Call all Bison experts: quality of meat ?

Warriorz

Awards
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a full bison directly from a farm, but wanted to get a better perspective on how to find the best quality meat. Does anyone have any advice on how the bison should be fed to produce the leanest meat?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a full bison directly from a farm, but wanted to get a better perspective on how to find the best quality meat. Does anyone have any advice on how the bison should be fed to produce the leanest meat?

http://stores.shop.eb ay.com/Crown-Valley-Winery

I've bought plenty of buffalo from these guys. I'm pretty sure they wander around and eat whatever but it's extremely lean. Even when making burgers there is no cook down and there isn't really any fat in the pan. (eb ay gets word filtered)

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

Grassfed will get the leanest meat.
No grain at all

Wetdawg

Wetdawg

Awards
You really don't want to cook it past medium. Will get tuff quick.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
it is illegal in the US to sell buffalo that is not grass fed and free range. which means any time you see it for sale, its organic - don't pay extra for the "organic" label....

Wetdawg

Wetdawg

Awards
Thanks for the info...I'm still trying to figure out chicken eggs?????? Don't they all have to sit on something to dump and egg? or does someone run around in a field looking in the bushes and grass for eggs?

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info...I'm still trying to figure out chicken eggs?????? Don't they all have to sit on something to dump and egg? or does someone run around in a field looking in the bushes and grass for eggs?
Free range? They still have roosts. They just can come and go and don get scalded to induce laying.

Wetdawg

Wetdawg

Awards
Hate to jack a thread: Is there a differance other than price? I can get like 3 dozen for the price of a dozen FR eggs.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Hate to jack a thread: Is there a differance other than price? I can get like 3 dozen for the price of a dozen FR eggs.
Sposeda have higher levels of omega3s but I'd go for prisoner chicken eggs and fish oil over 3.99 a dozen FR eggs.