HELP MUSCLE CRAMPS

ballin15

Awards
WHENEVER I AM RUNNING MY LEGS CRAMP UP SO BAD I CANT GO ANY FURTHER DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE CRAMPS THANK YOU FOR HELP

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
cramps can be caused by dehydration make sure you get enough liquids... and stop using CAPS!

jim623

WHENEVER I AM RUNNING MY LEGS CRAMP UP SO BAD I CANT GO ANY FURTHER DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE CRAMPS THANK YOU FOR HELP
Be sure and do about a 10 minute warmup and a lot of stretching. Also, a 10 minute cool down, depending on how much running you do.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I've read potassium helps. Try a banana 30 minutes prior to your run.

ballin15

Awards
ok yhank you for your help i drink a gallon of water a day

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
make sure you drink a bunch of water especially a couple hours before the run. try to drink something with salt (gatorade, etc) afterwards to stabilize the plasma levels. also a gallon a day might not even be enough, especially if you excessively sweat during the run. I try to drink a little more, especially on exercise days.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
ok yhank you for your help i drink a gallon of water a day
make sure you drink a bunch of water especially a couple hours before the run. try to drink something with salt (gatorade, etc) afterwards to stabilize the plasma levels. also a gallon a day might not even be enough, especially if you excessively sweat during the run. I try to drink a little more, especially on exercise days.
x2 potassium helps with cramps and you lose a lot of sodium when you sweat so drink some gatorade

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
What everyone said ^^^

Potassium (Bananas) + Gatorade + Water = No cramps

Also, make sure you stretch a lot AFTER the run. It's more important to stretch after than before especially if you run a lot.

TheDiesel85

TheDiesel85

Awards
What everyone said ^^^

Potassium (Bananas) + Gatorade + Water = No cramps

Also, make sure you stretch a lot AFTER the run. It's more important to stretch after than before especially if you run a lot.
bananas help alot with muscle cramps, atleast for me

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Agree with whats been posted already, just want to add:

maybe try adding a taruine supplement for a couple of weeks, see if that makes a difference. Just a thought.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
There are many theories as to why muscle cramps occur and a consensus points to an underlying cause from multiple origins, such as: dehydration, electrolyte balance, biomechanical inefficiency.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found that taking calcium/magnesium supps made cramps worse. I probably had enough in my diet already.

AnabolicFrenz

Awards
Agree with whats been posted already, just want to add:

maybe try adding a taruine supplement for a couple of weeks, see if that makes a difference. Just a thought.

Taurine will definitely help. My girlfriend used to get foot cramps a lot, I put her on cal/mag, had her drink fluids, eat something with sodium and take taurine. The taurine helps absorb the other nutrients and keep your muscles from cramping up.

Heres some info I have saved in my supp docs folder (forget where I got it all from, probably on here somewhere or BB com):

-Taurine: Taurine is an amino sulfonic acid that is found in high levels in the skeletal and heart muscles of humans,as well as in white blood cells, and the central nervous system. Taurine aids the movement of potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium in and out of cells and thus helps generate nerve impulses.
Muscle pumps/cramping occurs when there is a disruption of the movement of these electrolytes in and out of muscle cells. See below for a more detailed explanation of the pathway. Dosing: (5-6) grams/daily can be taken to help limit excessive muscle pumps/cramping that may occur. I recommend dosing both pre(3 grams)/post(3 grams)workout.

-Fluid/electrolyte intake: It is also very important that you keep your fluid and electrolyte (sodium,potassium,c alcium,magnesium) intake very sufficient throughout the day. Fluid/electrolyte loss through training depletes interstitial fluids (basically the fluid that lies outside of the cells) which also attributes to muscle pump/cramping issues, and here's how:

Painful muscle pumps/cramps occur due to loss of the osmotically active particles (mainly NaCL or salt) outside the cell within the interstitial spaces. This causes a disturbance in the osmotic balance (pull) of fluid moving in and out of muscle cells. This then results in muscle cells excessively swelling (because they contain more osmotically active particles and fluid) and you develop very painful pumps.
This process can also lead to problems with the calcium pump inside muscle cells. This will cause VERY painful cramps due to the muscle being locked in a contractive state. This is why adequate fluid and electrolye intake during training is very important to maintain this balance and prevent these issues.