegetarian diet plan. Well, I have about 35 pounds to lose.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
AN old magazine owned by Weider publications stated that a complete source of protein and carbs was good ol' fashion rice n beans.

To increase your protein intake eat lots of legumes, grains, fruits.. Some grains are higher in protein than others, and lots of ways to get that..
For example 1 cup of chick peas is 269 calories, 15grams protein, 45grams carbs, and thats not including some nice brown rice, and vegetables.
Also you may want to add a vegan based protein powder.

Personally all the meat you buy at the stores these days is not healthy, loaded with hormones etc.. Its a lifestyle choice, and at the same time keep in mind genetically modified vegetables do exist, support your local farmer.

Here is a way to read lot numbers which are the little stickers on fruits and veggies..

4-digit number = Conventionally-grown, but not organic

5-digit number, that Begins with the number “9” = Organic

5-digit number, that Begins with the number “8” = Genetically Modified

Example:

4322 = Conventionally-grown, but not organic

94322 = Organic

84322 = Genetically Modified

MK9

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Mate starting this argument on here is only going to end in tears and someone being banned.

At the end of the day, vegetarianism is a choice. For whatever reason the OP has to be vegetarian that's his decision, regardless of whether we think it's healthier or not.

My view is that I'll try to help him where possible and give advice to the best of my ability for the goals he currently has. My suggestion is that you do the same instead of goading an argument.
I totally agree. I just think vegetarians suck. It is my choice to think that. If you want to be a vegetarian, that is your right.

AN old magazine owned by Weider publications stated that a complete source of protein and carbs was good ol' fashion rice n beans.

To increase your protein intake eat lots of legumes, grains, fruits.. Some grains are higher in protein than others, and lots of ways to get that..
For example 1 cup of chick peas is 269 calories, 15grams protein, 45grams carbs, and thats not including some nice brown rice, and vegetables.
Also you may want to add a vegan based protein powder.

Personally all the meat you buy at the stores these days is not healthy, loaded with hormones etc.. Its a lifestyle choice, and at the same time keep in mind genetically modified vegetables do exist, support your local farmer.

Here is a way to read lot numbers which are the little stickers on fruits and veggies..

4-digit number = Conventionally-grown, but not organic

5-digit number, that Begins with the number “9” = Organic

5-digit number, that Begins with the number “8” = Genetically Modified

Example:

4322 = Conventionally-grown, but not organic

94322 = Organic

84322 = Genetically Modified

MK9
Sure! One serving of chickpeas contains 15g of protein! Wow! One serving also contains 12g of dietary fiber. Combine that with rice and veggies...I don't even wanna think about it. You wouldn't be able to workout cause you'd be on the toilet all day.

Sure, meat now a days is loaded with hormones. I try to buy hormone free, natural or organic meat when I can that is the least processed. Whether it is actually totally natural, who knows. To say that meat sold in grocery stores "is not healthy" is stupid. Heroin is "not healthy".

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it is a personal choice yeah

at the end of the day a person who does not eat meats are going to have trouble building muscle a lot faster than some one who does eat meat. soy proteins, plant proteins are incomplete..look up the absorptions rates I have known this for years as I have a book on it.. and no way absorb like meats. Whey absorbs the most like 90 something...then stuff like beef, foul, when you get down to nuts and beans and such it is only like 43 % or something and they are incomplete.. I eat 370 grams of protein a day from whey and meat and I do not count the protein in legumes, beans etc I do not count this protein because they really do not do much for muscle growth in my opinion.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. I just think vegetarians suck. It is my choice to think that. If you want to be a vegetarian, that is your right.

Sure! One serving of chickpeas contains 15g of protein! Wow! One serving also contains 12g of dietary fiber. Combine that with rice and veggies...I don't even wanna think about it. You wouldn't be able to workout cause you'd be on the toilet all day.

Sure, meat now a days is loaded with hormones. I try to buy hormone free, natural or organic meat when I can that is the least processed. Whether it is actually totally natural, who knows. To say that meat sold in grocery stores "is not healthy" is stupid. Heroin is "not healthy".
Who eats a full meal right before they workout, so your comment about the chickpeas and toilet is really a moot point.

Its great to know you agree with hormone loaded meat not being healthy, the rest of your babbling is a testament to your lack of wisdom on the subject, which was obvious by your post which was offensive. If you plan on getting personal and bring this thread down maybe you should take up a hobby.

peas,
MK9

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
it is a personal choice yeah

at the end of the day a person who does not eat meats are going to have trouble building muscle a lot faster than some one who does eat meat. soy proteins, plant proteins are incomplete..look up the absorptions rates I have known this for years as I have a book on it.. and no way absorb like meats. Whey absorbs the most like 90 something...then stuff like beef, foul, when you get down to nuts and beans and such it is only like 43 % or something and they are incomplete.. I eat 370 grams of protein a day from whey and meat and I do not count the protein in legumes, beans etc I do not count this protein because they really do not do much for muscle growth in my opinion.
Its not impossible to build muscle on a vegetarian diet, after all its the amount of protein you consume, and how many people on this board or anywhere does not use a protein supplement to increase their intake? This was suggested in an earlier post.
Personally I don't buy into the "You gotta eat meat to get big", you just have to eat right, and train right, after all protein builds muscles and regardless of the source it is still helpful.

If the opening poster is looking for a vegetarian solution, perhaps it would be a good idea to share with them information to assist in that, dont you think?
We should be sticking to the topic instead of trying to proselytize them into eating meat and go along to get along.. Nothing worse than conforming.
MK9

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
i used to know these kids that were raised hare krishna's (theres a big community of them on the east side of detroit where i grew up) that worked out at my gym, these kids had never eaten meat in there whole entire lives, and yet were ridiculously strong, i seen them chest pressin 100lb dumbbells with ease, so i think its definetly possible to get strong on a veggie diet you just have to be diligent with what you eat and consume COMPLETE PROTEINS. I could never do it, just sayin, don't get discouraged....

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
of course it can be done against all odds.

point being a person is making it harder for yourself to build muscle verses if a person was taking in meats.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Quite easily mate, especially today when there are so many protein supplements available to help you meet your needs.

dealrocker - I'd read this awesome article first mate by Rosie (Guejsn) on basics of fat loss at her website:

Your carbohydrate and fat sources should follow closely the details in that article.

In terms of where your dietary protein needs change as a vegetarian, you'll need to plan harder to make sure you're getting a good balance of various sources of protein to meet your requirements.

Do you eat fish, eggs or dairy?

Good Sources of Vegetarian Protein:

Seitan (wheat gluten)
Soya/Tofu
Fish (pescatarian only)
Eggs (ovo-lactovarian)
Milk
Cheese (especially cottage cheese - ovo-lactovarian)
Legumes (beans, lentils, peas)

Hope this helps a bit mate.
along with this definetly goto the doctor get some blood work done see if your anemic.

also check cholesterol levels, i know some vegetarians whos cholesterol levels are extremely low which can also hinder hormone production.

get hormone panels done see where they are high amounts of soy can cause SHBG to increase and thus bind to free test basically making it inactive.

Look into grains that have all EAA's
examples include:
Quinoa
Amaranth
Buckwheat

how do you feel about protein powders?

make sure you try and get in enough protein per meal but make sure its HIGH bioavailability . if your eating signifigantly less protein with great bioavailability it makes up for it.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Who eats a full meal right before they workout, so your comment about the chickpeas and toilet is really a moot point.

Its great to know you agree with hormone loaded meat not being healthy, the rest of your babbling is a testament to your lack of wisdom on the subject, which was obvious by your post which was offensive. If you plan on getting personal and bring this thread down maybe you should take up a hobby.

peas,
MK9
Simply put, if this guy wants to loose weight/bulk up with a vegan diet. That's fine. It's just going to be much harder. I just don't like vegetarians. I shouldn't have let that cloud this guy trying to get help. My bad.

lowhmbre

lowhmbre

Awards
look at bill pearl hes a vegitarian. and built perfect in his day. 20inch guns. so cant be too bad. for me i dont know how you could be one thats just me though.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
look at bill pearl hes a vegitarian. and built perfect in his day. 20inch guns. so cant be too bad. for me i dont know how you could be one thats just me though.
Well he is a lacto-ovo vegetarian. So with dairy and eggs that's a little easier. Not going to see somebody get that big on soy.

ValorOfOne

ValorOfOne

Awards
I'll make the safe assumption that the individual who posted this thread was not looking for an arguement.

I myself am a Vegetarian,and I have no issues what so ever maintaining a lean and overall muscular appearance.

That said I follow my own basic rules of eating. I eat a alot, I eat 6 times a day, And I make sure that if I can eat it, I am eating it.

To be perfectly honest, 90% of my diet consists of vegetables and assorted types of rice. The remaining 10% comes from soy and would be protien boosts from already uneeded sources.

I hope my opinion helps.

Flame on.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A cyanide capsule would be the best supplement for a vegetarian IMO. If one doesn't do the trick, try two.

GICH!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I can see how vegetarians can gain muscle

Starchy veggie post workout with a whey shake can definetly be a deciding factor plus bioavailability of egg and whey being sop high protein consumption doesn't have to get soo high

AnabolicFrenz

Awards
Well he is a lacto-ovo vegetarian. So with dairy and eggs that's a little easier. Not going to see somebody get that big on soy.
Yeah that and he took steroids, even though he spoke against it often. So my advise would be to take steroids to get big! lol jk

Brown rice and beans would be your best bet if you are one of them vegan types, if you dont mind eating unborn animals then def consume as many whole eggs as possible. Organic whole milk is great too.

Last edited:

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
yea i'd like to know what's a pure vegetarian?.. is the OP referring to veganism?

lacto-ovo vegetarians can get plenty of protein from eggs, whey and casein.
Vegans would have to use rice protein supplements as well as Quinoa amongst others.

I don't know this whole myth about "eat meat to be big/strong etc". Obviously meat has a whole lot of nutrients for the muscle building arsenal, but still. I know a jewish vegetarian couple (lacto-ovo) and the dude looks like a Rugby player. Carl Lewis said he had his best years as a vegan.

BBQ or Mildew

Awards
I think trueprotein.com is a sponsor here. They have several vegan protein powders such as gemma pea, hemp, etc. I went through an 85/15% gemma/hemp mix recently. Definitely has an "earthy" taste, but is not unbearable.

Check out veganfitness.net

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I am also a vegetarian, well at least all the animals I eat were vegetarians so I guess that makes me one too right ;)

-James

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above posters. Get bloodwork done, because IMO ingesting adequate Iron, B-12, EAA's, Zinc, Vitamin D, Chromium (greater than normal because of high CHO's effect in insulin processes), and Cholesterol (really only important for an anabolic minded individual) is difficult with a vegan diet unless meticulously planned.

Just as a heads up, the text that follows doesn't necessarily constitute scientific fact, my statements are conclusions I've reached through my own observations. These are my own personal views and if someone has contradictory science I welcome being corrected.

IMO you need get to a favorable body fat %, i'd say 8-13%. The stresses a CHO heavy diet imposes on insulin production and secretion I think are a recipe for developing diabetes without prudent diet planning. The high fiber and (i'm hoping) plant based oil's that would be ideally consumed will help idealize insulin secretion, but it is my view that a high starch intake is detrimental. If I was forced into becoming vegan because there was no animal meat left on the planet, I'd shoot myself. Just kidding. But the majority of starches (once again, IMO) should not be eaten unless their is enough adequate fiber and other macronutrients to slow down processing into the blood stream (I'm not a big fan of starches BTW). I know a few vegetarians who, while don't eat meat by definition, struggle with unwanted body fat even while practicing calorie restriction. I'm of the mind that the overabundance of starches in their diet effects insulin so negatively they can't lose the fat, instead maintaining their fat stores while catabolizing their muscle tissue.

My advice is to modify your diet so that you reach a healthy body composition and then take special care to minimize insulin response in your meal planning. Play around with higher plant oil intakes, try up to a fat% in your macros of 30%. If you start to gain unwanted fat, then ease back down. Genetics are going to be the main factor in determining how your body responds to different macro intakes, personally I have the best composition with ~30% Fat/ +30% Protein/ ~40% CHO. Focus on creating a diet supplying an abundance of amino acids from complimentary proteins while minimizing insulin responses.

Most people who practice the vegetarian lifestyle lack the necessary nutritional knowledge to have optimum health. If you have any questions or need to learn, you've come to the right place and I'm more then willing to share my knowledge. If you are serious about losing weight and putting on serious muscle mass, then I would seriously reevaluate your motivations for not eating meat. I'm not trying to convert you, but understand it will be extremely difficult if you are a practicing vegan. If you are lacto, ovo, or a combo, it will be much easier.

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
PM this guy. He is a vegetarian who seems to have his diet down.

jacked475

Awards
The definition of a pure vegetarian differs from country to country. Lacto vegetarians (Dairy, no Eggs, No gelatin) are considered pure vegetarians in India.(I'm half Indian so that's my stab at that), whereas in the US (California, that's where i'm at right now) most people think of vegans when someone mentions pure vegetarians.

rob88

Awards
I have been a vegetarian since I was born and I have never had a problem gaining muscle. Im not saying that I wouldn’t be bigger if I ate meat but I have wrestled throughout college at 184 and have never been out muscled. I recommend eating seitan it is pretty much pure protein. I also recommend a good protein shake I take a whole food supplement shake made by standard process which only has 10g per serving but it is much more absorbable than the 50g protein shakes out there.

orangerain

Awards
I went to one talk/lecture on nutrition and they discussed L-Carnitine. According to the speakers, L-Carnitine works best for weight loss if you are a vegetarian. However, it won't work effectively for meat eaters. You might want to try that out. :)

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
The best diet plan for a vegetarian is simple-

don't be a vegetarian. You have to eat meat. The only way I could justify any type of a vegetarian lifestyle is if you had PKU-which by the looks of it you dont.

so just dont be a vegetarian. your killing yourself in the long run to look like oscar meyer on two toothpicks.