Tuna fish

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Tuna fish

Just wondering how much is too much. Lately i've been eating it everyday at work. Isn't there some concern with high levels of mercury or was that just media overhype?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.
    Answers

really don't think a can or two or three a day can cause any damage due to mercury.. i'm pretty sure you would have to eat pounds of tuna (you'd get sick of it first) to have to worry about any mercury issues..
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

ive read that its possible to get some poisoning if you rely on tuna as your main source of protein for at least 5 years or so. ive also read that its something that the body can usually take care of if you ever happen to be poisoned. once the doctor or whoever figures it out and the diet is changed, supposedly you can detoxify and recover.

but anyway try to switch it up a little. tuna is great and everything but bringing a chicken breast you cooked with last night's dinner isnt much harder than a can of tuna. i feel like the key to nutrition is variety, plus you dont have to take in 5 or so grams of unnecessary sodium with those tuna cans.
    •   

4. jim623

I may be wrong but I think the white tuna has more mercury in it. I try not to eat more than 3 a week. The tuna packed in olive oil is awesome.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jim623 View Post
    I may be wrong but I think the white tuna has more mercury in it. I try not to eat more than 3 a week. The tuna packed in olive oil is awesome.
    you sure its olive oil? so many places ive been to (restaurants/salad bars) have olive oil, then you ask if its 100% and they say its half soybean or canola or some other $hit lol

i cant see the manufacturers trying to give you a healthy boost with 100% extra virgin olive, most likely a mix of some sort. but who knows
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I try to remember to take NAC periodically when I'm eating a lot of tuna. It can potentially aid with mercury chelation/detox. Problem solved.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  7. jim623

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you sure its olive oil? so many places ive been to (restaurants/salad bars) have olive oil, then you ask if its 100% and they say its half soybean or canola or some other $hit lol

i cant see the manufacturers trying to give you a healthy boost with 100% extra virgin olive, most likely a mix of some sort. but who knows
    Good point, I'm gonna look into that.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. controlled labs new fish oil and fish burps big time
    By benjiman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
  2. Mercury in Tuna Fish
    By Killerkanadia in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
  3. Tuna... not your typical TUNA thread