1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

During a fast...

I am currently doing a 24 hour fast, for reasons of my faith. It has been a good LONG time since last I had performed this part of my faith. Question is, and I think I already know the answer, should I avoid all lifting/workout during a 24 hour period of fasting?

Normally I am thinking yes. I plan to fast at least one day a month from here on out, and just want to get a better idea for scheduling around it. Wondering if any other lifters deal with this intermixing of faith/lifting?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'd say avoid lifting as you won't be able to hit protein post-workout and will be fatigued during workout, which may lead to injury. If there is flexibility in your fast days do them on off-days. If you're feeling really crazy you can do cardio on fast days. Lots of fluids needed though. Are you permitted to drink any vitamin water or other caloric type beverage that may help deal with plummeting blood sugar?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    should I avoid all lifting/workout during a 24 hour period of fasting?

YES!! your body will have no energy, performance will suffer, cant repair no growth. i would do as little as possible so you dont expend any unnessessary energy.

and i pray to the iron god
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChemist View Post
    I'd say avoid lifting as you won't be able to hit protein post-workout and will be fatigued during workout, which may lead to injury. If there is flexibility in your fast days do them on off-days. If you're feeling really crazy you can do cardio on fast days. Lots of fluids needed though. Are you permitted to drink any vitamin water or other caloric type beverage that may help deal with plummeting blood sugar?
    I can drink any liquid. Had 2 cups of coffee already, I am just doing no food... I will probably pick up some vitamin water.

It is pretty flexible, very actually. But there is a slight chance I may get an uncurvable desire to have such a day out of nowhere(such as today).

I plan to keep it outside of normal lifting, and if I go on cycle I will hold off on fasting due to many reasons. But speaking on a normal day to day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by ccapone1153 View Post

and i pray to the iron god
    lol. I dont pray to iron, because I bend iron to my will

Thats pretty much what my opinion was about it. I was thinking maybe cardio would work, but I could see that draining me too much during this point in my life. Just looking into the facts. Common sense said no, and science backs it ^.^

Also it is sitll a workout, just of a different set of muscles
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%

I dont pray to iron, because I bend iron to my will
    i like that lol
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.04%

yea without proper post workout supplementation your cortisol levels will go through the roof, you will probably lose muscle.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.89%

I can drink any liquid. Had 2 cups of coffee already, I am just doing no food... I will probably pick up some vitamin water.

It is pretty flexible, very actually. But there is a slight chance I may get an uncurvable desire to have such a day out of nowhere(such as today).
    If you can have anything liquid are you allowed to have water with protein powder dissolved in it or is that cheating too much? If so, you could consider it a liquid protein diet for a day.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

If you can have anything liquid are you allowed to have water with protein powder dissolved in it or is that cheating too much? If so, you could consider it a liquid protein diet for a day.
    I would consider that cheating too much ^.^ I am just going to stick to the fast as normal. I did pick up a bunch of 20oz vitamin waters(well 4) 99 cent each
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

well USPLabs spoke about intermittent fasted workouts or whatever, and if you can drink anything, does that include BCAAs?
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    well USPLabs spoke about intermittent fasted workouts or whatever, and if you can drink anything, does that include BCAAs?
    probably . but the fast is almost over, and I got a bunch of food in the fridge for when I wake....oooohh yeah.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.89%

probably . but the fast is almost over, and I got a bunch of food in the fridge for when I wake....oooohh yeah.
    how was the break - fast?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.81%

Drink unfiltered apple juice when you fast it creates a vaccum in your intestines and can pull out gall stones. There is a great gallbladder cleanse recipe that i did recently involving some herbs for two weeks then apple juice, EVOO and lemon. Crazy stuff man but cool to revent any probs in ten years or something.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

how was the break - fast?
    Amazing..food tastes SO much better after such a day lol. Plus I accomplished alot of personal spiritual goals, or to you who dont like that lets go with "mental breakthroughs for personal strength" cant argue with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Drink unfiltered apple juice when you fast it creates a vaccum in your intestines and can pull out gall stones. There is a great gallbladder cleanse recipe that i did recently involving some herbs for two weeks then apple juice, EVOO and lemon. Crazy stuff man but cool to revent any probs in ten years or something.
    That is interesting, I may try that for my next one. Though I am sure I have no gall stones atm lol. A nice cleanse wouldn't hurt. Great info!
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.81%

Amazing..food tastes SO much better after such a day lol. Plus I accomplished alot of personal spiritual goals, or to you who dont like that lets go with "mental breakthroughs for personal strength" cant argue with that one.

That is interesting, I may try that for my next one. Though I am sure I have no gall stones atm lol. A nice cleanse wouldn't hurt. Great info!
    Dude i am 27 healthy and i had hundreds everyone does only they never know until its a problem. Its like saying i have 0 kilometers on my engine, its running, i drive so...... naturally that cant be true.

You may have few gallstones or you may only have enough that its not an issue today or for the next 15-20 years.... but you may avoid a potential problem with a tiny bit of effort and live better as a result.

I recently decided to do one, no reason on other than why not... and passed a few hundred stones.... from bee bee sized to grape and i have 0 gall bladder issues....

Its just a recommendation that i would make to anyone proactive about health. take care, god bless.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.09%

I've also done it before and I'm only 24 years old. It was my understanding that the apple juice should also be organic (apparently its better if its from organically grown apples). The malic acid in the apple juice (some people use whole green apples as well) is what dissolves and loosens the gallstones.

This type of cleansing also removes dangerous fats & toxic chemicals that become stored in the liver over time (toxins from preservatives in food, prescription medications, alcohol consumption, etc.).

I would consult a physician before doing this though, I've heard several stories of this type of cleansing actually bringing about gallbladder problems with people who had undiagnosed and/ or unrealized issues in this area.

Just my 2 cents,
    WB
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Dude i am 27 healthy and i had hundreds everyone does only they never know until its a problem. Its like saying i have 0 kilometers on my engine, its running, i drive so...... naturally that cant be true.

You may have few gallstones or you may only have enough that its not an issue today or for the next 15-20 years.... but you may avoid a potential problem with a tiny bit of effort and live better as a result.

I recently decided to do one, no reason on other than why not... and passed a few hundred stones.... from bee bee sized to grape and i have 0 gall bladder issues....

Its just a recommendation that i would make to anyone proactive about health. take care, god bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannabeBatman View Post
    I've also done it before and I'm only 24 years old. It was my understanding that the apple juice should also be organic (apparently its better if its from organically grown apples). The malic acid in the apple juice (some people use whole green apples as well) is what dissolves and loosens the gallstones.

This type of cleansing also removes dangerous fats & toxic chemicals that become stored in the liver over time (toxins from preservatives in food, prescription medications, alcohol consumption, etc.).

I would consult a physician before doing this though, I've heard several stories of this type of cleansing actually bringing about gallbladder problems with people who had undiagnosed and/ or unrealized issues in this area.

Just my 2 cents,
    WB
    good point SWG. I will have to give it a try, and see if I can pick up anything. I would much rather bite anything small in the but with some preventive car, than end up with the big brothers later in life.
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.25%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

What's one day a month, bro? Don't lift. Don't eat. Just pray. It's not too hard.

Similar Forum Threads

1. need sup help fast
    By RiptMasta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
  2. Fast tom or no use?
    By rrm in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
  3. add fat fast take it off fast?
    By rrm in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4