How many grams of fat a day?

tshaw024

Awards
I want to run between 2500 and 3000 cals a day. I weigh 215 and want to slowly cut bodyfat while slowly adding lean muscle. I'd like to maintain my current weight. Currently I'm around 400 grams of protein, 75 carbs, and 90 grams of fat. Should I go lower on the fat, add a few more carbs, etc?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
about half ur body weight in fat grams and about 330g of protein per day

carbs vary depending on weight loss,

most complex questions sometimes have the simplest solutions :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yea 400 is a little excessive, almost 2gs per 1 lb of bodyweight. unless you are running anabolics I cant see you being able to absorb it all.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
500 calories makes a big difference. It's the difference between maintaining and gaining for some people. Focus more on that first. That being said...

Lower your carbs and protein. With only 75g carbs a day you may as well look at a keto diet. Up the fiber, drop the protein to ~190-200 and put your fats at 190g.

If you keep your protein that high (400g, wtf? Are you using a hormonal? Then that's too much.) your body is just going to use it like it uses carbs, and it can start to add fat. Again, since your body doesn't need that protein, it will store it for later, as fat.

Focus more on whole foods that are moderate in protein and high in fat. Some of the best ones that I utilize are walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Since we're dealing with fats and protein 'lean meat' is not necessary, save your money. Using olive oil in cooking, or just a tablespoon will provide ~15g fat (135 calories)

Increase your fat and lower your protein, you will be surprised.

tshaw024

Awards
How can protein turn into fat? That doesn't make any sense

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering the same thing
Well theoretically excess amino acids may be converted to fat for storage, even though it is more likely to happen from excess carbohydrates. More importantly your liver has to process all that protein and for non steroid users 400 gs is only going to put extra strain on the liver. Upping the fat intake and lowering protein just a little bit would be beneficial.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well theoretically excess amino acids may be converted to fat for storage, even though it is more likely to happen from excess carbohydrates. More importantly your liver has to process all that protein and for non steroid users 400 gs is only going to put extra strain on the liver. Upping the fat intake and lowering protein just a little bit would be beneficial.
To be more correct the protein will/ can convert to carbohydrate and in turn can lead to excess calories and you being in an overfed state which will increase acetyl co a and glycerol production leading to fattuy acid and trigluyceride synthesis

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
To be more correct the protein will/ can convert to carbohydrate and in turn can lead to excess calories and you being in an overfed state which will increase acetyl co a and glycerol production leading to fattuy acid and trigluyceride synthesis

well said.