Anabolic Diet Question

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

Anabolic Diet Question

So I have bee running the AD for three weeks right now. I did the first two weeks of hell and and I am currently in week 4. The problem I am having is my weight, at day before carb up, is the same as it has been, 224lb. I am 5'8", 224 and 20%bf. I want to lean out. I have been tracking my macros on fit day and have been sticking to between 70-60%F and 30-40%P. I have been getting about 3000 cals per day. My gym performance has been great. Lifting alot stronger. I want to lose at least 20 lbs and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why I am not dropping weight? I do a single day carb up on Saturday after depletion workout on Friday. Carb up is a mix of simple and complex carbs to about 3500cal. I do have thyroid issues and was wondering if that could be inhibiting my weight loss. Any suggestions?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

hey man it looks like you've got the diet down. i may be wrong but i think the reason your not losing weight is because of the amount of calories your taking in...do you know what your maintenance is?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

I really have no idea what my maintenance is. Because of recent health issues, e.g thyroid and low testosterone, it fluctuates. I have maintained on as low as 1500 cals per day. It is strange though that I maintain on 3000 as well. I think I may switch it up a bit and do a 50/50 split on fat & protein. I am in the gym 6 days per week and do cardio every one of those days, typically eliptical and walking a couple miles.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.95%

Like mentioned before I would double check your calorie intake. Secondly, I am cutting as well on the diet now since March and I keep my ratio at about 50/50 fat and protein. Some days the ratio may change a little but I keep it around that. Also, try not to go by weight, go by the mirror. My weight has actually not dropped really too much from the first couple of weeks but I have definitely leaned out. Hope this helps!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.9%

like the others on here im not "sure" why ur not losing weight, but the fact that u have a thyroid issue sends up a red flag to me- a low carb/carb depletion diet suppresses ur thyroid as is, thus compounded w/ a pre existing condition i imagine does not help- as for ur calorie intake on ur carb depletion days not sure if thats the culprit as i use it myself (bumping up the fats and protein) and it works great- i would definitely look into the thyroid thing- perhaps go back to a "normal" meal program with a good split and just keep an eye on ur kcal intake a day which ultimately is the reason for solid weight loss

hope this helps
    cheers-
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

I am on thyroid meds. T3 & T4 are in range my TSH is like 10. The doc really has not figured out why it is messed up. Care to explain why a low carb diet is bad for a person with thyroid issues?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.2%

definately cut back on the fat somewhat... 50/50 would be an appropriate change.. try that and see how that goes, if u are still not dropping weight maybe cut back on over all cals a lil
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

Quote Originally Posted by punxweb View Post
    I am on thyroid meds. T3 & T4 are in range my TSH is like 10. The doc really has not figured out why it is messed up. Care to explain why a low carb diet is bad for a person with thyroid issues?
    I dont think he meant a low carb diet, i think he meant dieting in general will suppress your thyroid. Its your bodies reaction to you losing weight
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

I would like to further understand how any diet can reduce you thyroid? What exactly is it reducing? T4, T3, or other things? When you say diet are you just referring to eating under maintenance calories?
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I have been on the diet for 19 months. I lost about 100lbs. and 16.5" on my waist, while maintaining most of my strength. The diet works, plain and simple. At 224lbs, you should be eating about 2700 calories. Keep your percentages where they are, about 60% fat, 35% protein. Why are you only doing 1 carb day? Do 2, continue to do 2 until it no longer works. Don't make any changes. Have you done any measurements yet? The first 2-4 weeks for me, I gained 5 lbs., yet lost 2" on my waist. Just allow it to work, be patient.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

lol @ cutting on 3000 cals.

also, you should absolutely not be doing a refeed every week at 20% bodyfat while eating 3000 cals a day. it should be more like 11-14 days.

another option ( UD 2.0 style) would be to cut down to 1400 cals for 3-4 days, then 'refeed' for 2 or 3 days at 3200 cals or so, then go back down to 1400 cals for a few days. keep repeating.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

What caloric intake one should be taking in seems like it is all over the road. I agree I should probably reduce the calories a bit. The reason I only do 1 carb day is I really do not feel like I need it. I am lifting strong the rest of the week so I would assume my glycogen levels are adequate. The other reason for only one carb day is I hate carbs! I have not done any measurements. The first two weeks I did feel like the pants were looser. I would say that is not the case now as they seem average. I will do some measurements tonight. I have a hard time going 2 weeks between carb ups. I get massive migraines. Soon, have you tried the UD 2.0 with any success?
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

My first post in months and it's only fitting I jump on a keto thread.

Few questions.

What are your carb loads like? If they are too much you will be gaining fat back.
    Do you think you look physically better?

Beast is right, at 20 percent body fat 1 carb load a week is too much. If you feel fine you can even benefit off of one large 200-400 carb meal every 11-14 days rather than a full day of carb loading.

Keep in mind also, one function of a keto diet is a drop in t3 levels. Taking meds to increase thyroid levels might impede on one of the functions that a ketogenic diet achieves. But its just one of several bodily adaptions to a ketogenic diet.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I agree with the others on sticking with the diet plan. Just lower your calories. Drop them to 2500 and see what happens. You can also add in a bit more cardio if you need to. The diet plan works, just lower your cals and stick with it.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.07%

I dropped my cals to 2300 - 2600 and increased my red meat intake. I have dropped two lbs in two weeks. Not bad. My carb load is only one day and basically consists of 3 high carb meals. Mixed simple and complex. Not exceeding the same caloric intake as any other day.

I have to continue to take my thyroid meds. My TSH is high. I have normal T3 and T4 levels yet my TSH is at 10. Sucks! I take the thyroid meds to supress the TSH. Anyone ever had the same problem?
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

Quote Originally Posted by punxweb View Post
    I dropped my cals to 2300 - 2600 and increased my red meat intake. I have dropped two lbs in two weeks. Not bad. My carb load is only one day and basically consists of 3 high carb meals. Mixed simple and complex. Not exceeding the same caloric intake as any other day.

I have to continue to take my thyroid meds. My TSH is high. I have normal T3 and T4 levels yet my TSH is at 10. Sucks! I take the thyroid meds to supress the TSH. Anyone ever had the same problem?

thats good weight loss, 1 lb a week is usually what I aim for.
    keep losing it nice and slow.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anabolic Diet Question
    By punxweb in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
  2. Anabolic diet question
    By QuincyRed in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 01:46 AM
  3. anabolic diet question
    By calidood in forum Nutrition / Health