Is it toe nail fungus?

kevmac

Awards
I started marathon training about 6 months ago. After getting deep into it, I noticed one day that my second toe (next to the big one) on my right foot was pulling away from the toe. I immediately assumed that it was abused from the running (5-10 miles 3 x week). It then turned black a couple of weeks later. Another two weeks passed and it got yanked out and the new nail was busy growing underneath. So now I have had two nails pull out and the third is dark red underneath and appears to be pulling apart. I noticed that my left same toe is now showing a dark red spot as well. Any ideas? I soaked my feet in listerine in case of fungus but unsure if it is the case.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like a gangrenous infection, it could be flesh eating bacteria. Have you recently walked barefoot through manure? This could be the dreaded hoof and mouth disease that was thought to have been eliminated decades ago. Are the shoes you wear from a second hand store? No, this is worse than any fungus, get yourself to the hospital immediately!

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. Go take care of this. It sounds much more serious than nail fungus, which is simply irritating at its worst.

kevmac

Awards
The first guy sounded like he was being an ass, but maybe he's serious :261:

To clarify, the nails came out of the toe in case I wasn't clear (but obvious). And it isn't a big deal yet. The nails are small and don't amount to much and my feet are in model shape otherwise :fing02:

So Knowbull if you don't want to be the house b!tch then back your sh!t up :afro:

I'm asking if any runner has dealt with lost nails because of the hard abuse on the toes. I just got superfeet and it has not been certain if it helped or hurt.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Toe nail loss is not that uncommon, especially if your shoes aren't that large since your feet swell a little while exercising. I have a few references in some of my textbooks, however an online source would be simply googling it . It's often the 2nd toe since it can be as long ,if not longer than your big toe. It's from the impact when your toe slides into the front of your shoe. Anyways read up on it and you will have your diagnosis and solution :cheers:

kevmac

Awards
Yeah I did that before reading your post. It seemed weird though and that's why I asked. I wouldn't have thought about fungus except for the black part and that's why I started with that thought. I'm still going to do some home aid fungus treatment because I read about it and it sounded necessary for cleaning the filth on the feet :chairshot:

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The first guy sounded like he was being an ass, but maybe he's serious :261:

To clarify, the nails came out of the toe in case I wasn't clear (but obvious). And it isn't a big deal yet. The nails are small and don't amount to much and my feet are in model shape otherwise :fing02:

So Knowbull if you don't want to be the house b!tch then back your sh!t up :afro:

I'm asking if any runner has dealt with lost nails because of the hard abuse on the toes. I just got superfeet and it has not been certain if it helped or hurt.
Dude, always see a Doctor when something is turning black anywhere on your body, it can spread like wildfire and may need to be amputated, Any Doctor worth his papers would tell you the same thing, the toes you save could be your own. Its just my opinion. Im not a Doc.

kevmac

Awards
No problem, I should have searched deeper anyway. :type: Sometimes we get a paranoid idea and it grows. I doubt fungus now thank GOD :rocketwhore: