Difference between protein shake and protein from meats

1wickd6

1wickd6

Awards
I typically use protein shakes to supplement meals containing natural protein. I have never really sat down and thought about the differences or benefits of one vs. the other until today.

I came into work today and forgot my lunch box with all of my meals, but I had a tub of protein here at work. I read the ingredients on the tub and found that each scoop or serving contained 20g of protein. I typically use 2 scoops per shake, equating to 40g of protein.

That said, what would happen if I drank shakes all day in place of any protein I would take in? (I dont plan on doing this, but am curious). Is there an advantage to eating a breast or two of chicken over mixing up a shake or two?

Any help with this would be appreciated! Thanks!

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
Due to working on the ambulance for 24hrs I used to be happy with a meal then a shake then a meal then a shake and so on. for me the shakes were better than nothing I suppose, but now that I've got a system in place (having enough food packed to eat every 3-4 hours) I have noticed a much better psychological boost. I feel better to. I don't even like resorting to meal replac bars anymore but will in a pinch. i personally feel much more satisfied eating real food rather than drinking it. I still use powders for my pre/post workouts and before I go to bed however (casein). The body knows best and my body prefers "real" food. The wallet does to.

1wickd6

1wickd6

Awards
Due to working on the ambulance for 24hrs I used to be happy with a meal then a shake then a meal then a shake and so on. for me the shakes were better than nothing I suppose, but now that I've got a system in place (having enough food packed to eat every 3-4 hours) I have noticed a much better psychological boost. I feel better to. I don't even like resorting to meal replac bars anymore but will in a pinch. i personally feel much more satisfied eating real food rather than drinking it. I still use powders for my pre/post workouts and before I go to bed however (casein). The body knows best and my body prefers "real" food. The wallet does to.

So, if I understand correctly, it is more of a personal preference rather than one being more or less beneficial than the other? If your body reacts better to supplementation then go that route, if your body prefers getting its nutrients via whole foods, then by all means, eat whole foods??

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
Whole foods are always a better source of protein than liquid sources.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
So, if I understand correctly, it is more of a personal preference rather than one being more or less beneficial than the other? If your body reacts better to supplementation then go that route, if your body prefers getting its nutrients via whole foods, then by all means, eat whole foods??
well you gotta understand the difference between the two. whey protein is made out of milk/cheese sediment and while it is as bioavailable as eggs, it is nowhere near as nutritious as food. Whole foods contain fiber, vitamins, minerals, different digestive enzymes, etc. Your body can not survive on drinking protein shakes, they even write that on the tub. The gut has very strong acids for digestion, and they are specifically designed to break down whole foods. if you dont give the gut any food but just whey, eventually it will start eating itself.

supplements are called supplements for a reason, to supplement an already nutritious diet. you should rely on shakes only during postworkout and whenever you cant get a solid meal in.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
For me at least, whole foods every chance thats possible just makes me "feel" better than even having replacements every other meal. But given the choice between going hours with no caloric intake and a protein shake, I'm drinking the shake. Although in that situation I usually defer to a meal replacement bar. It's just more fulfilling to eat imo. I do however always do powders upon awaking (which is when I workout) and post workout. I try to drink my fast digesting carbs upon awaking and post w/o as well. I'm into the maxy corn maize/ gatorade currently and am very satisfied.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With all due respect, please provide a source or reference for that statement. Not true at all. Thanks

The gut has very strong acids for digestion, and they are specifically designed to break down whole foods. if you dont give the gut any food but just whey, eventually it will start eating itself.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
With all due respect, please provide a source or reference for that statement. Not true at all. Thanks
I will use common sense to justify that. How about you do a real life study and take in nothing but protein shakes all day?
It is a fact that we have mostly hydrochloric acid in our gut, it is also a fact that the hydrochloric acid is designed to break down foods into smaller components. Whey shakes provide very little physical substance, the stomach needs more actual food to use that hydrochloric acid thats being secreted every day. Im no expert or doctor but in my opinion, if you drink just protein shakes with water that is not very far from starving yourself.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
well you gotta understand the difference between the two. whey protein is made out of milk/cheese sediment and while it is as bioavailable as eggs, it is nowhere near as nutritious as food. Whole foods contain fiber, vitamins, minerals, different digestive enzymes, etc. Your body can not survive on drinking protein shakes, they even write that on the tub. The gut has very strong acids for digestion, and they are specifically designed to break down whole foods. if you dont give the gut any food but just whey, eventually it will start eating itself.

supplements are called supplements for a reason, to supplement an already nutritious diet. you should rely on shakes only during postworkout and whenever you cant get a solid meal in.
x2 there is so much more in whole foods. The only times you should be taking a protien shake is when you wake up and post workout. Also, you want a mix of protiens not just one specific type.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
we are all making this topic sound simple.

its not.

Diverse sources of protein is the best way to give your body what it needs.
Unless somebody wants to write 3 pages of information about the different pro's and con's of each we are circle jerking. IMO