How much Protein can you really digest?

tshaw024

Awards
I have heard so many different things about how much protein you can or can't digest in one single serving. Some say 17 grams, others 30 grams, others say there is no limit. So how much protein can I have in one shake without wasting any?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
id say most research points to somwhere around 20-30 grams but everyones body is different. i wouldnt make a shake with more than 30-40 gs. might as well spread out the protein intake throughout the day

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
most would say 40g per serving... if u do too much less ull never hit ur goal for the day. Ie: 20g per meal X 6 meals = 120g a day which is most likely not enough unless u weigh 100lbs or something lol.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yea but isnt the daily recommended amount also subjective? some people say 1g per lb some do 3...etc

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I personally snort my whey, 1000% increase in absorbtion. i was in venice beach last year and saw dudes do it

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
u sure it was whey?
Does the kid down the block drop the whey off, $80 a gram. Gets a great pump for the gym when you snort it, huh?:147:

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
hahaha yea man thats the good whey. insane pumps. i keep sweating and lookin out the window though

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
lol...good stuff. i'm waiting for the top secret but soon to be relaesed whey protein suppositories. no one is suppose to know about these, but a source "leaked" the info. to the public.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I've read, between 30-40. I've also read that there was a research test done that showed it took the person 4hrs to digest a serving of 40g of Whey.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I think the way this question is posed is incorrect. You can digest as much as you eat.

What the studies looked at was maximal protein synthesis, and that was found at 20g per meal according the latest research that I saw.

That is not to say you don't get other benefits from consuming protein beyond 20g!!!!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
The amino acids are used for so many other bodily functions.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
hahaha yea man thats the good whey. insane pumps. i keep sweating and lookin out the window though
ah, a "window ninja", i used to drive the freeways "de-coding" license plates

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
The amino acids are used for so many other bodily functions.
ya in some ways you can think of it as a minimal amount of protein to be consumed at each meal, and if you look at some of the most respected diet guidelines (berardi with precision nutrition as one example), he sets a minimum of 20g.

Coincidence?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
most would say 40g per serving... if u do too much less ull never hit ur goal for the day. Ie: 20g per meal X 6 meals = 120g a day which is most likely not enough unless u weigh 100lbs or something lol.
exactly,

in the greater scheme of things, you want to get your total daily protein at a particular level. so what you do each time is really a moot point until you satisfy the daily total.

it's the same thing as asking if 50 grams of carbs is enough for post workout if you work legs, but is it too much if you just did arms? what is the max you can "absorb" after a particular workout? it's a bit too complex, so you are better off just working on your daily totals.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I've read, between 30-40. I've also read that there was a research test done that showed it took the person 4hrs to digest a serving of 40g of Whey.
Nah that carnt be right, Whey is consumed as a post wo drink with simple sugars to get into the muscles asap and as far as i understand it , is digested in 90 mins.

If your looking for something which takes longer to digest , i suggest calcium caseinate /micellar casein .

Incidentally i have just googled "how long does it take to digest whey protein "and there are conflicting answers .How the test was carried out you havent made clear.Was it one individual or several and the mean average taken?This also applies to the 90 mins too.However what would be interesting to know is how quickly whey in the form of amino acids enters the muscle.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
snorting is a thing of the past. i shoot it up now.
Christ man, aren't you worried about contamination? Personally, I think it would be much wiser to take your protein sublingually... adding a liposome delivery and placing a pinch at a time between your cheek and gum, until all 40 grams have been absorbed.

Check the logs, brah.

purebred

as far as absorption, that is not the issue here. You absorb most everything; 'experts' throw around the term absorption, but they don't even know what they are referring to. Here is an excerpt from the article I wrote. If you guys want to see the whole thing maybe it's time to start asking the mags to put my articles in lol. I've tried everything I can possibly do to get them in the right way without begging and it doesn't seem to work.

" Many ‘experts’ or gym know it alls out there who will tell you to only consume “X” amount of protein at a meal because only “X” amount of protein can be absorbed by the body at a meal (I’m sure you’ve all heard this one before). Let this nonsense stop here and now. To begin with, this entire train of thought isn’t even on the correct track. Hell it didn’t even depart from the right train station! Assuming that you have a healthy digestive system the absorption of the amino acids from a meal containing protein is very efficient and almost never a limiting factor. Absorption only refers to nutrient uptake & absorption via the digestive track (most absorption occurring in the small intestine). If our digestive systems didn’t absorb most of what we eat than anytime you had a big meal you would have diarrhea like clockwork from the undigested material in the gut! It also makes very little sense from an evolutionary standpoint to be very wasteful with nutrients when primitive man may have only been able to eat one large meal in a day at times. Our species would not have survived very long if we were wasteful with nutrients and did not absorb amino acids beyond a certain level. In reality, the body has an extremely high capacity for amino acid absorption. What these people who spout this nonsense are really referring to is amino acid utilization. You see, even if we absorb 100% of the amino acids we ingest, that doesn’t mean they will all reach the skeletal muscle and input towards building muscle mass. In actuality a very small percentage are used for that role. The cells of the small intestine and liver extract a huge amount of amino acids for energy and their own synthesis of new proteins in first pass metabolism before they ever reach the bloodstream! Once in the bloodstream amino acids can also be taken up and utilized by other tissues such as the kidneys, heart, skin, etc. So it is not a question of how much protein/amino acids can be absorbed at a meal, rather the question is what level of protein at a meal gives the maximum benefit for muscle building? Essentially anything below this level would not maximally support muscle building, while at a protein intake above this level, the body would merely oxidize the excess amino acids for energy. "
next question. NO-Xplode anyone? Creatine a steroid? Protein and kidney stones? :)

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
"So it is not a question of how much protein/amino acids can be absorbed at a meal, rather the question is what level of protein at a meal gives the maximum benefit for muscle building? Essentially anything below this level would not maximally support muscle building, while at a protein intake above this level, the body would merely oxidize the excess amino acids for energy. "

So whats the answer?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
The timing of this would come into it as well. Whey straight after a workout would digest faster than later in the day. 4 hours seems a bit long though.

I drink a whey shake straight after breakfast now, which is post workout for me, and drink an amino acid combination during the workout. No stomach issues.

If i have a shake later in the day it doesn't sit the same and i can have digestive issues on occassion.

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Depends on if your on a AS cycle or natural... I read you can use up to 75g's per meal on a good cycle. But naturally i keep mine around 40-60g per meal or shake.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
"So it is not a question of how much protein/amino acids can be absorbed at a meal, rather the question is what level of protein at a meal gives the maximum benefit for muscle building? Essentially anything below this level would not maximally support muscle building, while at a protein intake above this level, the body would merely oxidize the excess amino acids for energy. "

So whats the answer?
It's probably best not to over think it.

If you're hungry then eat. Your body will know what it wants and how much it wants. If it's time for steak or chicken but you feel like pasta, then eat pasta. Unless you're cutting or on some other specific diet.

Push the plate away when you've had enough.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
haha - yeah i get pumped for the gym but i'm too paranoid to leave the house.:paranoid:

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
purebred, where did u find that article u quoted? is there more? sounds like a good read

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let science be right..science says no more than 40 grams hahaha All I know when I started taking in 1.5 plus grams of protein I became larger, denser and packed more muscle than when i took in one gram of protein per pound of body weight. I would rather be a big wrong man then a small right man.

chsfootball95

Awards
ugh i take like 50 grams in my shake with about 30 ounces of milk.... so thats 80 grams...am i wasting then?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ugh i take like 50 grams in my shake with about 30 ounces of milk.... so thats 80 grams...am i wasting then?
no.

science is wrong on this one. I have been trainign seven years now when I upped the protein i gained bigtime.

i personally do not like milk though it messes with my stomach