Heartburn / Acid Reflux.

Rivethead

Rivethead

Awards
I get massive heartburn from the smallest things, sometimes even just water in excess will do it. Seems like everything i eat these days does it. I usually eat tums when it happens but i am finally looking to get up off my lazy ass and do something about it.

Anyone take any over the counter stuff that doesn't just suppress but can actually help in the long run with repair? Ive been reading about a few but if anyone has any personal opinions id love to hear em. I know there's prescription stuff to do this, but that stuffs pretty pricey.

TaPo31

Awards
In order to repair the damage that the acid does to your eso****us, you have to first stop it from getting there. If it is not as simple as avoiding a simple food, your best bet will be some sort of ppi. Your doctor will be best be able to determine what works best for you. If nothing else, I would look at something like omeprazole, which can be obtained OTC.

DenDestroys

Awards
Bro, I was in the same boat as you. I was getting it from drinking water and stuff. I seen my doctor and he put me on Zantac 150, well, this didn't work for ****. I went back to him and he prescribed me Prilosec, and by the way, go to your doctor about it. He can save you a lot of money by getting your heartburn medicine through prescription instead of paying OTC for it. He has me trying Prilosec for 8 weeks to see if that heals me, then I will taper off to see if I still get it.

Some things he told me though, was, if you let it go for too long it can cause ulcers in the throat and eventually lead to cancer. Another thing, heartburn medicine prevents the body from producing red blood cells after continous use, because they need an acidic environment to produce and that's not possible when taking these meds. So, if I end up taking these for a long time I would just have to rely on b12 shots.

Prilosec is just once a day in the morning, whenever, and it works all day long. I know how bad acid reflux sucks, but prilosec is definitley a lifeseaver in this situation. I use to go the homeopathic way and take a shot of apple cider vinegar once it started to come on, but in reality, I cannot always have that emergency shot of ACV on hand.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
certain foods will set it off but so will laying down after you eat or laying down and eating.

try waitng 30-60min after a meal before you lay down see if that helps

maybe some calcium carbonate (tums)

Rivethead

Rivethead

Awards
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm definitely gonna go see my doc about it then. Seems to be the consensus. I hope i CAN repair this i have been ignoring it for a long time but recently its started interfering with my sleep etc.. And just becoming more of a general f'n pain in the a**.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I suffer from frequent heartburn. If it seems to get worse at night when you lay down wedge a 2x4 on the 4" side under each of the upper legs of your bed. By increasing the height of the head of your bed 4", which isn't totally noticeable or uncomfortable, you keep the acid away from the e-s-o-p-h-a-g-u-s (hyphenated so as not to get **** out). I've been on prilosec, prevacid, and zantac. Prevacid worked pretty well if you remember to take it daily. Definitely go with an rx. If you have health insurance the prescription stuff is MUCH cheaper, usually a $10 co-pay for a month's supply instead of $80 for 2 week's supply. Unfortunately, if 3 months of more of medication does not resolve the problem your doc might tell you you need to have an endoscopy.

find a complete list of heartburn meds here:
http://www.healthsquare.com/nav_indices/heartburn_index.htm

Rivethead

Rivethead

Awards
Unfortunately, if 3 months of more of medication does not resolve the problem your doc might tell you you need to have an endoscopy.

I just read about endoscopy's, that does not sound like fun =/

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Can't imagine it is. I've been told several times to go for one and I'm a jerk and just keep putting it off. Eventually I'll have to tho.

JM0

JM0

Awards
I have acid reflux and have been on Prilosec or Aciphex (better in my case) for years now. Definietly go to the doc, you won't regret it.

As far as the endoscopy goes it was a piece of cake. They put you under then put a tube w/ a camera down your throat into your stomach to check for damage or whatever. You wake up not feeling anything so it is not a big deal at all. After the endoscopy they just told me that there were no ulcers but they saw the signs of acid reflux and I am just going to be on medication indefinitely.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 2
Male Anti-Aging Medicine 12
matt8483 Nutrition / Health 27
warpyfunch Anabolics 9
BigToke Training Forum 8