Differences in Pre & Post Workout Shakes? - AnabolicMinds.com

Differences in Pre & Post Workout Shakes?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Differences in Pre & Post Workout Shakes?

Just curious... I've been sitting around and been doing some reading and am a bit unsure.

At first, it seemed like some people suggest putting either dextrose/maltodextrin/vitargo in a post-workout shake but then others refute that saying that it's been disproven and not necessary.

I've kinda just been slapping protein powder, milk (or water seems to sit better in my stomach), 2 whole raw eggs, peanut butter, 1 cup Quaker Insant Oatmeal, and some olive oil in a blender and just slamming it down after a workout and then at night before I pass out (probably not such a good idea).

Now I've seen someone say that peanut butter and milk in a post-workout shake would have too much fat.

So would all that be okay in a pre-workout shake? And then I'd just replace the milk with water and cut out the peanut butter and olive oil in the post-workout shake?

Maybe throw a banana in there to replace the peanut butter or something?

Should I follow the same guidelines for the pre-workout shake that I would for the post-workout shake?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

i believe its all up to your body and how much you can handle. personally i always take liquid carbs pre workout and take a protien shake with milk and waxymaize after my workout. i honestly get the biggest gains when i make a home made weight gainer after each workout thats 50g whey 18oz whole milk a whole bananna and a tablespoon of natural pb. if my friend that weighs 150 were to take this he would gain mostly fat.. all up to your body
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

aswers in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by iDShaDoW View Post
    I've kinda just been slapping protein powder, milk (or water seems to sit better in my stomach), 2 whole raw eggs, peanut butter, 1 cup Quaker Insant Oatmeal, and some olive oil in a blender and just slamming it down after a workout and then at night before I pass out (probably not such a good idea).

wayyy to much fat for post workout... cut ALL fat

Now I've seen someone say that peanut butter and milk in a post-workout shake would have too much fat.

truth

So would all that be okay in a pre-workout shake? And then I'd just replace the milk with water and cut out the peanut butter and olive oil in the post-workout shake?

i would still say too much fat limit it to 15g from any one source, preffibly extra virgin olive oil

Maybe throw a banana in there to replace the peanut butter or something?

yes

Should I follow the same guidelines for the pre-workout shake that I would for the post-workout shake?
    no, include a little fat pre, none post
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

2 scoops of whey in water. It's always been the post-workout recipe for me I do a high carb meal an hour after the shake.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Much appreciated guys. My diets kinda been messed up so I think I'm gettin a little pudgey, even scared cause I got some gyno-ish symptoms lol.

Hopefully once I fix my diet again it'll go away.

So as far as a little fat in a pre-workout shake, milk instead of water will do?

And is it worthwhile to swap out the oatmeal for dextrose in the post-workout shake? 1g of dextrose per gram of protein? (I'm out of protein and about to place an order for all the whey isolate and some Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Natural on Nutraplanet so would be nice to know ASAP if I should grab some dextrose in that order too)
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

answers in bold

So as far as a little fat in a pre-workout shake, milk instead of water will do?

lots of sugar in milk, i would stick to water but milk isnt terrible.

And is it worthwhile to swap out the oatmeal for dextrose in the post-workout shake?

yes, fast digesting carbs post.. oatmeal is very slow digesting.

1g of dextrose per gram of protein?

no idea i would just say 40 - 50g of any simplier sugar would be fine.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Nice, got back to me just in time for me to put my order in at Nutraplanet before noon.

Thanks a lot everyone. +reps to you all
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

Only time I ever do milk in shakes is before bed. Some may argue the carbs will hinder GH secretion.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

So basically to sum it all up so far.

Pre-workout shake: Water, Whey Isolate, Oatmeal, 15g Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Coconut Oil?)

Post-workout shake: Water, Whey Isolate, Dextrose

Pre-bedtime shake: Milk and Casein only?

Should I throw the banana into the pre or post workout shake? With the dextrose and oatmeal as the primary carb source, I'm guessing I'd have to cut back the amount of 'em for the banana to replace without going too high on the carbs.

And with me weighing only a buck 35 right now, 25grams of protein per shake should be okay too assuming I consume about 60-70g of protein from whole food sources like chicken/tuna/lean beef?

Would 40-50g of oatmeal/dextrose be too much for 25g of protein in a shake?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind.

So basically to sum it all up so far.

Pre-workout shake: Water, Whey Isolate, Oatmeal, 15g Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Coconut Oil?)

Should I throw the banana into the pre or post workout shake? With the dextrose and oatmeal as the primary carb source, I'm guessing I'd have to cut back the amount of 'em for the banana to replace without going too high on the carbs.

And with me weighing only a buck 35 right now, 25grams of protein per shake should be okay too assuming I consume about 60-70g of protein from whole food sources like chicken/tuna/lean beef?

you can do a pre-workout shake I just normally do a meal. Usually i work out around 12-1 pm on these days but I do a banana chopped up in 1 cup oatmeal. I MAY do a shake an hour before but not usually cause I find if I do and do a pre-workout drink I go right to the bathroom haha
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

answers in bold

perfect. Extra virgin olive oil is the better choice, use either that or Macadamia nut oil (which is prob a little better but not much)

good

ehh iffyy

Should I throw the banana into the pre or post workout shake?

i would probably just stick to one or the other, either way 40 - 50g worth

yeah 1.0 - 1.5 g of protein for lb Lean body mass (weight - body fat ) is pretty standerd

no
  12. keeper

Today I was told by a female pro bodybuilder to use apple juice with whey isolate for post w/o protein. I know apple juice has lots of sugar, so this really has me puzzled. I didn't want to question her judgment to her face. She's touchy and easily offended, but she looks amazing. What do y'all think about the apple juice?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Don't take my word for it, some of the other guys will probably chime in and correct me too.

Even though juice and fruit is high in sugar, it's different than refined sugars like high fructose corn syrup that you find in candy/soda.

Carbs are broken down into sugar and used by your body (not sure how fast the insulin spike created by sugar in fruits is though). If she's a pro bodybuilder she must be doing something right and I'm sure the juice would really help to mask the taste of the protein if you find it nasty.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea but there's plenty of people on this forum that restrict their sugar intake. Some of em prefer to mix their protein with crystal light instead.

@ccapone: If you think the pre-bedtime shake is iffy, would you just do straight water+casein? Or something else?
  14. keeper

I have no problem with the taste but she said there are advantages to the natural sugars in combination with the goods in whey isolate. But I've heard that even the sugars in milk aren't good. That's why the confusion.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

Fructose isn't a high GI carb so it doesn't initiate a quick insulin response and doesn't absorb readily. It has a rating between 20-25 (not sure of exact number) dextrose has a rating of around 100 (table sugar is somewhere around 64-65)
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    Today I was told by a female pro bodybuilder to use apple juice with whey isolate for post w/o protein. I know apple juice has lots of sugar, so this really has me puzzled. I didn't want to question her judgment to her face. She's touchy and easily offended, but she looks amazing. What do y'all think about the apple juice?
    yeah apple juice would work, in the past i used cranberry juice.. same idea.

its all about the simple sugars in the beverage, even gaterade would work.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

@ccapone: If you think the pre-bedtime shake is iffy, would you just do straight water+casein? Or something else?

yeah i would prob just use water and casein, but if ur already having two other shakes a day i would prob try to make it a food meal.. like .5 - 1.0 cups of cottage cheese, with 1.0 oz raw nuts... somethin like that. cottage cheese is a form of casein protein.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197.5 lbs.

good info. thanks
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.

Fructose sucks for post work carbs it is low GI doesn't absorb quickly! Use dextrose.
  20. Board Supporter

Don't need to use dextrose. Ridiculously high GI and empty calories to boot. Oatmeal in a shake is more than adequate plus it has some good micronutrition.

BTW I think you people are overcomplicating this. Some fat calories PW are fine. After all your body still has a base metabolism to run. If you are starting to put on an unacceptable amount of body fat realtive to muscle gains then you are eating too many calories overall - it is not just your PWO meal.
  21. purebred

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonj4 View Post
    Only time I ever do milk in shakes is before bed. Some may argue the carbs will hinder GH secretion.
    I also don't think any reduction in GH from carb consumption would be sufficient to have any effect on one's physique. Is there any research showing this even occurs?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post your pre and post-workout shakes!
    By BB Ambitious in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
  2. Keeping Insulin Low with Post Workout Shakes
    By JamieVegas in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
  3. Pro and post workout shakes.
    By KrunkChris in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
  4. Milk in post workout protein shakes
    By biggjohn in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 10:13 PM
  5. count calories from pre/post workout shakes?
    By pinoy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 10:19 PM