No carb's

Davidlee

I am currently doing a lean bulk ,and I have decided to drop carbs as much as possible. Examples: Bread, oatmeal, brown rice, high protein cereal.. I am however, going to still eat veggies, eggs, meats, etc that contain carbs. I have read that my body will adapt and start getting my major energy from fats eventually.. FYI, I am not going on a no-carb diet or anything.. I will still be taking in healthy foods to keep my body tip top. Do you all think it will be okay? Besides eggs, what are some other breakfast foods that I can replace my oatmeal with..?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
On a low carb diet your body will shift its metabolic activity towards lipid metabolism instead of CHO. Gluconeogenesis will increase to try to supply muscles with plasma glucose and glycogen, as well as liver glucose. This will reduce your performance in the gym. Also, be sure that you are able to oxidize more fatty acids than you are taking in or you will store the remainder.

I don't recommend low carb diets.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Well you cant really bulk without carbs. If your body is in a carb deprived fat burning mode, you obviously won't be able to gain. By the way eggs and meats don't contain any carbs, mostly protein. If you want to cut down on carbs, by all means you should. Cut down on starches (bread, pasta, white rice) and leave good carbs like fruits and vegetables. Oatmeal is an essential element of bodybuilding, you shouldnt substitute it with anything. Find plain oatmeal instead of flavored if you want.

Anyway eggs + oatmeal make a great breakfast, Ive been a big fan for years. I think what you are trying to do is lean out and build some muscle. Like I said above, cut out starches and keep oats/fruits/non starch vegetables. Make fats a big element of your diet. Good sources of fats is fish oil, any type of nuts, salmon. That will definitely help.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For me breakfast is just another meal to me, i dont mind eating the same thing i eat meal 4 (2 pm) then i do with my 7 am meal (Meal 1). But red meats/fattier meats i like to eat earlier in the day so that i can burn off all the extra calories and keep my later meals real lean.

Examples breakfast meats:

Steak
Sausage
bacon (i like low sodium)
Pork
Beef (usually i go with 70/30 or 80/20 when real low carbs)
Sausage (chicken sausage is delicious)
etc.

A great bulking breakfast for me would be like:

Beef,sausage,bacon plus choice seasonings i know wont add many carbs... sauted in a pan with excess fat drained and then when cooked add some cheddar/monterey/mozarella cheese to bring it all together in ne amazingly calorically dense meal.

You can easily reach any caloric limit with this kind of tasty meal. And of course you need to monitor how much of each u take in so you dont take in 1/2 of your calories in one meal. But when i was eating 5000 calories a day...this breakfast was able to give give me 1000 calories easy.

At the end of the day you can eat some chicken breast...tilapia..tuna to get in some protein but none of the fat.

And remember the rule of thumb that for a lean bulk take in around 500 calories over your BMR and you bulk should stay pretty lean.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
and one question...what exactly are u doin for diet?

You said your not doing a no carb but your thread says no carbs

Whats your macro breakdown? And on low carb diets a carb re-feed day helps out tremendously. When i was bulking on a virtually no carb diet (30 grams a day) i got some clean gains and those re-feed days really made a difference.

Davidlee

I am trying to lean out completely and build muscle from there. I currently eat:
Meal 1. high protein cereal w/ skim milk or a bowl of oatmeal w/ 4 packs of splenda
Meal 2. whey protein shake (as long as it's the meal after workout)
Meal 3. 3 options ( 1 chicken breast w/ veggies and piece of wheat bread, or turkey
wheat with mustard, or 1 lean hamburger patty on wheat with mustard w/ veggies)
Meal 4. either whey protein shake, bowl of oatmeal, or turkey sandwich
Meal 5. with plain chicken sub on wheat ,or one of the options from meal 3.
Meal 6. (if necessary) can of tuna with mustard or 2 slices of turkey only
I want to drop the breads and cereal..
I will start eating eggs and oatmeal for breakfast.
I am not bulking yet. I'm trying to take in 300 calories less than my BMR which is 2000, so around 16 - 1700 a day. And I don't want to put on ANY extra bf.. Im not fat ,but I dont have visible abs yet either. So I want to lose the body fat and then start a long term bulk.. So I will get my carbs in the morning from oatmeal and the evening from veggies..? is that okay?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
if you are going to low carb, make sure when you do have your carbs focus them

1.) morning
2.) pre-workout
3.) post-workout

you can go fats/protein/fiber all your other meals

and like someone else said, gaining on low carbs is difficult

Davidlee

if you are going to low carb, make sure when you do have your carbs focus them

1.) morning
2.) pre-workout
3.) post-workout

you can go fats/protein/fiber all your other meals

and like someone else said, gaining on low carbs is difficult

I'm actually trying to lose a few % of body fat first then I will pick back up on carbs later on..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well you cant really bulk without carbs. If your body is in a carb deprived fat burning mode, you obviously won't be able to gain.
Why is that obvious? I've myself and others have bulked carbfree. Granted, often easier with carbs, but calories is calories. There is some help for anabolism from full ATP levels, but your body will generate ATP from the keytones. Only other thing is intracellular pressure from stored glycogen and stored water which may help with stretching fascia allowing easier growth but if you've lost that glycogen + stored water then at that moment your fascia is already larger than the muscle tissue inside :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Why is that obvious? I've myself and others have bulked carbfree. Granted, often easier with carbs, but calories is calories. There is some help for anabolism from full ATP levels, but your body will generate ATP from the keytones. Only other thing is intracellular pressure from stored glycogen and stored water which may help with stretching fascia allowing easier growth but if you've lost that glycogen + stored water then at that moment your fascia is already larger than the muscle tissue inside :)
Fair enough. I just never heard about people bulking carb free before. Learn something new everyday.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
dude your diet looks tight if you implement those changes. Eggs for breakfast and no bread will help.

Moniter yoru calories and make sure your going under BMR. 500 under a day can lead to around a pound of fat loss a week. Depending on how much fat you have you can do this for about 8 weeks and you should have some noticeable abs.

Cutting takes time. If you wanna speed it up look into a good cutting supp. Im using Recreate, Anabolic Pump and i will soon add in Vat Attack all from USP. I've been cutting for 2 weeks and using the USP products for a week and i can already see and feel a difference.

After that if you wanna lean bulk between 300-500 calories over BMR with high protein and mod carbs and lots of good fats will help ensure minimal fat.

You good?

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
instead of skim milk use half and half no lactose like 3 carbs instead of 12

Davidlee

sorry i havent replied but yeh man I wil check into half and half. And I am cutting all breads out of the picture starting today.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bulking definitely can be done carb free. I would include some (but basically only oats and fruit and maybe quinoa) morning and around workout. I have done this in cutting and it worked well to keep my workouts strong while in a deficit.

Most carbohydrates are processed and sticking with a lower carb diet is actually very healthy.

I would get a few more veggies is to help keep you body from being too acidic, plus the health benefits are too good to ignore :)

jim623

Dude you should mix that lean ground beef 50/50 with ground turkey, makes an awesome burger.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soldier0213 Nutrition / Health 11