danger in doing the anabolic diet?

scott2hott99

Awards
Hey guys, i started the anabolic diet today. I noticed i seem to be sweating more is that normal? i also felt sluggish but im guessing thats just because i just started a high fat diet.

Anyways i was talking to a friend who took a nutrition class last year and "apparently" she did a paper on ketogenic diets.
She proceeded to tell me that I was going to
"f*** my metabolism up, i am going to have a huge chance of getting kidney stones, and overloading on protein can cause liver damage."

She said some of this was in her book and she also talked to 3 doctors and 2 dieticians and they said the same thing.

Nothing ive seen when researching this diet seems to really go along with what she saying but i wanted to know what you guys think.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, i started the anabolic diet today. I noticed i seem to be sweating more is that normal? i also felt sluggish but im guessing thats just because i just started a high fat diet.

Anyways i was talking to a friend who took a nutrition class last year and "apparently" she did a paper on ketogenic diets.
She proceeded to tell me that I was going to
"f*** my metabolism up, i am going to have a huge chance of getting kidney stones, and overloading on protein can cause liver damage."

She said some of this was in her book and she also talked to 3 doctors and 2 dieticians and they said the same thing.

Nothing ive seen when researching this diet seems to really go along with what she saying but i wanted to know what you guys think.
Yup. Its going to take a few days before your metabolism changes over to burning fat as its primary source of energy.

[RANT] On a side note, doctors don't know **** about nutrition. They take an intro class in college, then its immediately onto medical intensive courses. Doctors should not be giving nutritional advice, there are people who go college to give exactly that and they are called nutritionists. And they take more then intro level classes in nutrition.[/RANT]

As far as f***ing up your metabolism, I haven't seen any conclusive evidence suggesting that and I have never seen any anecdotal evidence from them hundreds of logs of ketogenic type diets that exist to suggest any such thing.

As far as kidney stones and liver damage... Once again, looking at the bodybuilding community on a whole, all the anecdotal evidence really contradicts this. If you have pre-existing kidney conditions then its better to listen to caution, but if you hydrate yourself properly and maintain a lifestyle that doesn't stress your kidney and liver IMO i don't see any issue occurring.

Besides, the Anabolic Diet is a controlled ketogenic diet.

BTW this doesn't constitute medical advice.

EDIT: And if you are really worried about this, get tests done to determine it. If complications do arise, you can avoid damage before they escalate.

And if you haven't already, I would suggest getting periodic blood work done while on the AD.

scott2hott99

Awards
[RANT] On a side note, doctors don't know **** about nutrition. They take an intro class in college, then its immediately onto medical intensive courses. Doctors should not be giving nutritional advice, there are people who go college to give exactly that and they are called nutritionists. And they take more then intro level classes in nutrition.[/RANT]
haha :laugh2: im gonna have to agree with you. i was just wondering what everyone thought...i may see if i can get bloodwork done later on when im at home not at school

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My bloodwok on keto diet is always infinetly better then when I'm not. And that INCLUDES liver function.

I'm a nutrition major. All my nutriion classes are done except for food service and food tech trends (talking bout food packaging nonsense)

They only teach what the ada says they don't go "out of the box" and read the research and biochemistry of it. One of my nutrition professors with a doctrine didn't know the difference between ketosis and keto acidosis.

Shows how much most of these people know. If u research hi carbohydrate diets you'll see that it can lead to nafld (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease). High triglycerides, insulin resitance, obesity, diabetes ect

I really hate how they teach it. But I like arueing and winning against these "professors". Ridiculous

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And side note... I spoke to a nutrition grad student who though only reason for olive oil was for vitamin e absorbtion. I laughed bit my tongue and left the bar before I choked her out

scott2hott99

Awards
haha sounds like those people know there stuff...she also tried telling me that i would lose muscle because i wasnt taking carbs and then got into an argument when i told her i would eat tons of carbs on the weekend and she told me i would get fat because i was taking in to many calories lol....

btw i still dont understand how people who know nutrition can be so uninformed on this kind of thing...i would love to see how your professor took that lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha sounds like those people know there stuff...she also tried telling me that i would lose muscle because i wasnt taking carbs and then got into an argument when i told her i would eat tons of carbs on the weekend and she told me i would get fat because i was taking in to many calories lol....

btw i still dont understand how people who know nutrition can be so uninformed on this kind of thing...i would love to see how your professor took that lol

Ask her these two questions

1) I know there are EFAs and EAAs (Essential Fatty Acids and Essential Amino Acids) can you show me any scientific evidence of there being any essential carbs? Ask her also how the Inuit have muscles given her statement.

2) Are you pro or against whole eggs as every 5 years you dietician dumbasses flip flop on it based on some lame studies and ignore real world history and I forget where we are right now.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I'm a nutrition major. All my nutriion classes are done except for food service and food tech trends (talking bout food packaging nonsense)

They only teach what the ada says they don't go "out of the box" and read the research and biochemistry of it. One of my nutrition professors with a doctrine didn't know the difference between ketosis and keto acidosis.

Shows how much most of these people know. If u research hi carbohydrate diets you'll see that it can lead to nafld (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease). High triglycerides, insulin resitance, obesity, diabetes ect

I really hate how they teach it. But I like arueing and winning against these "professors". Ridiculous
I'm in the same boat you are. I love the nutrition major, interesting classes, fun biochemistry, hot babes. Except the curriculum is based entirely around ADA bs complete with pocket protectors. Most of the professors are closed-minded fools and are vehemently opposed to anything supplement or bodybuilding related...

Too bad if they did their research they would realize nutrition in bodybuilding is about 20 years ahead of what they are spoon feeding to people who don't know any better.

And side note... I spoke to a nutrition grad student who though only reason for olive oil was for vitamin e absorbtion. I laughed bit my tongue and left the bar before I choked her out
The grad student TA for my nutrition class told the entire lecture that adrenaline was the chemical that activated epinephrine in the body. I almost got out of my seat and slapped the *****.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha. U learn imn advanced nutrition that initial shift of metabolism u use more aminos due to confusing fuel and lack of energy however once making the switch u use much less aminos and about 90% ketones. Ketones preserve muscle tissue. People are dumb. They need a METABOLIC PATHWAYS class. And DIET trend class

scott2hott99

Awards
Haha. U learn imn advanced nutrition that initial shift of metabolism u use more aminos due to confusing fuel and lack of energy however once making the switch u use much less aminos and about 90% ketones. Ketones preserve muscle tissue. People are dumb. They need a METABOLIC PATHWAYS class. And DIET trend class
hey man since you seem to know your stuff do you think the 12 day initiation period is necessary or would i be alright doing a 24 hr carb up the first weekend?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if this is your first time doing keto, then you are best to wait. once you've done keto a few times, your body slips into it way faster

scott2hott99

Awards
this is my second time doing it... alright ill probably wait it out then

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Always do 2 weeks on it before cheat meal also depends on carb intake prior to starting diet as well as training.

U can start it by doing a very low carb week with light full body 3x that week then go into

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you guys prefer TKD or CKD? I'm on TKD right now and am scared to make the leap to CKD. Ha.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
tkd is just it surrounding your workouts...

i like regular keto with styles taken from both sides AD and CKD

itzgambino

Awards
hey man since you seem to know your stuff do you think the 12 day initiation period is necessary or would i be alright doing a 24 hr carb up the first weekend?
it deff is neccessary, the point in waiting at least 2 weeks before your first carb load is to make sure that your body is adapted to running on fat as fuel and not carbs anymore. The first 2 weeks can be painful getting used to the diet lol but after that its smooth sailing!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
maybe it's the thermal effect of food? if protein is more costly to digest, I"m assuming some of the cost is the waste product of "heat"